Motobecane upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

New question here. Motobecane upgrade

I bought my wife the Motobecane Fantom DS Trail and I want to upgrade the drivetrain parts on her bike. The bottom bracket she has now is a FSA BB-7420ST-122.5 and crankset is a Shimano FC-M391-L, 175mm, 44/32/22. I want to upgrade to a Shimano SLX or XT crankset. Will I need a different bottom bracket and if so, what specs do I need to look for to fit an SLX or XT crankset? The drivetrain set up is currently a 3X9 speed. I would like to convert it to an 11 speed using Shimano SLX or Shimano XT components.

mtbr member
    If it's a Shimano Hollowtech, you can just swap out the crankset. The spindle size should be the same.

Why do you want to change stuff out? Is it not working? You would have to get a new shifter, new cassette, new chain and a new crankset (or just a ring). Is it really worth it?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    your current crank is an octalink i believe, and so you would need a new bottom bracket (usually comes with the crank) you will need either the tool to remove the cartridge or take it to an lbs for them to remove it and install the shimano hollowtech bracket(they come with spacers for 68 or 73 i think yours is 73 don't quote me though). i installed xt 2x10 on my giant hardtail, and love it (needed more range that 1x had). going 1 x you will have to find out what athletic ability of the rider and trail type you will encounter. you either will run out of steam on the top end or not have enough gear for a gnarly climb. maybe a 30t ring with the newer 11-46 cassette? isnt too hard to swap over and youtube has tons of vids. good luck