Need help choosing!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Need help choosing!!!!!

Hi all,

I am just now getting back into biking after many many years of injuries. I am looking at the Dawes Haymaker 1000, Moto 400/600 HT....and looking at LBS Giant Revel 2 and Boulder. I want an entry level/mid grade bike and head is spinning. I have researched a TON on all these models. LBS of course trash anything BD and say poor customer service yada yada, but never seem to knock the fact you can spend $300.00 and get a pretty damn good bike. So, with that said out of the Giant, Moto and Dawes what is my best choice? Giant Revel 2 is $360.00, Giant Boulder '10 is $275.00 and we know what the BD are. Thank you all for your input, I tend to over think and research things but want to make the right decision.....i should also mention there is 2 shops here in Jacksonville that sell/service BD bikes...so I'm not worries about service/repair.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been obsessing over the choices for a couple weeks- I myself am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 600HT. My budget was around $300, then I started reading about all the $800 bikes, then talked myself down to $400 range. My buddy has a Trek 3700 that he spent roughly a little under $400, his components are barely entry level, for the 600HT you are getting some decent parts.

DynoDon
    I wasn't sure about BD so I bought a Fantom Comp, I thought this is such a great bike, I wish I had bought a Fantom Team, so a month later I bought the bike I should have bought in the first place, a Fantom Team, now I have a good back up/loaner.. I sold my old KHS, The Team is an unreal bike, way better then I'll ever be.

2010 Fantom Team
    2009 Fantom Comp
    1999 GT Schwinn, built for Harley-Davidson
    2005 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

mtbr member
    If you can save up just a few more dollars, the $500 range bikes are GREAT starters and will serve you well for years. If you just want something to hold you over while you save up for "the bike", the $300-400 range will be fine but you won't be blown away. For entry-level, I'd highly recommend these:

Moto 700HT - $499
    Moto Fantom 29er - $595

If the budget can't be stretched then:
    Dawes Haymaker 1500 - $419
    Moto 600HT - $399
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What about the Dawes Haymaker 1000? I will be riding to the gym a lot and in FL, it's fine 1 second and pouring the next, so i really want disc brakes. For 319.00 seems like a good bike with disc. I would go to the 600HT or 1500 Haymaker, but I really like sleeping in my bed and not the guest room...which is where my wife would put me for 4-500.00! ha ha

AZ
    banned
    Try to swing the extra ducats for the Haymaker 1500 :

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah that is a sweet ride, the closest bike I rode to that was the Moto 600HT for 399.00, pretty sweet too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm in the same boat, but OK with spending $500-$600. I've read good things on the Fantom 29er, but am having a hard time convincing myself about the bigger wheels. I'm worries about part availability down the line, etc.

Also, for a novice rider, would a 29" be more (or less??) difficult for XC?

Just to add: I was ready to pull the trigger on the 700HT, but they are out of stock in my 19" size. I was told by BD that the 2011 700HTs will have BB5 brakes.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ncnmra
    I'm in the same boat, but OK with spending $500-$600. I've read good things on the Fantom 29er, but am having a hard time convincing myself about the bigger wheels. I'm worries about part availability down the line, etc. There are not going to be problems with parts availability , most of the parts are standard MTB .

Also, for a novice rider, would a 29" be more (or less??) difficult for XC? Depends on the course or trail , buff single track it will be much better IMHO .

Just to add: I was ready to pull the trigger on the 700HT, but they are out of stock in my 19" size. I was told by BD that the 2011 700HTs will have BB5 brakes.
    Swap them out for BB7's for the adjustable inner pad . Good luck .

Members who have read this thread: 0