Motobecane on the Soquel Demo Forest "flow" trail, Is that even a good idea?!? *VID- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Motobecane on the Soquel Demo Forest "flow" trail, Is that even a good idea?!? *VID

Hey Guys! I finally got a chance to take my Motobecane out to the Demo Forest Flow trail in the Santa Cruz Mountains. If you want to see how it held up, you can check out the video I'm posting here. Thanks for checking it out! Happy trails...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE11TqDHDEU

mtbr member
    Nice! I've gotta get my vids up too. Just too damn lazy. I haven't hit this trail yet. Seems fun. Any switchbacks or other technicals? I saw one berm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Nice video!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrFreelancer View Post
    Nice! I've gotta get my vids up too. Just too damn lazy. I haven't hit this trail yet. Seems fun. Any switchbacks or other technicals? I saw one berm.
    It's awesome! It's one of the most famous trails in California. It has a ton of berms, jumps and switchbacks. You gotta ride the trail to understand how awesome it really is!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrmbrnr View Post
    Nice video!
    Thanks! The trail was awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good luck with your channel. I threw you a like and a subscribe.

mtbr member
    Thank you for watching!

mtbr member
    Thank you, I really appreciate that! Hope you enjoy my future videos!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    In your video you mentioned your history with mtb, your break and your new found enthusiasm and the YouTube channel. Your current state of being in mtb is very diferent from mine but with some parallels. It's a differences and parallels we have with mtb experience that makes me want to ask your opinion on my choices for my next bike purchase.

Short back story. I've owned cheap ass mb's since I was a teenager in the early 90s. I think I had a 4 over the years. Rode motocross for 20 years been out for 6 or 7. Bought a real mtb in 09, GT marathon. Only rode it casually and infrequently with my daughters who were 4 and the 5 at that time. We stopped riding abruptly after about 10 flats in 2 days a couple years back. I have back and neck injuries and was suffering a lot at that time. Thankfully I finally figured out how to manage that.

FFWD to 4 months ago. I decided it was time to start riding the bikes with he kids again to get back in shape and Because it brings me immeasurable joy. First ride was 3 hours and caught us a mile from home after dark. The kids had outgrown their 16ers. I picked them up a set of 24 inch hard tails on he cheap. They eat and grow like horses so expensive bikes don't make sense. Well that blew up in my face because my youngest (11yo), after 1 8 mile ride decided to try and ride her mom's small frame women's diamondback roadbike I got her about it 5 years ago to commute on. She rode he hell out of it and did 15 miles the next day and now both of them want to race cross country on on jr high team next season.

Enter the delima. My marathon is done. Bottom pivots warn and it's eroded the frame. No parts as it's old independent drivetrain. After weeks of touring bike shops and forums I was decided on a Trance 2 for me and 2 stances for the girls. so the can race. Pending recuperation of the bucket loads of money we have payed out in medical expenses due to a dumb bitch texting and driving and t boning people at intersections aka my wife's destroyed spine and back surgery. Thankfully it was no contest and is almost finalized. I had to buy a stance to ride for the interim because the side to side play on the pivot is gotten really bad and you can see the increase in play after just 30 minutes of the road riding.

I no longer want a trance. In the coming weeks I am ordering a motobecane HAL I just don't know for sure which one is best for me. 42 years old. Way out of shape by my standards but I was a navy rescue swimmer, you know, airborne Bay watch. Lifetime swimmer and hiker so I got strong legs and I know with regular riding my stamina will get back and I should be able to climb like a goat. I want to be able to ride all day. Climb hills, hit single track and fire roads, and just basically go anywhere and have a lot of fun doing it. Not have to be afraid of taking some jumps and drops here or there. Able to climb a few thousand feet at a time and do a full day's ride and maybe push a hundred miles if I feel like it.

My first consideration is the current HAL6 with this year's Pike and Monarch plus with 160mm travel front and back but no boost. I am mentally attached to the idea that I need the low 20s by as high a 40s low gear I can get because I detest the thought of pushing the bike up a hill or just turning around because it's to steep. Now I have only taken on two Hill challenges so far. First was maybe a mile of 5 to 10 percent on the GT and it sucked. A couple weeks and lots of conditioning later I did 900 feet of gain in 3 miles and 30 minutes on the giant stance. I took several 30 second breathers on the switchbacks but I think that's a respectable pace and maybe it means I can let go of the front derailleur and embrace the EAGLE 12 SPEED! On the new HAL boost team12 with only 140mm of travel but with he new pike and with BOOST! And PLUS TIRES! I am also considering the Hal boost comp that has a 2x drivetrain instead of the Eagle 12.

So, to the point, finaly. What are your thoughts on this trade offs?
    2018 pike with 140mm vs current gen pike at 160mm and the Monarch plus
    6 inches of travel on a 27.5 vs the 5 inches of travel on the new pike with 27.5 plus tires
    the Eagle 12 speed vs wide range (top and bottom by about 10 to 15 percent) 2x drivetrain

I am uncertain I will appreciate the difference in travel and I hear the new pike is the bees bees. Is my mental attachment to multiple changings an irrational safety blanket with imaginary benifits? In theory I think I want plus tires. I mean I had 26x2.1 on the GT and when I thew some 2.3 rubber on there it was like getting a new bike. Then riding the stance in 27.5x2.25 was yet another whole new level. I have riden dirt bikes for years and driven off road vehicles of every type in all manner of terrain and weather all my life so I can understand all of the factors about tire width and height very well. 27.5x2.8 tires sound perfect to me. But are they worth the inch of travel and the wider gear range and does either even mater? I like both bikes. They essentially the same bike with a few key differences and a thousand dollar gap that I'm willing to ignore under the circumstances.

I'm sorry for the long post. I tried not to ramble to much but I really want to frame it in the right context. I appreciate your oppinion (and everyone else's, but not the motobecane haters, I really don't care what eye have to say )

2017 HAL6 PRO 6" travel old pike 22 speed Save Up to 60% Off 27.5 Six Inch Travel All Mountain Shimano DynaSys, Motobecane HAL6 PRO Edition 27.5 / 650B Full Suspension Mountain Bikes Shimano Deore XT M8000 2x11 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox Pike 160mm Forks | Shimano DynaSy

2018 HAL boost comp new pike 20 speed Save Up to 60% Off LTD QTYS of these 6 Inch / 140mm Travel Full Suspension 27.5Plus / Boost Mountain bikes 2018 Motobecane HAL Boost COMP XT 27.5PLUS Full Suspension Mountain Bikes Shimano SLX/XT 2x11 Speed SRAM Guide R Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox

2018 HAL boost team new pike Eagle 12 speed Save Up to 60% Off LTD QTYS of these 6 Inch / 140mm Travel Full Suspension 27.5Plus / Boost Mountain bikes 2018 Motobecane HAL Boost TEAM SRAM Eagle 27.5PLUS Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM EAGLE 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rocksh

Quote Originally Posted by Tunesoul View Post
    Hey Guys! I finally got a chance to take my Motobecane out to the Demo Forest Flow trail in the Santa Cruz Mountains. If you want to see how it held up, you can check out the video I'm posting here. Thanks for checking it out! Happy trails...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE11TqDHDEU

mtbr member
    I think you know what the answer is, your enthusiasm says it all... The "HAL boost team12 with 140mm of travel but with the new pike and with BOOST! And PLUS TIRES!" I really don't think you'd notice the shorter travel in real life out on the trails. Judging by the info you provided I also believe it would behoove you to go with the 2X system, you'll struggle a lot less with those extra gear options. Thanks for the detailed post and for your questions. I hope this helps! Keep us posted on what your final decision is! ~OCDMB~

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yeah, it's a lot of help. However I'm one of those people who's beyond help. I'm really mesmerized by that screaming eagle man! I am at helicopter mechanic and jet engine mechanic. I spent the 14 years after high school working on Seahawks and rebuilding jet engines for the navy.

The technology is just something that resonates in my bones. And I'm a little caught up in the whole simplicity thing. I need 3 volunteers to draw straws hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunesoul View Post
    I think you know what the answer is, your enthusiasm says it all... The "HAL boost team12 with 140mm of travel but with the new pike and with BOOST! And PLUS TIRES!" I really don't think you'd notice the shorter travel in real life out on the trails. Judging by the info you provided I also believe it would behoove you to go with the 2X system, you'll struggle a lot less with those extra gear options. Thanks for the detailed post and for your questions. I hope this helps! Keep us posted on what your final decision is! ~OCDMB~
    Last edited by SoCalEpicRyder; 06-16-2017 at 06:29 PM.