Motobecane SS Outcast 29 Any Good ???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Motobecane SS Outcast 29 Any Good ???

I am looking for my first Mountain Bike. I have a tight budget and am looking for a Single Speed. I was not thinking about a 29er other than the GF Rig which is Much more. I saw the Motobecane on ebay and bikes direct for $350.......Is this bike any good ??? Is it better than the wal-mart specials ??? I find it hard to believe a good bike can be had for this amount ! I see other links on this bike, but would like to know if anyone else has any opinions on it ? Is this a good bike to start out on ? I have only had huffy bikes in the past, I am thinking this is at least as good as them if not better..........Let me know guys what you think .............

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just got my Motobecane Outcast 29er (size 15") today after many sleepless nights contemplating why I could not get the SS 29er bikes out of my head. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I ordered it from bikesdirect (I know I know but I got great service and the bike came as expected) and put it together today. I must say that for the money it is a very sweet ride. I switched out the stem and handlebars as the stock ones were junk.
    I took it to Open Road (Trek dealer) here in Missoula to get a stem spacer and the owner was pretty shocked at the bike and when I told him what I paid for it he could not believe it. He kept picking it up saying, "no way, no way, this is unreal...just a great bike" Anyway, the good news is that the guys were cool for me buying online as they know I will be in for service, parts and that type of stuff. I've already got two Treks under my belt from them in the past and they are a great guys and a solid bike shop.
    It came with a damn 42t chainring up front and an 18t in the back. They also sent a 33t that I am going to install before my first "ride". So to answer your question and IMHO this bike is comparable to the Redline Monocog or GT Peace 9 however the Outcast does have the aluminum frame (which is not a deal breaker for me) and a few no-name parts that should be changed out before any serious trail use such as the stem, handlebars and seat post. I actually like the saddle it came with and the pedals will do fine for now.
    As far as sizing goes, I'm 5' 7" on a good day and built like a fire hydrant. The 15" fits perfect and replacing the stock stem with a TruVativ XR at 110mm gives me some extra reach out front.
    I like the bike, it's lightweight and it pretty damn solid. Oh yeah, the other nice feature is that it was $350. I'm digging that also.
    Gotta go...I think I'll ride my bike now!
    Cheers!

Last edited by MissoulaGriz; 05-07-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0