My 700 W/upgrades- Mtbr.com

Apr 2008

My 700 W/upgrades

I can honestly say that my bike weighs in at 28 pounds.

I have upgraded
    Thomson Stem
    Thomson Seatpost
    Thomson Headset TopCap
    Vuelta XRP Pro Wheels
    Kenda Klimax XC Lite Tires
    Easton EA70 Handlebars

I also have on order but have not yet installed
    08' Easton Flatboy Pedals
    600 x 1.5 Fox Spring

May 2008
    Wow what a difference. Very Nice man. Those wheels are super slick... great addition, they really set the whole thing off. I'll post new pics of my 600 when I get all the parts in. So far I have on order:

Truvativ Hussefelt pedals (I don't really need replaceable pins so I went with these)
    Thomson 120mm x 15 degree rise stem (came with free Sette Duo bars on price point)
    Easton EC70 Monkeylite Carbon Bar 25.4mm x 660mm (great price on ebay! Look for the Abaxo ebay store)
    Thomson Top Cap
    FSA Carbon Headset Spacer

I'll continue to look for a seatpost that fits my style. I may break down and spend the money on the Thomson. That will have to do for a while, save maybe some tires. I'm starting to feel the pinch in the wallet too.
    Last edited by SpankyCSW; 05-18-2008 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great choice on the wheels. That bike looks badass!
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Growing kids & crops

Cranks

Hey Agent, bike looks saweeeet!
    Quick Question... Have you had any problems or issues with the crankset? I have been hearing mixed reviews on the Truvative cranks
    Little red riding dude....

Apr 2008
    Nope, no issues at all. I've banged it up a couple of times and the crankset keeps on going. I've must have torn nearly all my pants on the top ring, all you hear is "PING!" and it just continues rolling true. The arms are beefy enough to take on some good hits so in my opinion this is a great crankset.

@ Spanky- Now I can't wait for pics of your ride with the new upgrades. You got me interested in the FSA carbon spacers....

@ ljsmith- Thanks bro, I appreciate that coming from a hardcore rider like yourself.

May 2008
    Yeah I got a 20mm (I think that will replace the ones on there exactly) for like 5 bucks. It's not much, but it cleans up the front a little bit. Mine has three spacers on it now, a ten and two fives...I think. Anyway, just thought a little upgrade like that would be a nice touch. I found it at ebikestop.com. The stuff is taking a while to get here (DHL) but I think it'll be in tomorrow. Here's hoping. The other components should be in this week, so I'll throw some new pics up after I get everything on.

I've decided to take the rivet out of the post tube, I think. That way I can ride low when I'm commuting and jack it up a little when I hit the trails. I think I'll go with a Thomson 250mm, but I'll have to wait until after I get a little extra dough.

PS - I've already shredded a couple pairs of pants too. I work at a bank and my khakis have snags on the cuffs. I may have to do the 40 Year Old Virgin trick and tuck them into my sock. I'll look like a douche but it'll save me money on pants. LOL.

May 2008
    Got the pedals and the headset spacer in yesterday. The 20mm carbon spacer did the trick, exact replacement. I don't think it weighs any less, but honestly, on a component that small it would be a negligible amount anyway. It does however dress the front end up a litte, and for $5 you can't beat it. The Truvativ Hussefelt pedals are great, providing a wider base for my big feet. They seem to be well built, and the color looks great with my Matte Slate frame. I think they're pretty comparable to the Easton Flatboys that you ordered Dice.

I should be getting my new stem and bars sometime later this week. Can't wait to get those on there.

Apr 2008
    Nice bro! you are gonna love the stem and bars, it really transformed my bike. It really makes a big difference. And whats better you got the Carbon, which is gonna make it look badass.
    Last edited by AGENT_DICE; 05-20-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Just Gettin Started
    thats real nice. I've had my o7 700DS almost a year now and am thinking of upgrading stuff. Stem, pedals, bars and wheels/tires. if anyone has suggestions let me know

May 2008
    I think any of the components from Agent_Dice's list, or from my list of upgrades would be a great place to start. It all depends on your budget and what you use your bike for. I know that he and I are short distance commuting and light trail riding. Our needs may be different from yours.

The best advice I can think to give is make sure you get good components, the best you can afford. The parts I've purchased will last me a loooong time. If I ever decide to upgrade my frame, I can transfer many of these parts to the new one. Do it a little at a time as your budget affords you to. It's great to have a little project now and again, and keeping things fresh makes me want to ride even more.

Apr 2008
    Spanky is absolutely right. Get better components that are known to last instead of cheap ones. Do your research in the reviews section of this forum (link right underneath the search button on top of page). What I like may not be what you like. I totally like Thomson components, if they made more stuff my bike would be 100% Thomson, hell it would be "Thomsonbecane". My friends tell me that the only cheap thing on my bike now is the frame LOL.

Members who have read this thread: 0