Motobecane Warranty Experience? Positive or Negative, Post Here!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Motobecane Warranty Experience? Positive or Negative, Post Here!

BikesDirect has my eye but a member raised a great point today, Motobecanes warranty. One bad experience and it could be costly.

Anyone had any experience with them?

T

poser Administrator
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=588351

just for your information, a bunch of info on motobecanes/bikes direct warranty processes.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

SS Pusher Man
    YOu might as well lock this thread.....you know where it is headed.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

ballbuster
    I dealt with BikesDirect before I bought my Motobecane Fantom29er frame. The guy was super nice and willing to go the extra mile for me. I wanted to order a Large frame a-la-carte and the site said they were out of stock. On a hail mary, I emailed him, asking when more would come in. The guy responded within an hour, and said he would go check the warehouse himself. A couple hours later, he emailed me and said he located one. I bought it, rode it for a year, and could not have been happier for a low rent frame.

It wasn't about the warranty, but it speaks to his customer service.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    This is very 29er specific.

Apr 2007
    Biggest thing to worry about is that YOU are responsible for shipping charges both ways, as well as labor for packing, assembly/reassembly (if applicable). Last time I checked, it was $75 to ship one way. $150 + any other fees is a lot to pay--especially if they don't feel your claim is no good.

If you buy from a local bike shop, simply just drop it off.

DynoDon
    I know people with other brands that have had cracked frames, they got a better frame but were responsable for putting the bike together.
    I have had not warranty problems at all with 2 Motobecanes.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Biggest thing to worry about is that YOU are responsible for shipping charges both ways, as well as labor for packing, assembly/reassembly (if applicable). Last time I checked, it was $75 to ship one way. $150 + any other fees is a lot to pay--especially if they don't feel your claim is no good.

I have never charged labor of a bike with a defect - even though all warranties I know of state labor is responsibility of customer

There is a cost to taking bikes to your LBS
    If there is a defect; we ship back back for free in 48 states [even though not called for by any warranty]
    Shipping thru us costs $40 within 48 states

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    two excellent experiences here with BD warranty...

1 - bought a 500HT in early January. realized almost 1 1/2 months later (more close to 3 weeks out of warranty) that i wanted the 700HT instead. even after admitting i've put several miles on the 500HT (although in still new condition), BD let me exchange it for the 700HT. of course, i paid for shipping the 500HT back to BD. shipping would have been $40 thru BD's UPS account. i get a FedEx discount so i shipped back for a little less.

2 - on the 700HT, i found that the large chain ring was bent (probably in shipping). took photo and sent to BD cust service. they sent me a new chainring immediately. no need for me to send the bent chainring back to them first.

these are very recent experiences. hope this helps.

mtbr member
    I'm like manabiker, 2 Motos (700HT and a Fly Pro) with no warranty issues.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut

Nice try though.

newfydog
    May 2009
    I had one of the prototypes of the 29er ti. I cracked the frame storming up a steep climb (I'm no animal, and have witnesses!) They had a gusset where the headtube joins the downtube, and the frame cracked at the edge of the gusset. They replaced the frame, and the new frame has a better design at that joint. Seems the gusset was not needed, in fact it tranferred stress to the thin part of the tube.

It took a few weeks to get the frame, because they were out of stock but they eventually stripped a frame to send it to me.

I was impressed by their service, and bought my third Motobecane TI bike a few weeks later, a cyclocross bike.

mtbr member
    The RockShox SID on my 26" Fly Ti was bad out of the box...didn't hold air in the positive chamber. Shipped the fork back to BD and received a replacement. Took a little while but I had no complaints. There was no hassle about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You will have a hard time finding anyone that has had a bad experience with Bikesdirect. Everyone I know that has had a problem, BD is johnny on the spot with help.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought a fantom pro ds. I had an issue with the shifter and emailed them on Saturday. BD replied by Monday at noon that they were sending a new shifter (xtr dyna sys). New shifter arrived on Wednesday with return shipping. No issues at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone ever had an issue with parts not being included in the box? I just put together my Fantom Pro HT last night and there are no bolts for mounting the calipers to the front fork. For all you who've put these together, where were these bolts in the box? I've gone through everything in the box, haven't thrown anything out, and combed over all materials. I have an email off to BD but no response yet.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drew8mc View Post
    Has anyone ever had an issue with parts not being included in the box? I just put together my Fantom Pro HT last night and there are no bolts for mounting the calipers to the front fork. For all you who've put these together, where were these bolts in the box? I've gone through everything in the box, haven't thrown anything out, and combed over all materials. I have an email off to BD but no response yet.

Seriously, if you are waiting for two bolts your local hardware store can hook you up and you will be riding in no time. Otherwise it may take a few days but BD will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew8mc View Post
    As best as I can remember they were in a small bag with the manufacturer's brake booklet.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Only positive experiences between me and the 5 or so other purchases friends and family have made. No, they'll never replace your local bike shop for service, but if you can do the mechanic'ing yourself, have a friend, or local bike shop willing to help you'll be very happy with bikes direct.

In my case, bikedirect very promptly served the function of a local bike shop by acting as the liaison between me and SRAM when I had an issues with the brakes on my 29er. Only thing I had to do was the install. I'm more than pleased.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Pretty minor as warranties go, but I got a Fantom DS recently and broke the chain on about the sixth ride. Emailed BD with a photo of chain on a Monday and had a replacement in my mailbox on Friday.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had a bottome bracket the was missing a specially designed washer, sent an email to BD the had a whole new bottom bracked shipped out same day.

mtbr member
    I cracked a frame yesterday on a bike purchased from BD spring of 2009. I can only assume I will deal directly with Motobecane on this one. Given the rumors I've heard/read I am worried, got a race Saturday and Sunday this coming weekend I sent MB an email last evening with the video below, proof of purchase from BD. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You should email BD Supoport.( [email protected] ) The frames have a 5 year warranty. BD will get it taken care of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmas View Post
    You should email BD Supoport.( [email protected] ) The frames have a 5 year warranty. BD will get it taken care of.
    Thanks! I will get right on that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heffster View Post
    Only positive experiences between me and the 5 or so other purchases friends and family have made. No, they'll never replace your local bike shop for service, but if you can do the mechanic'ing yourself, have a friend, or local bike shop willing to help you'll be very happy with bikes direct.

In my case, bikedirect very promptly served the function of a local bike shop by acting as the liaison between me and SRAM when I had an issues with the brakes on my 29er. Only thing I had to do was the install. I'm more than pleased.
    I'd also like to add to my previous post, after a recent customer/service experience, bikes direct is actually quite fast. Whether it's new bicycle shipment, or parts delivery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
    I cracked a frame yesterday on a bike purchased from BD spring of 2009. I can only assume I will deal directly with Motobecane on this one. Given the rumors I've heard/read I am worried, got a race Saturday and Sunday this coming weekend I sent MB an email last evening with the video below, proof of purchase from BD. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Ryan

BD has been absolutely perfect in working with me on the warranty replacement. The only fault my hyper-critical mind can find is the lack of phone contact for them.

Other than no phone, they have responded pretty quickly, about 6-8 business hours or so, to every email. The quality of service is as good as every LBS I have visited and equal to other online'ish companies like Saris and Jenson (If you deal with them you know what I mean ) I needed a frame size increase and was able to purchase a warranty upgrade to a Titanium frame. Zero hassle with both requests, top notch service.

I had to pay for freight both ways, but that allows me to ship air freight and get my frame replaced in less than one business week. With two races coming up this weekend, they really came through for me. Disassembly and assembly required, but I feel you should know how to fix your own bike anyways. Zero surprise there with an online retailer anyways.

Initial bike orders (two, so far) and for parts like derailleur hangers have always been quick. These guys are legit! Two thumbs up:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
    BD has been absolutely perfect in working with me on the warranty replacement. The only fault my hyper-critical mind can find is the lack of phone contact for them.

Other than no phone, they have responded pretty quickly, about 6-8 business hours or so, to every email. The quality of service is as good as every LBS I have visited and equal to other online'ish companies like Saris and Jenson (If you deal with them you know what I mean ) I needed a frame size increase and was able to purchase a warranty upgrade to a Titanium frame. Zero hassle with both requests, top notch service.

I had to pay for freight both ways, but that allows me to ship air freight and get my frame replaced in less than one business week. With two races coming up this weekend, they really came through for me. Disassembly and assembly required, but I feel you should know how to fix your own bike anyways. Zero surprise there with an online retailer anyways.

Initial bike orders (two, so far) and for parts like derailleur hangers have always been quick. These guys are legit! Two thumbs up:
    How much was the upgrade to the ti frame? if you dont mine me asking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowboarderdude View Post
    How much was the upgrade to the ti frame? if you dont mine me asking.
    $550 plus the aforementioned shipping charges of course.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Hi new member here. I'm about to find out how their warranty service is as I just bought a Ti Fantom 29, received it on monday evening - I haven't even been able to take it out on a real mountain bike ride and I've already encountered an issue. The Reba RL shock isn't holding it's pressure (seemingly on both positive and negative). Upon Investigating it, i discovered this: nvm... apparently I can't post links yet.

I'll let ya' know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what dia. is the tube that the front deraileur goes on with the 2010 fly pro ti 29er 17.5" frame?

mtbr member
    Another positive Motobecane warranty issue. I have had my Fantom 29 FS for a about two weeks when I started to have shifting problems….thinking it was your basic cable stretching….I made a few adjustments and it didn’t fix the problem. I was looking over my bike and discovered my derailleur had a crack and a piece of the casing was missing. I emailed bikes direct and had a response within a few houses telling a new XO derailleur was on its way.Motobecane Warranty Experience? Positive or Negative, Post Here!-img_1123-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    I have never charged labor of a bike with a defect - even though all warranties I know of state labor is responsibility of customer
    That attitude right there and your regular presence in here is why I have a Motobecane in my home. The more I read about BD in here, the more at ease I am with my online purchase.

mtbr member
    the more i read about the postive stuff about bikes direct the more im ready to pull the trigger on a FS 29er.....

and the one i want i out of stock
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

newfydog
    May 2009
    Wow! That is one clean cassette!

mtbr member
    I had 2 small and separate issues with a GT bought through BD for our oldest daughter this spring. One of the rotors was warped/dished really bad so they sent out a new one, a nicer one. Then later on I was swapping the 170 cranks off my wife's 29" with the 175 set on the GT and the outer threads were basically unusable to remove the drive side crank. I took pictures, sent them in, they sent out a new crankset.

I was able to eventually get the crank off, but doubt it would happen a second time.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great experience with me too. I ordered the Gravity 29.4 and put it together myself. But I failed to tighten the compression bolt on the left side of the bottom bracket. After the first 25 miles, I pedaled the crank arm right off the bike and lost that bolt. I emailed a pic of the missing piece. 24 hours later a replacement bolt was sent priority mail. Don't let the lack of a phone contact scare you. They are reasonably responsive by email.

I learned from my mistake and took my bike to an lbs for a tune up. They realigned the bars, re-routed the front brake line, and adjusted the deraileurs. That was $30 very well spent.

So far, I couldn't be more pleased with the experience.

mtbr member
    Wife ordered me 17" FantomPro 29'er. I got it put it together. It was way to big. I emailed BD and told them what the deal was. I shipped it back on a Monday and they shipped me a 15" on Tuesday (a full week before they received the 17").

Nothing but good things to say about them so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
    Wife ordered me 17" FantomPro 29'er. I got it put it together. It was way to big. I emailed BD and told them what the deal was. I shipped it back on a Monday and they shipped me a 15" on Tuesday (a full week before they received the 17").

Nothing but good things to say about them so far.
    how tall are you and what is your inseam? curious because i believe that would be the size that i would need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    how tall are you and what is your inseam? curious because i believe that would be the size that i would need.
    5' 6" and 29.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
    5' 6" and 29.5
    awesome, thanks for the info. I'm 5'6"/30" so thats right up my ally

repped

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    awesome, thanks for the info. I'm 5'6"/30" so thats right up my ally

repped
    Their 29'er 15" will be a good fit.

HTFU!
    Don't visit the Moto threads much anymore as I have passed on my Fantom Team (26er) to my wife who does not ride nearly as much as I (still a great bike that I ride on occasion). I did post my experience a couple years ago when my LBS noticed a broken bolt (part of the rear suspension). Though it was most likely my fault, Mike and BD still replaced the $50 part. Like many, I was initially a skeptic when I purchased the bike (worried about an internet purchase like any newb might), but I have since shared my experience with others who inevitably decided to purchase bikes from BD.
    I mostly ride my SS now, but will soon be in the market for a geared 29er and maybe a new road/cross bike. The only bike(s) I am really considering are the Ti bikes from BD (or a Ti frame w/fork for a custom build). No worries about purchasing from BD whatsoever.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    Hi new member here. I'm about to find out how their warranty service is as I just bought a Ti Fantom 29, received it on monday evening - I haven't even been able to take it out on a real mountain bike ride and I've already encountered an issue. The Reba RL shock isn't holding it's pressure (seemingly on both positive and negative). Upon Investigating it, i discovered this: nvm... apparently I can't post links yet.

I'll let ya' know how it goes.
    I just wanted to follow up. BD took care of me in a timely matter in getting my defective rockshox echanged with an advanced RMA. I'm impressed by their professionalism and promptness. The only delay was because shipping time which is the only real drawback in purchasing from an online retailer.

However I *may* have yet another new problem with my new shock (it figures right? I must be a bad luck charm), I'm not sure if this behavior is normal or not so I'd rather not bother BD about every little thing unless there's a real issue. But I need to post a few more times apparently before I can even make a thread about it.

Edit: Jury is still out whether my new replacement shock is bad. http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...lt-739291.html
    Last edited by KVW; 09-21-2011 at 03:40 PM.

S*it Happens!
    I‘ve ordered four bikes from BD over the years and only once did I need to return something. I ordered a Fantom CX and the rear wheel was toast from the get go. However, everything worked out as it should and I received a replacement wheel.

No drama, No BS.

Thanks Matt.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just bought an old stock 2010 Fantom DS Team from BD. The rear shock was defective and failed before I even rode the bike. The shock is a Monarch 4.2 with the swivel air fill and the valve sheared off while the bike was on my repair stand. I contacted BD and they offered to send a new valve or a new shock. I told them I didn't trust that valve setup on the Monarch 4.2 and asked them to switch me out for an RT3. They agreed no questions asked. I have an RT3 on the way with an envelope to send the defective 4.2 back to Rock Shox. So far the defective shock is a bummer but BD's service has been spot on. They have respond to emails quickly and are doing what they need to to keep me happy. Couldn't ask for more.

Members who have read this thread: 2