mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Motobecane warranty policy?

Ok I just ordered a fly team ti 29er and can barely wait for it to get here. The only complaint I have so far is what I have read on the warranty policy. It states that the warranty will be void it any modifications to the frame are made including removing of decals??? WTF how is removing a sticker going to effect the integrety of the frame. My ultimate goal is to removal all stickers and have frame bead blasted because I much prefer the look of dull gray titanium color which is how it should have come from the get go. After bb I would put all but the fly team 29 sticker back on. After all you should represent a manf that would sell a bike of this quality for such a low price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Voiding a warranty just by removing the decals does seem unreasonable to me too.

I checked the decals on my 2010 Fly Ti 29er and they seem to be painted on and not really decals. Am I wrong? The decal at the top of the seat tube that gives the specs of the titanium used in the frame is obviously a decal. The others don't seem to be decals though.

Another bike I have, a 2010 Aluminum Fly Team 26er seems to have Fly Team and Motobecane painted on too.

How do you put decals back on after removing them?

The wording in the warranty on the Motobecane.com site bothers me is this: "This warranty is void in its entirety by any modification of the frame, fork, components..." So, if I put on a wider handlebar, a different seat post or different shifters, will that void my warranty? What does modification of a component mean?

There's one other question I have about the carbon crash replacement warranty. Is this a new policy? My son hit a dog in July '09 and it sheared off the carbon fork on his 2007 Moto Le Champion road bike. We contacted bikesdirect and they simply said they couldn't help and to contact bike island or other dealer to buy a replacement fork.
    Cycling - What else is there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Frame Warranty

Don't worry about the warranty.

If you read the fine print, you have to send your complete bike in if you break your frame, which I did. They want to see the condition of the bike and all the components when the frame broke. They would then charge labor to replace the parts on the new frame.

I opted for their crash replacement frame for $150.00, which was still cheaper. Just for the record, my frame was about 5 years old. It broke in the middle of the down tube on the second loop of an easy trail (Island Lake, Brighton, MI).

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    What warranty says these things?

"This warranty is void in its entirety by any modification of the frame, fork, or components"

"This warranty does not cover:
    ■Normal wear and tear
    ■Improper assembly
    ■Improper follow-up maintenance
    ■Installation of parts or accessories not originally intended for, or compatible with, the bicycle as sold
    ■Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
    ■Labor charges for part replacement or changeover"

"This warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective item and is the sole remedy of the warranty"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Which company says these things?

"The warranty claim forfeits in the cases of:
    -Misuse/abuse of the product
    -Use of the product for other purposes than intended
    -Non-compliance with the operating instructions (e.g. failure to perform the
    required regular maintenance by a ______ dealer)
    -Neglect and/or wrong maintenance
    -Damage from accidents or falls
    -Alterations of the product or the specifications (paintwork, changes of the
    geometry, inadmissible add-on parts...)
    -Repairs by not authorised dealers"

~~~~~~~

Which company says this?

"This warranty also excludes:
    1. Commercial use, racing or competition, stunting, jumping, trick riding, ramp riding, aggressive riding, riding with excessive loads, lack of technical skill, competence, or experience of the user.
    2. Bicycle frames, which have been repaired (e.g. welded or bonded), repainted, or had the original decals removed.
    3. Frames, forks, wheels, axles, handlebars, and stems, which are bent from just riding along, can be a sign of misuse or abuse and are not covered under this warranty.
    4. Personal transportation costs or product freight costs to or from an authorized ------- ----, Inc., bicycle dealer.
    5. Any additional costs associated with the incompatibility of existing parts and the replacement frame or fork."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note that the Motobecane warranty is completely main stream - very much like the warranty of all other bicycle companies.

And no company I know of covers used bikes: so buying with any warranty is more protection than buying anything used.

Maybe you do not get why big companies do not warranty modified bicycles: maybe you not not see why companies exclude labor or transportation charges from covered warranty items; BUT luckily the defect rate on high grade bikes like Motobecane, Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, Fuji, Felt, etc is so low that the vast majority of owners never see a defective bicycle.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by potomtnbiker
    Don't worry about the warranty.

If you read the fine print, you have to send your complete bike in if you break your frame, which I did. They want to see the condition of the bike and all the components when the frame broke. They would then charge labor to replace the parts on the new frame.

I opted for their crash replacement frame for $150.00, which was still cheaper. Just for the record, my frame was about 5 years old. It broke in the middle of the down tube on the second loop of an easy trail (Island Lake, Brighton, MI).

Have you been told that we would charge labor on a defective frame swap? We never have; so I am kinda wondering where you heard that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Mike, thanks for replying to this thread. But just to clairify if I remove the sticker and bead blast the frame my warranty will be void? Even if it was clearly a manufacture defect?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit382
    Mike, thanks for replying to this thread. But just to clairify if I remove the sticker and bead blast the frame my warranty will be void? Even if it was clearly a manufacture defect?

The removal of decals and then bead blasting the frame willl clearly void all bike warranties that I know of; including the Motobecane warranty. {the decal is the small part of this - the bead blasting is a large issue as it can be done correctly or incorrectly}

However, that does not mean a true defect would not be handled if it occurs [with us or others]. what it means is you have no warranty after you do this -- but that it is now up to the manufacturer to cover an issue if they feel like they should.

We cover 'defect' claims sometimes that are on bikes that are [a] not covered or [b] not actual defects to start with.

Now I can tell you that the frame factory Motobecane uses on Ti frames is beyonf serrious about QC and reputation - they are more like obcessed. If they was a true defect on one of their frames they would clearly make another and give it to us. But by removing decals and bead blasting you make the process more difficult; if a defect ever occured; which it probably would not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Warranty

My information came directly from Motobecane. I would have had to ship the bike to Florida from Michigan.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    My information came directly from Motobecane. I would have had to ship the bike to Florida from Michigan.

of course, in the case of frame defect claims the entire bike must be inspected to determine cause. this is the standard in the industry; and it is the only way to know what occurred.

my point was that even though Motobecane and ALL other warranties exclude labor; I have never charged labor on a defect

Labor and transportation costs are two different items

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I am not complaining too much. I did get 5 - 6 years use out of it. Although I did not do jumps or ride it particular hard, I did do some hard trails: Potawatomie, Torn Shirt, Highland, etc. And, I would do at least one race a year: Iceman, so I guess that voids the warranty. I thought it was more of a fatigue issue than something that I did. It broke in the middle of the down tube on the second loop of Island Lake Trail, which is pretty tame.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    I am not complaining too much. I did get 5 - 6 years use out of it. Although I did not do jumps or ride it particular hard, I did do some hard trails: Potawatomie, Torn Shirt, Highland, etc. And, I would do at least one race a year: Iceman, so I guess that voids the warranty. I thought it was more of a fatigue issue than something that I did. It broke in the middle of the down tube on the second loop of Island Lake Trail, which is pretty tame.

Without seeing the entire bike; noone can determine what happened to the frame. This is why factories want total inspection of defect claims on frames. And where you are riding at the time of a defect appearing; does not show the cause.

But yes; you are correct; racing voids the warranty on all brands I know of. This is a bit strange on its face; but the is a reason manufacturer limit warranty to 'normal' use. However, Motobecane like many other brands will warranty a varified defect; even on a bike that has been raced, had decals removed, or had some minor component changes. At that point it becomes a judgement call and all companies I know of; including Motobecane; tend to err in the favor of the consumer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thank you. I probably would have been upset if it was only 1 - 2 years old. It did not owe me anything. The crash replacement frame was still a good deal.

mtbr member
    Mike-

I am considering buying a Fly Ti 29er (if you get more in stock), but I definately want to remove the decals. My friend has an older litespeed Ti frame with all the decals removed, I love the look and would like to replicated it with a Motobecane. I know that this may void the warranty but is there a prefered method of decal removal that you would recommend?

mtbr member
    It is really pretty normal. Companies always have overly specific and strict legal protection for the worst case scenario.

However, most of the time they are more than generous with honoring their products even in iffy cases. A small amount of money to replace a frame is nothing compared to turning you off of their brand for the rest of their life and telling everyone you ride with your situation.

But BB blasting is not a good idea if you want to be sure of keeping your warranty.
    -Nathaniel

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanieleck
    Companies always have overly specific and strict legal protection for the worst case scenario.

However, most of the time they are more than generous with honoring their products even in iffy cases. A small amount of money to replace a frame is nothing compared to turning you off of their brand for the rest of their life and telling everyone you ride with your situation.
    I can verify that bikesdirect(Mike) will work with you if you have a warranty issue. I had a Fly 9357 frame crack on the top tube near the seat tube welds. We came to a more than fair solution, even though I had technically voided the frame warranty with a longer seatpost than came stock on the bike.
    Cycling - What else is there?

Members who have read this thread: 2