Motobecane Ti 29er- Mtbr.com

Motobecane Ti 29er

Anyone killed one? The frame specifically. Might be my next bikepacking ride.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've had mine for 1-1/2 years. Taken a few hard crashes and not any issues. Holding up well. I've got the Fly Team Ti with tapered headtube. Looks like they are coming out with one that uses Boost hub spacing now.

Quote Originally Posted by jstandfest View Post
    I've had mine for 1-1/2 years. Taken a few hard crashes and not any issues. Holding up well. I've got the Fly Team Ti with tapered headtube. Looks like they are coming out with one that uses Boost hub spacing now.

Thanks for the reply.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have two ti framed 29er bike direct bikes.
    One has over 20.000 miles on it. TD, AZT 300 AZT 750, stagecoach and tons of training and fun miles.
    Great bike.
    BUT if I were to buy a ti bike from them I would buy their new 27.5 plus bike. You can run 27.5 3 inch tires or swap out wheels to 29er.
    This bike also has rear rack braze ons which might come in handy some day.
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    I have two ti framed 29er bike direct bikes.
    One has over 20.000 miles on it. TD, AZT 300 AZT 750, stagecoach and tons of training and fun miles.
    Great bike.
    BUT if I were to buy a ti bike from them I would buy their new 27.5 plus bike. You can run 27.5 3 inch tires or swap out wheels to 29er.
    This bike also has rear rack braze ons which might come in handy some day.

That's solid info thanks. Will have a look at the 27.5's.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thought the newest 27+ and 29er have the same frame?
    Have the 2015 m9000 build and frame is solid if not overbuilt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It appears that they are not the same frame unless you get their eagle 29er bike with boost spacing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The 27.5 plus bike comes with 29 mm wide rims where the high end eagle 29er bike comes with 19 mm wide rims.
    This is part of bikes direct approach is to use some cheaper components on their bikes to help hold the price down.
    Just on rim width alone I would go with the 27.5 plus bike. Then if you want a 29er wheelset build up a lighter wider one.
    I am not a shill for bikes direct BUT their ti bikes are a great frame and good value.
    Bikes direct is not a manufacturer but the people who build their ti frames do a great job. (ORA I believe?). Here is their link to the plus frame: 17-MB-301 - ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    The 27.5 plus bike comes with 29 mm wide rims where the high end eagle 29er bike comes with 19 mm wide rims.
    This is part of bikes direct approach is to use some cheaper components on their bikes to help hold the price down.
    Just on rim width alone I would go with the 27.5 plus bike. Then if you want a 29er wheelset build up a lighter wider one.
    I am not a shill for bikes direct BUT their ti bikes are a great frame and good value.
    Bikes direct is not a manufacturer but the people who build their ti frames do a great job. (ORA I believe?). Here is their link to the plus frame: 17-MB-301 - ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

I'm really looking for a frame only option, It's too bad that the boost frame isn't offered as one yet. I'm not worried about the warranty, it's solid. I was really just seeing if anyone had legitimately killed one. The warranty doesn't mean squat if you're packing a broken one off of Oracle Ridge or back to the Picket Post trail head. Thanks for all of the detailed info.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    I'm really looking for a frame only option, It's too bad that the boost frame isn't offered as one yet. I'm not worried about the warranty, it's solid. I was really just seeing if anyone had legitimately killed one. The warranty doesn't mean squat if you're packing a broken one off of Oracle Ridge or back to the Picket Post trail head. Thanks for all of the detailed info.
    See if you can contact ORA and see if they will sell you one or buy the whole bike from bikes direct then sell off the parts you don't need. Other option is to look at carver ti bikes. Here is their ti 29 plus bike Titanium Gnarvester - Carver Bikes about $1400 for frame only which ain't too bad for ti.

The perfessor
    I bought a Ti Fly 29er frame new on eBay about 5 years ago and it's still tearing up the trails.....ran it as a geared hardtail first, then converted to a single-speed (love it) and continue to ride it.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    They've now got the 27.5/29er BOOST in a frame and fork only option. $1,599 and it includes a SID fork as well, not the Reba.

That is a great deal and very adaptable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got the Ti 29er and a Ti roadbike by BD - no problems at all. None expected, though - the same companies are building frames for all the Ti brands - hard to go wrong!