Motobecane high end bikes in race events- Mtbr.com

Jul 2009

Motobecane high end bikes in race events

I am seriously considering the purchase of a Motobecane Fly 9357... seems with the right modifications I can get it down to a quite decent weight.

1. Is anyone using this bike (or other Motobecanes) in competition? I'm currently not at a competition level but looking to buy a level that I can take with me when I get there.
    2. What (less than $500-$700) mods would be recommended to improve the handling and climb performance/capabilities

And to all of the BD haters (yes I have a low post count) no I am not Mike or an employee of BD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've used the Fly Team Ti on Road and Xterra Triathlons. I'll be using it on a mtb race in late August. Superlight and superfast. I've change to full xtr (personal preference) and a stan's wheelset, still just under 20lbs. I say buy with confidence (if in stock, of course).

Don't worry about haters, so saved a ton of cash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersean
    2. What (less than $500-$700) mods would be recommended to improve the handling and climb performance/capabilities
    For that extra $$ get a titanium frame instead. Much more robust in the long run I would think, and I think it does ride better.

You can shave quite a bit of weight with little cheap things like bolt-on skewers, replacing spoke tape on vuelta wheels.

Biggest performance improvement would be to set up lower pressure, wider tires. Sealant based tubeless preferably. I run Racing Ralphs 2.1/2.25 on my Fly Ti, stock Kenda is a bit not suitable around here. I have sold FSA crankset right away and got XTR for slightly cheaper. I also replaced seatpost, headset, housing, bunch of bolts etc. but that is mostly for fun.

I am not a racer, but so far I did take my Fly Ti on a few events on a beginner level, and will use it for longer endurance and adventure racing events. I have seen two other Fly Ti on those races.

As you are in San Francisco as your profile says you can take mine for a spin, say at Skeggs or Russian Ridge or Arastradero (easiest to reach from 280) if you want. I often go there around 7pm after work, can take my second bike as well. It is size 18". Bring your own pedals.

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    For that extra $$ get a titanium frame instead. Much more robust in the long run I would think, and I think it does ride better.

You can shave quite a bit of weight with little cheap things like bolt-on skewers, replacing spoke tape on vuelta wheels.

Biggest performance improvement would be to set up lower pressure, wider tires. Sealant based tubeless preferably. I run Racing Ralphs 2.1/2.25 on my Fly Ti, stock Kenda is a bit not suitable around here. I have sold FSA crankset right away and got XTR for slightly cheaper. I also replaced seatpost, headset, housing, bunch of bolts etc. but that is mostly for fun.

I am not a racer, but so far I did take my Fly Ti on a few events on a beginner level, and will use it for longer endurance and adventure racing events. I have seen two other Fly Ti on those races.

As you are in San Francisco as your profile says you can take mine for a spin, say at Skeggs or Russian Ridge or Arastradero (easiest to reach from 280) if you want. I often go there around 7pm after work, can take my second bike as well. It is size 18". Bring your own pedals.
    Thanks so much for the input and it would be great to take a ride on your bike I am on a business trip but will give you a holler when I return!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I second curmy's post about if you are going to spend an extra 700 bucks on upgrades, put it into the titanium frame. It really is worth it in the long term. With the Fly Ti comes pretty much some of the best upgrades you can buy that will help you save weight and consequently increase your performance. You can also bank on changing the stock tires. They are tiny so I would change them out for more of an all around tire.

HTFU!
    I bought the Fantom Team in April of 08 as my first real trail bike (former recreational runner and roadie). In May of 08 I tore my calf, and then retore the healing calf just over a month later (worse). Finally began riding seriously in August after going from 183lbs to 194lbs. Now I am at 163lbs and recently won the first race I ever entered (Triangle XC Race Series in NC). Sure, I am racing in the beginner >35 class (I am 39, turning 40 in a few months), but I still beat the other 14 guys in my class, and all but two of the beginner <35. I came in 2nd on the following race and have another this weekend (weather permitting). Sure, I have been working hard, but I am definitely faster on this bike (weighing about 26.5lbs) with it's solid components, than I would be on a 32-34lb bike with lesser components.
    Sorry for the self-aggrandizing post, but hey, you asked.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Raced the fly for one-quarter of a 24 hour race a few weeks ago. Efficiency is the name of the game in this endurance race, needing explosive acceleration to get up steep, short climbs. This one was smooth hardpack with some asphalt, so it was pretty ideal for the bike. I would have been more comfortable on my FS, but not as fast.

If your goal all out speed and the course isn't too rough, there's nothing wrong with these bikes.

G.

mtbr member
    boiling it down to basics... the components are the same across the board so they perform the same on MB just like a Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc speced the same.

the frames seem to be well made and come out of the same factories as the other "major" brands.

My experience over the last 1.5 years of owning one - I won't pay more for a big brand with its big price tag.

I have raced mine at many events... i'm not a top contender nor claim any above average skills. But my bike is holding up great (Fantom Team FS).

I have finished the ORAMM, PMBAR, Cohutta 65 and some local stuff with no issue.

i trust the brand.

Members who have read this thread: 0