Need Advice on Bike???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Need Advice on Bike???

I'm looking to buy a new mountain bike and Motobecanes seem like they are a great deal. Currently I am trying to look at the different models and confused. Specifically, I am confused with the difference between the Fantom Hardtails and the Fly Hardtails. Also I am looking at the Fantom full suspensions and am looking at the difference between the Team and the DS.

One concern I have is that I want a bike that is durable. I plan to ride the bike in a variety of ways. Cross country riding, but also some mountain riding with friends. I am a bigger guy (6'1 230 lbs) so I want a frame and bike that will be durable for a person my size. If that means going wiht a bike that is a little heavier that is fine. Any advice would be appreciated. If someone could help sort out the different frames and my options that would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I don't think the lighter frame will be any weaker than the heavier frame. I would go with the traditionally spoked wheels, the ones with Speedisc rims, over the Vueltas. More spokes + lower spoke tension = slightly more durable, but more important, a more repairable wheel.

The main difference, besides the parts specs, is the material of the frame. They're both aluminum, but one uses X6, which i assume is 6000 series aluminum, probably 6061, the other uses Kinesium, which is fancier than 6061. The numbers have to do with different alloying metals. It's fairly generic aluminum. Kinesium is supposed to be 25% stronger for the same weight, but the Kinesium frames are lighter, so I'd guess strength is a wash between the two.

Feb 2009

Choices Fantom Team or DS

I thought about the same choices, and selected the Team - got it 2 weeks ago and am happy I did for the following reasons:
    1. better front and rear suspension (for xc altho less travel)
    2. Better - crank all carbon some people say they are afraid of carbon here but in mtbr forum they didnt report much failure.
    3. Better frame... better material I suspect
    4. Lower weight due to over all higher end package

I did have to change several things and they were pricey, due to wanting to make the team more durable and ridable (tires and saddle and cassette would not need to be replaced for DS):
    I replaced chain and cassette because it was an 11X28 I needed a 32 on grannie. I replaced sky saddle with a wtb light saddle with more comfort. I replaced grips and bars with a carbon rizer since it wasnt wide enough for good control for me. I replaced the tires with 2.0 pythons tubeless ready plus stans kit - the tires are wayyy tooo light duty for real riding on rocky single track in so calif.

Let me know if this helps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the response. So if I am looking to use this on the mountain and dont want to have to immediately replace parts it may actually be wise just to stick with the Fantom Comp DS? How do you find the suspension to be. Is there much pedal bob?

Feb 2009

Choices Fantom Team or DS

Well I also an 240 and 6 ft, I used the Moto Fantom Fly and used to have a very light Specialized race hard tail. I tried a full suspension in 2001 and switched back to hard tails. I set up the new Fantom team for my high weight (135 psi in preload I think?). When climbing I am still bobbing, and I can feel the bobbing a little on the flats, I suppose we heavy guys are used to using our weight more disproportionately on the downstroke and not circle pedaling like we are supposed to. Anyway bottom line here, I lock out the rear on long grinds and its great, on the up and down hills while fully suspended I have thebobing a bit but its very much better going over rock gardens and ruts and drop offs, I stay up with my riding group.

Yes I did consider heavily getting the ds alone - almost did it. The cassette was like 69 for XT and 30 for HG chain 60 for the saddle 80 for carbon bars, 20 for grips tires plus stans were 100. All those except the grips are un necessary on the DS. Quite a few people dont need to change out of the 11x28 cassette - its like 2nd or 3rd largest gear in your current cassette, so when people are around me with single speed or maybe to rings on front - maybe i can use a 28. The tires were too light duty - very bad , the bars are almost OK - i changed them before the bike came thinking they were small like the fly xc, but they were longer - still not as long as i like. Saddle is ultra lite but some people like rock hard and light.

Members who have read this thread: 0