Motobecane Warranty- Mtbr.com

Feb 2008

Motobecane Warranty

Hey all,

I just got in my Motobecane Fly team frame and am wondering how I can get Motobecane to honor the warranty in the case of if something happens to the frame. I know they have a lifetime warranty, but I ordered mine brand new off of bikeisland.com and they did not provide me with a invoice. I paid them with PAYPAL so i guess that is my receipt? I am sort of lost here because it is new and I need to register it or whatever motobecane wants you to do. Also motobecane's site is very basic and they provide you with no phone numbers at all or how to even go about how to warranty your bike in the case of damage. I need some real help here.

mtbr member
    well go to bikesdirect.com, and there are phone numbers on there, as well as email address, and mike (the owner) frequents this site often, so it's not hard to get a hold of someone to take care of a problem, should you have one that requires replacement....anyway, ride within the limits of the bike, and you should have no problems....

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by snobrder5
    well go to bikesdirect.com, and there are phone numbers on there, as well as email address, and mike (the owner) frequents this site often, so it's not hard to get a hold of someone to take care of a problem, should you have one that requires replacement....anyway, ride within the limits of the bike, and you should have no problems....
    Is there a phone #? All I saw on the website was an email address and fax #. I have some questions, and would rather talk to a real salesperson.

Air Pirate
    This is another thing that is making me lean away from the purchase of a Moto. Please don't think I am bashing Bikesdirect, Moto, or Mike, but not having an easy way to access customer service for warranty issues or for questions before and after purchase does not make a good impression, nor does it make me feel safe in making a purchase.

I understand the low-overhead-relates-directly-to-lower-prices thing, and I know having someone to answer customer service calls can be expensive, therfore pushing up the price.

I just do not have much confidence after reading some of the stuff on this forum. I understand using the bike within its limits, but at times things do happen that require a trip into the shop for warranty stuff or even a repair of a brand specific part. With any of the bikes I can buy at a shop I can be sure I can find a dealer for that brand in just about any city and receive the needed repair or part.

It appears getting a claim through the pipeline with Moto is a crapshoot. As far as finding parts for the suspension if something blows up, I have not seen that addressed on this board, but how universal are the pivots, busings, bolts, etc? If I buy a Moto, am I going to be left out in the cold when it comes time to fix something?

mtbr member
    man if you go into it with a negative outlook on whether or not you're going to be able to find parts for it, then you're NOT going to find parts for it...plain and simple....i've ridden my comp ds for over a year, and ridden it HARD, none of the pivots are loose....the only thing that ever came loose, was the top shock bushing, which is a rock shox part, not a moto part, which i simply got the part number off sram's website, plugged that part number into BTI's website (a national parts distributer), and gave BTI's part number to my local bike shop, and they ordered it for me...installed it in about 5 minutes....i've said it before, and i'll say it again, if you don't think you're up for the challenge of working on your own bike, then dont buy a motobecane....the lack of down the street service basically makes it so you are your own mechanic, or you're going to waste a lot of money at the LBS paying shop rate, which for someone like me that does all their own work, is a rip off....also, which bike are you looking at? it does make a difference, because if you buy a 300ht, i can guarantee you're going to break something quickly....most likely a chain, or a rear derailleur....that is if you ride hard....if you buy a fantom pro or team, you're not going to have little parts breaking all the time, b/c they're spec'd with tough parts....if you buy cheap, you should EXPECT to break, and EXPECT to upgrade when they do break, not just get a warranty replacement...

also, you do realize that bikes direct has lots of retail outlets in florida, and texas and arizona i think....all these are dealers that if you have a problem and HAVE to speak to someone about it, they'd be more than happy to discuss it with you....i'm sure yellowpages.com can help you out with finding their numbers if you need them....

Air Pirate
    I do all my own work, having been a bike shop mechanic when I was in college, and handle just about every fix I ever need, shy of building a wheel. As far as buying cheap, I will be going into the purchase being able to obtain just about whatever I want, money is no object, so I would be looking at a Fantom DS Team. What I am concerned with is the length of time or the ability at all to address problems. It isn't going into things negatively, it is called being realistic. Just because I can handle all my own fixes doesn't make an elusive part any easier to obtain. It doesn't matter if Bikesdirect has a storefront in Arizona that I can telephone, if I can't walk into a shop within my general metropolitan area then I consider this to be "geographically undesireable". I still get the feeling it is easier to get left hanging without your ride if something goes wonky by going to Moto route.

Bottom line it looks like with Moto for the cash I get the nicest componentry but little to no backup in case of failure.

With a "mainstream" brand I get a lesser componentry level but a greater potential to be handled the right way when a problem comes around.

mtbr member
    i dont understand what problems you are foreseeing...like i said, the bushing thing with my frame is a normal fact of riding a full suspension bike, and BD is going to tell you the same thing if that happens to you...as for bearings, if you email them, they might have a frame around they can get bearings off of, but they use standard bearings....not hard to find....i dont understand what kind of "elusive" parts you thinking of...moto's use standard parts....if you buy cheap, those parts wont last that long, and you'll prob need to upgrade them anyway, rather than get the same thing put back on in a warranty situation....

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    This is another thing that is making me lean away from the purchase of a Moto. Please don't think I am bashing Bikesdirect, Moto, or Mike, but not having an easy way to access customer service for warranty issues or for questions before and after purchase does not make a good impression, nor does it make me feel safe in making a purchase.

I understand the low-overhead-relates-directly-to-lower-prices thing, and I know having someone to answer customer service calls can be expensive, therfore pushing up the price.

I just do not have much confidence after reading some of the stuff on this forum. I understand using the bike within its limits, but at times things do happen that require a trip into the shop for warranty stuff or even a repair of a brand specific part. With any of the bikes I can buy at a shop I can be sure I can find a dealer for that brand in just about any city and receive the needed repair or part.

It appears getting a claim through the pipeline with Moto is a crapshoot. As far as finding parts for the suspension if something blows up, I have not seen that addressed on this board, but how universal are the pivots, busings, bolts, etc? If I buy a Moto, am I going to be left out in the cold when it comes time to fix something?
    Hi

let me reassure you

1 - We answer e-mails 5 days a week in the winter; 7 days a week spring and summer

2 - Our stores are open 7 days a week

3 - Anyone who e-mails and asks for a call - We call them at a time that they tell us is OK

4 - We stock all parts for our bikes; AND we generally sell customers parts for repairs at cost

5 - Getting a valid warranty claim thru us is easier than the vast majority of dealers & brands

6 - Parts used on our bikes are the same as with other brands with the exception of a few der hangers and pivots -- of course, we stock those hangers and pivots. Many of those are also available from others.

~~~~~

I do understand that dealers post of these forums and many are not happy with our prices. In fact, several dealers have told me that they are tried of customers coming in their shops with our spec & price printed out and asking for a comparison.

Many have suggested changes that would increase costs to our customers; I am not in favor of moves that increase costs without increasing performance and quality of bikes. Service is important; for 30 years I have been a leader in service; but I do it in the best way for our customers.

~~~~

as a last note: I have seen the new prices that are coming out right now for the 2009 model year [which starts Sept for most brands]. Prices will be up an large amount in the near future due to currency, materials, oil, everything is driving bikes higher. So I will be working harder to keep prices low; as I want people on the best equipment they can afford.
    Adding, 6 or 7 percent by increasing our expenses will not make the bikes ride better.

Thanks for your question

mtbr member
    May 2007

All ya do

OOpps
    Last edited by Lickety Split; 03-12-2008 at 03:39 AM.

Air Pirate
    Huh?

hippymtnbkr
    Nov 2006
    I noticed all over these forums with mail order bikes. There always seem to be a question when returning a bike. It is mostly that the frame had broken, and the company says it is because of a crash and not a manufactures defect. So it turns out to be their word against yours, and you will never win. It is true that Bikes Direct answers emails in a prompt fashion, but they do so to tell you how dumb you are and you lack the skills to make the bike work right. There are also a few users on this forum, who are Bikes Direct. I know because I filed a complaint with the BBB, and replies that were sent back to me from BD,were exact quotes from a couple of the users who said I was an idiot. There's one guy who says he isn't affiliated with BD, but if you look at his contributions from a couple years ago, he mentions that he is an employee There's another guy who has all these photos of his bike on a rail trail. And in all the photo's the bike is clean as a whistle. I ride the creeper trail every now and then, and my bike gets fairly dusty from the crushed limestone. You never see any pictures of the guy on his bike either. There are some good mail order sites though. When I had all my trouble with the Moto. I bought a SS conversion kit from Misfit Cycles. The tech support was fantastic. Within a week, I was Single Speeding down the trails, and have been at least 4 times a week for over a month. So Mike , you know what you can do with your comment. John over at Continental bikes in Hazel Park wants to know how you are able to boast about your track bikes being the biggest sellers in the US. He told me there is no numbers available to back your claim. I thought all you dealers stuck together and shared this kind of info. I'm sure you will get together with him soon and dis cuss. Oh well, I guess I learned my lesson though. But hey,those Ti bikes of yours look a lot like the Airborne bikes from a few years back. Did you get a good deal on their old stock. Now there was a good mail order company. You got to choose your own components, and still get a great price

Mar 2008
    I bought a Fantom Trail two weeks ago. When it arrived, one week ago, the Dart 3 fork was leaking oil. I emailed BD. Karla replied promptly asking me to ship them the fork and they would exchange it and pay for my shipping. That was pretty darned easy. They just received it late Thursday and Friday was Good Friday so I'm not surprised that I haven't heard about the new one shipping yet. I'll let y'all know how it turns out, so far I'm impressed with their customer service.

hippymtnbkr
    Nov 2006
    wow,what happened to Ashly...........

Mar 2008
    Well two weeks have gone by since BD received my fork. Last week I asked the status and Karla told me the fork should have already shipped and she would check with Cliff. This week no fork yet and I emailed asking if it had shipped, and tracking number if it had. Karla replies that UPS has been losing stuff lately, it looks like Cliff shipped it, (guess he wasn't there, no tracking number)if I don't receive it by tomorrow they'll send another one. Stuff happens, I'm not down on BD, but a little less impressed. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I will give a positive note just to contrast. I wanted the Fly Team before it was available, I bought it from the Jax store and they shipped it they also honored the online price. The accessory box fell out of the bike box in the UPS shipping. I spoke with the shop, after a couple days I got some accessories to use while they got me the originally spec'd items. They got the itms, stem, pedals etc. and shipped them to me and then I shipped their loaner stuff back. That easy.

The Vuelta rims howver, had a material defect and they took a bit longer to get swapped out. I was working with the shop directly, it may have been smoother or not dealing with BD online...don't know.

I will say that I have had bigger problems with certain local shops and were it not for other shops in the area, I would have gone nuts.

When is BD opening a shop here??? MIA!!!

Serge

S*it Happens!
    I've owned my fantom for over a year now. I ridden in the ice and snow all winter long. I pushed it hard every time and I’ve posted photos in this forum too back it up. I never needed any customer service since day one because I‘ve never had a problem with my bike.

Can’t ask for anymore then that...

Just my 2 cents
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Mar 2008
    Ok, today I got the replacement fork. I had forgotten to ask about whether I needed to keep the star nut and crown race when I sent the defective fork back, no need to worry the replacement fork had the star nut and crown race installed and steerer was cut to length. Took all of 5 minutes install the new fork, wheel and brake caliper. Life is good, I LOVE this bike. Things could have been better, it would have been great if the first fork didn't leak. I can't blame that on BD though, they didn't make the fork. Apparently the first replacement fork was lost in transit, so more of a delay due to that. In fairness though, if I had ordered a bike through a LBS and it came with a bad fork, would they have had a replacement on hand? BD did not argue about anything, when I told them about the problem they said send it back and they'd replace it. Some shops I've dealt with would not be so easy, and who knows how long a replacement would take. Dealing with a GOOD LBS might have been easier, possibly quicker, but would have certainly been more expensive, or in my case I would have gotten less bike for my money. Stuff happens, but BD made things right. Oh and did I mention, I LOVE this bike.

Apr 2008
    this is not even in regard to bikesdirect or motobecane, but what does the fact that there are people who ride their bikes really hard and have no problems have to do with the fact that something can happen that is a warranty issue. when someone is concerned about the warranty process (regardless of it being retailer or manufacturer), commenting that youve ridden your bike hard and have had no problem so "dont worry about the warranty" is irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wanga2008,
    I think it's a testament to the fact that it is a well built bike and warranty issues are few and far between. Other than that, it's sharing stories... If I ever did make comments like that regarding how I have ridden it, it would have been simply to demonstrate to others who may be skeptical about MB that you may never need the warranty at all.

By the way I just had a failure after 16 months, the avid juicy carbon, hydraulic coupling is leaking. I will see what Shimano can do, but I consider it wear and tear.

Moto Rider, thanks for sharing...

Apr 2008

Upset lifetime warranty from bikesdirect, really??

hello mike, maybe you or one of your techs will finally answer my emails in this forum. two years ago i spent $795 for a motobecane fly-pro. i hardly rode it, putting on maybe a few hundred miles on the streets of manhattan, never taking it out on a trail. two weeks ago, the frame breaks in half as i am riding along a well paved street. i email your company with pictures and the receipt 3 times. it isn't until i start emailing your "sales" department that someone even responds. lindsay in your "sales" department emails me that a technician will be contacting me, but nobody ever does. lifetime warranty, huh? bad business.......
    from what i have read and heard, i am not alone. anyone else out there had this experience with bikesdirect?

Apr 2008

Upset lifetime warranty from bikesdirect, really??

hello mike, maybe you or one of your techs will finally answer my emails in this forum. two years ago i spent $795 for a motobecane fly-pro. i hardly rode it, putting on maybe a few hundred miles on the streets of manhattan, never taking it out on a trail. two weeks ago, the frame breaks in half as i am riding along a well paved street. i email your company with pictures and the receipt 3 times. it isn't until i start emailing your "sales" department that someone even responds. lindsay in your "sales" department emails me that a technician will be contacting me, but nobody ever does. lifetime warranty, huh? bad business.......
    from what i have read and heard, i am not alone. anyone else out there had this experience with bikesdirect?

mtbr member
    hey sgt, why dont you post your pics here....i'd love to see those pics....i mean i'm not doubting you, it's just fishy that your first 3 posts are exactly the same...one double, and one copy and paste to another subject, where you say the same thing....anyway, pics would be much appreciated....

Apr 2008
    no sweat, i posted 3 times trying to get some attention from bikesdirect. i just joined as i just found the site this week. i was googling motobecane warranty when i stumbled on this thread. seems that all motobecane links lead you back to bikes direct. attached are three pix of the frame. please let me know if you need any other info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    yeah we kinda need to see pics of the whole bike....ya know....anyway, that would help a lot....thanks again, and good luck...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sgt, man that sucks about your bike. That looks pretty bad. I have no comment about whether that should be covered under warranty or not, but regardless they should be contacting you if you have sent them e-mails. A warranty really isn't much good if you can't actually get anyone to talk to you.

I hope they do the right thing and get back to you. There is just no way that I can defend bikesdirect for that.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Apr 2008

Upset more pix of the broken fly-pro

thanx for the interest guys. per snobrdr's request, here are pix of the entire bike. i hope somebody from bikesdirect gets around to answering my emails.....
    the wierdest thing about this is the fact that this is a MOUNTAIN BIKE. i never jumped curbs or even took it on a trail, pretty much just rode it up and down the bike path that runs from the battery all the way up to the george washington bridge on the west side of manhattan. it's all paved asphalt. one day, POP! and i'm walking it home. this is what $795 buys you from bikesdirect........i guess you get what u pay for.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Have you tried sending a pm (private message) to Mike's mtbr account? If you click on his name in this thread you will get that option.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Apr 2008
    thanx mr.smith, will do. cheers

Apr 2008
    hello everyone and thank you for your replies and advice. shortly after my last post, mike from bikesdirect did finally reach out to me after i IM'd him. however, for what it was going to cost to pack and ship the entire bike back, i just bought another frame. in addition, mike inspired zero confidence that the situation was going to be resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner. no agenda here, just hoping to save someone else from having to endure a sequel to my own hassle. for any of you that have dealt with this guy, you already know what i am talking about. i have posted the entire saga here:

http://huntergatherernyc.com/2008/05...rectcom-avoid/

all the best, sgt7625

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    sgt,

I am sorry to hear about your dealings with bikesdirect. I can say that it is standard practice for a dealer to inspect a complete bike to determine if it is a defect or not prior to replacing anything under warranty. In this case bikesdirect does not have dealers in your area, so it is normal that they would expect you to ship it to them.

So while bikesdirect may have been in the right, it seems to me like they are creating a lot of ill will with their customers which is not a good thing. Perhaps their bikes are selling so well that they don't need return customers or word of mouth referals. The more of these stories I read the more I cross my fingers that I never have problems, because it seems like the warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on once you factor in all the hassle, the waiting and the shipping charges.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    The more of these stories I read the more I cross my fingers that I never have problems, because it seems like the warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on once you factor in all the hassle.....
    annnnnd that's why i switched to santa cruz sorry mike, it was fun while it lasted....and it did last...for me atleast....

Members who have read this thread: 0