Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus

Just ordered my new bike! Bummed I have to wait a month but still excited!

A quick question:

Does it have internal seat dropper route?

Thanks

Dale

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yeah, it has the internal routing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowbiker21 View Post
    Yeah, it has the internal routing.
    Do you have or have you seen one in person? Or did you get confirmation on there being specific routing for the dropper internally? You can't tell for sure from the pics. There are 2 channels up top on the down tube. I can only imagine one for a front derailleur and one for the dropper but who knows. I thought someone posted in the long hal thread that the dropper routing is only external but it's hard to sort through. I do hope so though as I'm hoping to order one before they're gone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Congratulations! I'm hoping to unlock the funds before this batch sells out. Hopefully I will be getting mine th same time as you. Can't wait to see the pics start flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by dalehanover View Post

A quick question:

Does it have inte, rnal seat dropper route?

Thanks

Dale

mtbr member
    Thanks slowbiker21.

I also received confirmation for BikesDirect that it does have an internal route for the dropper post. YAAAAAAA!

SocalEpicRyder- there is no front derailer. However what concerned me was the remote lockout for the suspension.

I will wait on ordering a dropper post (probably the reverb stealth) just to be sure.

The other upgrade I will do right away is going tubeless! otherwise, I'll ride for a few months to see if I want something changed in the cockpit.

I am beyond excited!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Last years model was external routing only, all the new Hal models seem to have internal routing listed. I want to wait to see some pictures and video before I decide to order. The spec sheet is legit, but I'm not sure on frame size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I. know there's no front derailleur. but there is obvious mount points for the hardware on t seat tube in the picture on the website. The frame is not 1x specific as there are 2x models for sale. I was noting that there are 2 obvious channels at the top right for cables to go in and was deducing that the only 2 things likely to occupy those specific channels would ne dropper post cable and in the event of a front derailleur, the cable for that since the reqr derailleur and rear brake are routed on the other side of the frame.

I'm stoked for you though. I bet you can't wait to see it in person and throw a leg over.

p.s. Did you get 11speed or 12 speed?

Thanks slowbiker21.

I also received confirmation for BikesDirect that it does have an internal route for the dropper post. YAAAAAAA!

SocalEpicRyder- there is no front derailer. However what concerned me was the remote lockout for the suspension.

I will wait on ordering a dropper post (probably the reverb stealth) just to be sure.

The other upgrade I will do right away is going tubeless! otherwise, I'll ride for a few months to see if I want something changed in the cockpit.

I am beyond excited!

mtbr member
    SoCalEpicRyder
    That makes sense. Maybe the other cable route is if you get the 2x? The guy form bikes direct said all the boost models are set up for stealth routing. Assuming that means the non boost are not.

I got the 1x and the 12 speed! :-)

I really wanted the 27.5 plus and when I started looking a couple months ago thought I was gonna have to go with a Trek, Specialized or something but didn't want to shell out 4-5k. I have had a phantom 26 for the past 6 years and its been good but I wanted to get a 29 or 27.5. I figured the 27.5 plus was the happy medium (especially with me being 5ft6).

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yea, I'm stoked to be going plus. A month ago I was riding a 26er. Now I'm old school hahahahaha. Pivot is done for though and I had to squeeze together some money to buy my kids giant stance 2 early and ride it for awhile. Going from 26x2.1 to 27.5x2.3 is already a drastic improvement. My daughter rides the crap out of it to. It is hers after all.

Anyway, I was planning to by the trance 2 fpr myself by end of summer. We have tons of money tied up in, medical expenses coming back to us but we're only eating steak twice a week till then so you know things are tight. Almost don'e though. We signed the release for insurance today but have to wait for checks to get cut and distributed to some other parties before we can cash out and recuperate.

I have my fingers crossed that I'm gonna have money soon enough to pick up the same one you got but these things take time and I'm not holding my breath. Rep at ND said 6 months for the next run and makes me . There's still some really good deals though for 17 models and the hal6 pro is speced really nice by my standards. But that internal routing thoug........

I was unsure if the term stealth routing was exclusive to droppers or just indicative that there's internal cable routing options that may or may not include the dropper cable. I. searched for "what is stealth routing" and all results reference dropper post cable routing. Take that for what it's worth. I don't put much stock in sales reps having a clue as to how what their talking about. Not saying the guys from BD are clueless. Just saying mast people are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

A quick question:

Does it have internal seat dropper route?

Thanks

Dale
    Why do you have to wait a month? It says if I buy it now it will ship between June 26th- July 17th. If it takes until the end of july to get it I may just by the 2017 x01 hal6 instead. When did they estimate you would get it?

mtbr member
    They haven't given more specifics for the shipping date. Just the range. If it's July 16th it will be over a month since I ordered. If it's June 26th then only a 3 week wait. Crossing my fingers.
    Dale

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    They haven't given more specifics for the shipping date. Just the range. If it's July 16th it will be over a month since I ordered. If it's June 26th then only a 3 week wait. Crossing my fingers.
    Hmmm kinda sucks but im hoping it will will be worth the wait. What do you think about the team 11 2017? Is the x01 and 20mm extra travel worth it or does the boost more than make up for it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The team 11 looks sweet also!

For me I wanted the 27.5 plus size that could also run a 29 and having the XO1 and the new pike fork was a bonus.

I do not have boost on my current 26 bike and never felt the need (I run 2.20 both front and rear). When I have ridden my friends 29er or 27.5+ I can definitely feel the need for the boost. I'm not a pro (average at best) rider so talk my two cents with a grain of salt and get the bike YOU feel most comfortable with.
    Dale

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The team 11 looks sweet also!

For me I wanted the 27.5 plus size that could also run a 29 and having the XO1 and the new pike fork was a bonus.

I do not have boost on my current 26 bike and never felt the need (I run 2.20 both front and rear). When I have ridden my friends 29er or 27.5+ I can definitely feel the need for the boost. I'm not a pro (average at best) rider so talk my two cents with a grain of salt and get the bike YOU feel most comfortable with.
    Yea thats pretty much how I am feeling. I ride lift sometimes but stick to the jump and flow trails. I guess it will be worth the wait. One last thing what size did you go with? I am thinking the medium. I am 5"9 and have like a 31" inseam. I

mtbr member
    Good news! Got my shipping confirmation.

Yaaaaaaa!
    Dale

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Same here can't wait.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Can't wait to see some reviews on the new boost models. Thought about preordering the 1x12 model in blurple... I got an email today about the 1x11 boost model available in red. Might have to jump on that if the new frame seems to be a good deal.

I feel like I'm outgrowing the 26er 550ht I bought a few years ago (my first mountain bike). The way I see it, I can either spend $2,000 on an OK giant or kona or something, or go all out on a top of the line motobecane. I've been pretty happy with my 550ht...just not sold on it yet.

mtbr member
    The bike arrived yesterday. Took it in to get the tire tubeless and to eun the factory dropper post.
    Got it back today and did a short fun ride. So far so good. Gonna be this weekend before * can hit a 15 to 29 mile ride and really start to open her up.
    I'll post some photos when * take them

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Just a quick note before the weekend, bike arrived all good, the fit and finish is clean and tight, assembled it and was going to go tubeless but I forgot to get tape, so it will have to wait until probably next weekend. Took a quick ride and I'm quite happy with the decision to finally upgrade to a full suspension.

Here is pic for the dropper routing.

Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-520522732.813991public.jpg

(HAL Boost Comp ver)

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey guys, I need some input. I'm about a week away from buying. They still have the boost in stock in my size and I'm holding my breath. But one thing has caught my attention.

The BOOST comes with WTB ST rims which are budget tubeless non I-beam rims. The HAL 6 comes with WTB FREQUENCY RACE. which are the oem version of the team. I'm perplexed about the budget rim when everything else about the bike is speced so nice and the wheels are so important.

Can these rims stand up to moderate abuse. I'm no downhiller but moving into such a nice bike I don't want to be held back by the rims if I get the oportunity and confidence to bomb some hills sometimes. And I love hitting the oprtune jumps and drops. I don't want to destroy my rims on a ride and have to walk my bike out like that.

Am I worried about nothing or is this a legitimate concern? I know the price is pretty good and I can probably just upgrade wheels in a year or two two if it's an issue. It just blows my mind that they downgraded the wheels when the upgraded everything else. It would be nice to see a hal 6 boost 27.5 team 12 with the new pike and 160mm travel and wtb frequency. I think that would be just sick.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    ^Keep in mind this is still a low cost FS trail bike. I don't think Motobecane had huge jumps and downhill racing in mind when they put the package together. They put some really expensive components on here but some things are going to be low end, there is just no way they could stay at this price point if the whole package was top of the line.

I think you'd be fine but I couldn't really say where the breaking point is.

For what it's worth, my 2014 Motobecane 550ht has survived quite well. Nothing ridiculous but I do a lot of jumps and drops when I ride (I also do some crashing here and there). It was in the realm of $400-$500 when I bought it. I don't know how "good" the wheels are but I can't imagine they're any better than these... I remember the headline for my bike boasting the POS 100mm travel fork as a selling point. Take it for what it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yea, I totally get it. And that's why I'm just letting it slide. I may go with a 6 anyway. I like em both. The If I get the boost I'm going all in with the team 12. Otherwise it's the 6 pro. I won't have the money till sometime next week so that's my virtual coin toss. If the boos in small is still available I'll jump down that rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by SubieSteve View Post
    ^Keep in mind this is still a low cost FS trail bike. I don't think Motobecane had huge jumps and downhill racing in mind when they put the package together. They put some really expensive components on here but some things are going to be low end, there is just no way they could stay at this price point if the whole package was top of the line.

I think you'd be fine but I couldn't really say where the breaking point is.

For what it's worth, my 2014 Motobecane 550ht has survived quite well. Nothing ridiculous but I do a lot of jumps and drops when I ride (I also do some crashing here and there). It was in the realm of $400-$500 when I bought it. I don't know how "good" the wheels are but I can't imagine they're any better than these... I remember the headline for my bike boasting the POS 100mm travel fork as a selling point. Take it for what it is.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just ordered the Hal Boost Pro in Matte Black -- small size. I will post pics, a brief review and answer questions once I get it. I ordered this morning and had a tracking number by the afternoon. Arriving on Saturday. So if I get it then, that's only 3 days from ordering to my door in Massachusetts!

This will be my third BD bike. My first two were sacrificial frames that I sold or gave away and moved the components to a new frame. The frames were very nicely made and there was no issue, but one was a hardtail and I moved the components to a full squish Salsa frame. The road bike had odd geometry that didn't work out for me (I'm short) so I switched to a BMC frame. I have 6-7 years on both of those bikes and still ride them regularly. I plan on keeping this frame, however -- as long as it fits!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The bike arrived yesterday. Took it in to get the tire tubeless and to eun the factory dropper post.
    Got it back today and did a short fun ride. So far so good. Gonna be this weekend before * can hit a 15 to 29 mile ride and really start to open her up.
    I'll post some photos when * take them
    Did you get out and ride this week? If so, how was the bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi all, I don't want to hijack the thread, my new HAL5 elite is coming in today. I have searched around online and can't seem to find any torque specs. Any suggestions on pivot bolt or any other important torque specs on this bike?

mtbr member

1 Week Summary

Quick Summary!

I've had the bike for a week now and have logged almost 90 miles. It's been fun!

The bike is awesome! Love the 2.8 tires (still trying to dial in the pressure that I like). The frame is sick.

I did add a Fox dropper post and made the tire tubeless. and some composite pedals.

The seat is very comfortable and the XO Eagle drive train is flawless. I was a bit worried that I would have a hard time adjusting to a 1x, especially on the hills, but so far so good!

The bike handles great and climbs like a champ (wish I could climb as good as the bike). Downhill I haven't really pushed it hard yet so still waiting to see. Overall very nice.

A couple things:
    1) The bike doesn't come with a remote OneLoc for the forks like the description said. I emailed Bikes Direct and they refunded $50 so great customer service there.
    2) The bottom bracket is much lower than I'm used to so I am learning to negotiate tight spots with my pedals horizontal.
    3) I wish the handlebars were wider. They have a 700mm stock on their. So my next upgrade will probably be a wider set of bars.

Overall, I'm stoked and I'm already looking forward to my 2 rides this weekend! Great bike so a sweet price!

Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-n9sscfzjgi5zg_1g-w_srmpie9yviweiwvuzys8_yhypx92ib.jpg
    Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-nlfoacbipdccbn6fcqbuyubqeogedellp_6u2v5uft8px92ib.jpg
    Dale

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nlFOacbiPdccbN6fcQBuyUBQeoGeDEllp_6U2V5ufT8pX92IB.jpg 
Views:	1162 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	1145170
    Wow, the matte decals look so much better than usual. I wonder if I can request some black decals!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Wow, the matte decals look so much better than usual. I wonder if I can request some black decals!
    Agreed, most people wont know it's a motobecane which makes the mike soooo much nicer imo

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
    Hi all, I don't want to hijack the thread, my new HAL5 elite is coming in today. I have searched around online and can't seem to find any torque specs. Any suggestions on pivot bolt or any other important torque specs on this bike?
    Buy a good bikes maintain book. Most torques, in fact all are based on fastener size. So pretty much universal. Any good bike manual will cover that. But any similar style suspension bike will have torques you can safely apply to your bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    delete

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Is it terribly low? I'm on the fence between a HAL6 and HAL BOOST. I will have the money soon so I'm probably going to have to flip a coin.

2) The bottom bracket is much lower than I'm used to so I am learning to negotiate tight spots with my pedals horizontal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikemax View Post
    Agreed, most people wont know it's a motobecane which makes the mike soooo much nicer imo

"Hello

As it turns out, we don't have any consumer level decals.
    They use a special process at the factory and the current decals on the bikes are clear coated.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
    Karla"
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    I don't think it's terribly low. I love the handling and it corners awesome. I am just not used to having a pedal hit so it that tight stuff I'm learning to stay horizontal and back pedal. I needed to work on my track stand and balance anyways. :-)
    Dale

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks. I'm at a similar point of progression. It's good to hear that the bike is a smile maker. Who says money can't buy happiness hahahaha. Can't wait for this check to get cut. One of the local coaches is holding a custom full carbon xc for my kid and I'm dying to get this hal boost 12 speed. We only have one real bike for 3 riders right now and it blows.

I don't think it's terribly low. I love the handling and it corners awesome. I am just not used to having a pedal hit so it that tight stuff I'm learning to stay horizontal and back pedal. I needed to work on my track stand and balance anyways. :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hi all, thought I give my input since I benefited a lot from this forum in making my decision. I'm 42 an this is my first mountain bike, I have been riding road for about 7 years but decided to change it up a little, tired of being buzzed by cars on the road and also wanted a change of pace from the road.

I did a lot of research and decided to go with a 27.5+, initially I was going hardtail as I was a beginner and most people recommended a HT to start. But since I live in Massachusetts and the trails around me are very rocky/rooty I decided to go FS.

My budget was limited so I started looking at BD. I though in the end the HAL BOOST met my requirements, it was a big risk for me since I have never bought a bike other than the local LBS. Also the unknown brand to me (Motobecane) was a consideration, also I'm not great at servicing or bike assembly, especially not a mountain bike.

Ordered the bike Sunday and Thursday morning it was in my driveway so buying process and shipping was flawless. The built was easy until it was time to insert the back wheel, I had a little of a hard time there and when completed the gears were completely out of tune, that was disappointing, the bike was unrideable. There is not instruction or assembly manual at all, it comes with a very simple and not relevant manual to this bike. I took it to my LBS who tuned it up and tightened everything up. I would say that unless you are very experienced with bike maintenance/setup you will need to take it to LBS after initial build.

The bike:
    HAL BOOST PRO size XL Matte Black (I'm 6'4'', inseam 35").

Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-hal1.jpg

My experience so far:

I really like the looks, everything is black on it and the logo is matte and not as visible for those who care about that. The bike feels good, plush (again this is my first mtn bike so can't compare). It fits very good. I took it on it's first real ride 8 miles on beginner/intermediate trail and it felt very good. The bike is HEAVY (have not weighted it yet). The traction with the plus tires is amazing. I did have a lot of pedals strikes but this could be attributed to me being a beginner mtn biker. I'm using flat pedals with 175mm cranks. I'm also very glad I went FS and not HT after riding the trails for the first time.

I have a lot to learn but overall I would say it has met my expectations so far and I'm looking forward to many miles on it.

Let me know if you guys have any questions will be glad to answer anything that I can.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Hal Boost Arrived - Short Review

Guys,

Got my bike yesterday and took it out for it's maiden voyage. First, the bike arrived nicely packed and I had it built up in less than an hour. Everything was dialed in out of the box and I didn't have to do anything other than set the sag on the shocks and go ride. Nice surprise there.

The bike weighs 31.45 lbs as shipped with no pedals, so in the ballpark for other non-carbon, FS trail bikes. Going tubeless and a lighter saddle should get it under 30lbs pretty easily. Adding a dropper will put a pound back on.

The frame itself is beautiful. Welds are perfect, finish is perfect and I would put it up against ANY alloy frame on the market. Not surprising since it comes from the same factory as practically all of them. Note to small frame buyers with short legs. You may be limited to a 350mm/100mm travel dropper if you go that route. The frames bends sharply under the seat post which limits insertion length to 5 3/4". Not uncommon for small frames.

The bike rides beautifully. Way more plush than my 29er Salsa Big Mama build (which is really more of an XC bike), but still plenty easy to pedal hard and fast. It rolls nicely. I was stunned how well set up it was out of the box. It was plug and play. The instructions are useless and have nothing to do with the actual bike, but if you have built a bike before, it is a piece of cake.

The clutched derailleur was a revelation for me. My previous bike is 7 years old and pre-dated that technology. To be able to ride through the woods on rocks and roots with a silent drivetrain and no chain slap is just amazing. I am sure most of you are already there, but wow. The SRAM 1X12 is awesome, but Jesus, that big ring is like a frisbee!! The freewheel is on the noisy side.

Finally, there has been some discussion about the Maxxis Rekon+ actual widths. On these i29 rims, the actual width at 20lbs pressure is 2.6", not 2.8". Fine by me since I was a little worried about the fat tires and compared to the 2.1 on my XC bike, they feel like fatties!

Anyway, happy to answer any questions, but I would rate this one yet another great experience from BikesDirect.

Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-img_2957.jpgMotobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-img_2958.jpgMotobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-img_2959.jpgMotobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-img_2960.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    How is the pedal bob with this bike? I have ridden the Hal 6 XT 11 and like it, But I am looking at purchasing the Hal Boost Pro.

mtbr member
    Can someone please measure the bb height?

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardnerma View Post
    Oh thanks. I missed those little links to the geo. These web pages are super hard to digest.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The bikes direct site is like a 90s high school computer science project. But if the bike is half price I dont care about fancy sites and team riders.

mtbr member
    I believe the kinesis part number for this frame is I8610-2018. According to this site the Med weighs in at 7.5 pounds.

Kinesis industry CO.,.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnerma View Post
    Just ordered the Hal Boost Pro in Matte Black -- small size. I will post pics, a brief review and answer questions once I get it. I ordered this morning and had a tracking number by the afternoon. Arriving on Saturday. So if I get it then, that's only 3 days from ordering to my door in Massachusetts!

This will be my third BD bike. My first two were sacrificial frames that I sold or gave away and moved the components to a new frame. The frames were very nicely made and there was no issue, but one was a hardtail and I moved the components to a full squish Salsa frame. The road bike had odd geometry that didn't work out for me (I'm short) so I switched to a BMC frame. I have 6-7 years on both of those bikes and still ride them regularly. I plan on keeping this frame, however -- as long as it fits!

I ordered the same....need to install a dropper...going with the specialized ircc since it is offset the same. So far so good, but I swapped out the 34T chainring with a 30T and it climbs better, also going longer stem to get my weight forward a bit on climbs/switchbacks. I am right between sizes and almost went medium but the standover was too high. Anyhow here is mine....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-h1.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I went with the new 100mm Crankbrothers Highline post. Don't have it yet. No offset, but I too wanted to be a little further forward. I am NOT between sizes so the best I could do was a 100mm drop given the limited amount of insertion space in the small frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRCELPTX View Post
    I ordered the same....need to install a dropper...going with the specialized ircc since it is offset the same. So far so good, but I swapped out the 34T chainring with a 30T and it climbs better, also going longer stem to get my weight forward a bit on climbs/switchbacks. I am right between sizes and almost went medium but the standover was too high. Anyhow here is mine....
    I think it is interesting that you went with a longer stem since the Hal is on the long side of what most modern bikes have.

What bike were you on before this?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The stem on the Hal Boost for the small frame is only 60mm. My last bike was older, so I am out of touch. Is 60mm really long? Looks like it could barely be smaller and have room for the clamps!

mtbr member
    Actually no that is about normal. I am looking at the large and that is 80mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    got the same bike...i just installed my dropper....this is from a week ago...so far so good, I am going to play with stems to add a cm or two up front for the climbs and went to a 30t chainring...it now can climb like my hardtail...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-h1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I installed an 80mm on my small frame to get more wieght over the bars for climbs...I am right at that middle point, but the standover was too high on the medium.....i may even go 90 or go to 70, ordered stems for $10 off of ebay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    my old hardtail was also a motobecane...It seems some old school guys like the longer stems and even as much as 90mm....I climb alot and needed a tweak of reach and more mass up front ....more XC like with an 80mm stem, I may even try a 90 or a 70 that are $10 on ebay...I wish they had a lower standover or I may have ordered the medium.....ended up with a ks dropper since the specialized was backordered...it works well so far....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey guys, how deep is the seat tube on the small frame. I'd like to know how much dropper I can stuff in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You can insert about 14cm. Maybe 14.5. In effect you have about 4cm of play since min insert is 10cm. I assumed 14 to be conservative and installed a 125mm/420mm ks eteni since it is offset like the stock post and I am at the edge of small/med and need every cm. The max height from the seat tube to seat rail is the key, the 385 droppers may not give enough height. I can go about 270mm to 310mm seat height with this, but run it at 290mm. If you have a shorter inseam a 385 will give about 255mm some I saw were 274mm. Seems the genre is the total length including the mechanism at the bottom. Hope that helps. Btw I love it and it really makes the dh or scary stuff feel better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I noticed the pedal hits are more often than a hard tail. I installed a dropper and love it.

I actually had a rider on a yeti freaking out on the price, since he paid nearly double for less gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by leba75 View Post
    Hi all, thought I give my input since I benefited a lot from this forum in making my decision. I'm 42 an this is my first mountain bike, I have been riding road for about 7 years but decided to change it up a little, tired of being buzzed by cars on the road and also wanted a change of pace from the road.

I did a lot of research and decided to go with a 27.5+, initially I was going hardtail as I was a beginner and most people recommended a HT to start. But since I live in Massachusetts and the trails around me are very rocky/rooty I decided to go FS.

My budget was limited so I started looking at BD. I though in the end the HAL BOOST met my requirements, it was a big risk for me since I have never bought a bike other than the local LBS. Also the unknown brand to me (Motobecane) was a consideration, also I'm not great at servicing or bike assembly, especially not a mountain bike.

Ordered the bike Sunday and Thursday morning it was in my driveway so buying process and shipping was flawless. The built was easy until it was time to insert the back wheel, I had a little of a hard time there and when completed the gears were completely out of tune, that was disappointing, the bike was unrideable. There is not instruction or assembly manual at all, it comes with a very simple and not relevant manual to this bike. I took it to my LBS who tuned it up and tightened everything up. I would say that unless you are very experienced with bike maintenance/setup you will need to take it to LBS after initial build.

The bike:
    HAL BOOST PRO size XL Matte Black (I'm 6'4'', inseam 35").

Name:	hal1.jpg 
Views:	2494 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	1145525

My experience so far:

I really like the looks, everything is black on it and the logo is matte and not as visible for those who care about that. The bike feels good, plush (again this is my first mtn bike so can't compare). It fits very good. I took it on it's first real ride 8 miles on beginner/intermediate trail and it felt very good. The bike is HEAVY (have not weighted it yet). The traction with the plus tires is amazing. I did have a lot of pedals strikes but this could be attributed to me being a beginner mtn biker. I'm using flat pedals with 175mm cranks. I'm also very glad I went FS and not HT after riding the trails for the first time.

I have a lot to learn but overall I would say it has met my expectations so far and I'm looking forward to many miles on it.

Let me know if you guys have any questions will be glad to answer anything that I can.
    Hey I'm 6-4 too (nearly 6-5) and my height has kept me from getting one of these DS bikes as the frames are smaller than my 22.5 inch Moto Ti 29er. Do you have pic of you on the bike...just to show how our long legs look/fit the bike? Also, what's the actual weight? That is the one down side to BD is you can't test the bike first...thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    First week with my new HAL Boost TEAM SRAM Eagle. I love the way this bikes looks and the build seems solid. Set up was a breeze and within a few hours, I was test riding around the neighborhood. I am 5.9 and went with a 43Ē which seems to be a good fit. This is my first full suspension bike so I knew it was going to be heavier then what Iím used to and sure enough that was my first impression. But in all fairness my hard tail race bike is 21 lbs. so thatís probably not a fair comparison. Using my Shimano XT trail pedals it weighed in about 32 lbs. I ordered WTB tubeless valve stems and Stanís tubeless rim tape as I knew that will shave off substantial weight. I replaced the handlebar with a lighter Ritchey WCS (allow version). I changed the seat to a Ritchey WCS Streem which I now use on all my bikes and installed a Thompson Elite dropper post. The dropper is a 27.2 version so I installed a Tmars seatpost shim. Because my dropper is not the stealth version I simply routed the cable external under the top tube. Not sure if there is another way but its working well and easy to take off. I received my valves and tape and proceeded to convert to tubeless. As I took out the monstrous and heavy tubes I noticed that the wheels had a pretty good sealed yellow tape. I was not sure if this tape was designed for tubeless setup but decided to give it a go. Just installed the valves put in some stans and pop. Nice seal. Note on one the tire bead was not even all the way around. I deflated and made sure to pull in the bead as close the rim as possible and inflate again. I noticed one tire was losing air the next morning but simply added air and rotated getting the fluid all around and so far no leaking for at least the last few days. My setup at this point is 30.4 lbs.

I donít have that many rides in yet but I love the bike so far. The gearing is superb and Iím very used to 1xís now. My XTR 11-40 1x hardtail requires me to change front chainrings from 32 to 34 depending on the race course but on this eagle drivetrain I donít think I need to change a thing. The 50t is crazy low. The feel of the bike is good and Iím sure will get better once I get used to it. The 27.5 wheels feel like they turn well but I worry about rolling over obstacles. I tried some tech descents with lots of large rocks and very routed trail and no issues managing control but I donít feel confident yet. The Pike fork works great but does not lock out. At first I thought something may be wrong but I looked it up and I guess that is normal. The Monarch is quite firm on closed position but this is not the bike to be pedaling off the saddle. I climbed up a mountain that I have done lots of times with both my cross and hardtail. Itís a dirt road and very steep. My best time is 1:04 and I clocked in at 1:29 on this bike. Pretty much just what I would expect with the weight penalty. I didnít have any trouble and used the 50t only for a tiny part of the ascent.

Ok so next up is some tests on single-track on known courses. Iím sure it will be slower than my race bike but curious how the feel is. I have to remind myself that I bought this bike for fun and not racing but who am I kidding, I always want to go fast. Question for the forum. Has anyone tried 29Ē wheels yet. I have some super light Easton EC90 wheels that I could try out but would need to buy an xd driver and I am thinking these 24 spoke wheels are too delicate for this bike. I have been looking at AM928 by Light Bicycle wheels. They are about 1200 for the set which I think is pretty good for carbon wheels. Any thoughts on this upgrade? From what Iíve read this bike works with 29 but will the geometry be right?
    Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-m2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the info!

siv
    mtbr member
    Anyone coming off a 29er? I know 27.5+ should be close to the same wheel diameter but then again these aren't 3.0 tires, someone stated closer to 2.6.

siv
    mtbr member
    And how about the TT length? Comparing it to other bikes like Fuel EX and Giant Trance it's around a whole inch shorter, are you guys all sizing up?

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cedv View Post
    First week with my new HAL Boost TEAM SRAM Eagle. I love the way this bikes looks and the build seems solid. Set up was a breeze and within a few hours, I was test riding around the neighborhood. I am 5.9 and went with a 43Ē which seems to be a good fit. This is my first full suspension bike so I knew it was going to be heavier then what Iím used to and sure enough that was my first impression. But in all fairness my hard tail race bike is 21 lbs. so thatís probably not a fair comparison. Using my Shimano XT trail pedals it weighed in about 32 lbs. I ordered WTB tubeless valve stems and Stanís tubeless rim tape as I knew that will shave off substantial weight. I replaced the handlebar with a lighter Ritchey WCS (allow version). I changed the seat to a Ritchey WCS Streem which I now use on all my bikes and installed a Thompson Elite dropper post. The dropper is a 27.2 version so I installed a Tmars seatpost shim. Because my dropper is not the stealth version I simply routed the cable external under the top tube. Not sure if there is another way but its working well and easy to take off. I received my valves and tape and proceeded to convert to tubeless. As I took out the monstrous and heavy tubes I noticed that the wheels had a pretty good sealed yellow tape. I was not sure if this tape was designed for tubeless setup but decided to give it a go. Just installed the valves put in some stans and pop. Nice seal. Note on one the tire bead was not even all the way around. I deflated and made sure to pull in the bead as close the rim as possible and inflate again. I noticed one tire was losing air the next morning but simply added air and rotated getting the fluid all around and so far no leaking for at least the last few days. My setup at this point is 30.4 lbs.

I donít have that many rides in yet but I love the bike so far. The gearing is superb and Iím very used to 1xís now. My XTR 11-40 1x hardtail requires me to change front chainrings from 32 to 34 depending on the race course but on this eagle drivetrain I donít think I need to change a thing. The 50t is crazy low. The feel of the bike is good and Iím sure will get better once I get used to it. The 27.5 wheels feel like they turn well but I worry about rolling over obstacles. I tried some tech descents with lots of large rocks and very routed trail and no issues managing control but I donít feel confident yet. The Pike fork works great but does not lock out. At first I thought something may be wrong but I looked it up and I guess that is normal. The Monarch is quite firm on closed position but this is not the bike to be pedaling off the saddle. I climbed up a mountain that I have done lots of times with both my cross and hardtail. Itís a dirt road and very steep. My best time is 1:04 and I clocked in at 1:29 on this bike. Pretty much just what I would expect with the weight penalty. I didnít have any trouble and used the 50t only for a tiny part of the ascent.

Ok so next up is some tests on single-track on known courses. Iím sure it will be slower than my race bike but curious how the feel is. I have to remind myself that I bought this bike for fun and not racing but who am I kidding, I always want to go fast. Question for the forum. Has anyone tried 29Ē wheels yet. I have some super light Easton EC90 wheels that I could try out but would need to buy an xd driver and I am thinking these 24 spoke wheels are too delicate for this bike. I have been looking at AM928 by Light Bicycle wheels. They are about 1200 for the set which I think is pretty good for carbon wheels. Any thoughts on this upgrade? From what Iíve read this bike works with 29 but will the geometry be right?

Name:	m2.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	1150364
    Looking at the spec sheet that fork is supposed to lock out, open/trail/lock position with external rebound?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    And how about the TT length? Comparing it to other bikes like Fuel EX and Giant Trance it's around a whole inch shorter, are you guys all sizing up?
    That is my big hold up with this bike. The build is awesome I just wish the geo was more up to date. I am heavily leaning towards the db release with the corporate discount at this point.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    Looking at the spec sheet that fork is supposed to lock out, open/trail/lock position with external rebound?
    Yes it has the three settings and each one does affect the fork, however in the lock position it still has some travel. I think I'm just used to my Fox 32 lockout where it limits almost all travel. Curious what others with this bike have experienced?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I wanted to resurrect this for a moment because I had the same reservations about the geometry. The numbers just didn't sit right, so I got to work. Ignoring their published reach and stack numbers, and using the rest of their own geo data, I came up with this for a size large:

Reach: 453mm - BD publishes 430mm
    Stack: 607 (assumed a -20 BB drop, actual not published) - BD publishes 642.7mm

Needless to say these numbers are WAY different than what is published. While I can't say my numbers are unequivocally correct, I can tell you that assuming the other measurements provided by BD are accurate, their numbers aren't even in the ballpark. I can only speculate as to how they arrived there, but they are wrong, and probably losing potential sales because of it.

As a control, I took my own 2015 Niner RIP 9 alloy and went through the same exercise. The stack and reach numbers I came up with were within a few millimeters of the published spec.

And therein lies one of the problems with buying from BD. In many ways it's a leap of faith, because there is no telling if their geo charts are really even close to reality. I say that having bought three high-end bikes from them which have all worked out very well for me.

And on that note, I pre-ordered a burple (sounds like what Barney does after a bowl of chili) HAL Boost team with a projected ship date in early January. You can either view high-end BD bikes as the steal of the century, or worth the price for the drivetrain/fork/brakes alone and you may or may not get a frame with it that works for you. I'm hopeful the frame will work just fine.

siv
    mtbr member
    I just got a used 2017 Fuel EX9 for the reasons you just stated. Asked them about the geometry and they never replied back, plus you can't actually call them. Their loss. I will say I have a large Night Train that I like very much. Not sure what the numbers are but the top tube is good for me with a Thomson setback sestpost and 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have a large Sturgis, so same frame, and have also found it to fit me well with a 70mm stem and setback post. So with a 480mm axle-to-crown fork I came up with this....

Reach: 434.2
    Stack: 590.7

That sounds about right to me, as I run slightly shorter stems and straight posts on my trail bikes that have a longer reach of about 20-25mm, and my my position on the bike feels similar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Another update on the HAL Boost geo. I found an almost identical bike, geo-wise, that you should be able to trip over in your own town. Spesh Stumpy 6Fattie Alloy Comp. The geo of the two is no more than a couple mms apart in almost every measurement. The biggest difference between the two is chain stay length - the HALs are 11mm longer, and seat tube length (18.5 on the Spesh, 19" on the HAL).

Went and hopped on a large Spesh locally. Felt really good. So I think the HAL will be a good fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Well, the HAL Boost is out. Went with a 2018 Vitus Escarpe 29 VRX. It was a close race, but for $3100 the Vitus also comes with Eagle, a Reverb dropper installed, DT Swiss E1700 wheels with 350 hubs, and a stem and bar that won't need replaced, and that tipped the scales. Add in more modern geo and that sealed it. Still love and am keeping my Fantom Ti Boost and Sturgis NX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerOne View Post
    Well, the HAL Boost is out. Went with a 2018 Vitus Escarpe 29 VRX. It was a close race, but for $3100 the Vitus also comes with Eagle, a Reverb dropper installed, DT Swiss E1700 wheels with 350 hubs, and a stem and bar that won't need replaced, and that tipped the scales. Add in more modern geo and that sealed it. Still love and am keeping my Fantom Ti Boost and Sturgis NX.
    Was the db catch on your list?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yes, but the fairly common reports of misaligned bearing pockets and pivot shaft issues with the Catch and Release (gawd I hate DB bike names) steered me away. I will say the DB suite of bikes are an excellent deal. One other point in the favor of both the DB and Vitus over the Moto, is that they have threaded BBs instead of the Moto's CreakFit. I hate those things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerOne View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but could you write a quick review about this bike when you get it? You can post it in a different thread and just provide a link. I'm interested in the 2018 Escarpe 29 VR (not on CRC yet, but on Vitus's website), which is just a cheaper version of the VRX. Seems like a killer bike for the money. Also, are you in the US? If so, what was the purchasing and shipping process like with fees, customs, etc.? Ordering a bike overseas makes me a little nervous. I'm afraid of getting hit with big customs charges and/or the bike getting damaged in transit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Well, getting the Escarpe sure as hell isn't going very well at the moment. See my thread in the 'Where are the best deals' forum.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Anyone else waiting on the Hal6 Boost Team that had the shipping window Jan 15th-30th??? Anyone get their shipping email yet? I am getting antsy!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertForRealEstate View Post
    Anyone else waiting on the Hal6 Boost Team that had the shipping window Jan 15th-30th??? Anyone get their shipping email yet? I am getting antsy!!
    Waiting here as well. I ordered it on November 23 and received a prompt confirmation from PayPal, but I've never received anything from Bikes Direct. I didn't give that any thought until a week ago when, like you, I started getting antsy. So, I did shoot BD a quick e-mail asking whether I should have received a confirmation directly from them. I've not received a response, but that doesn't concern me much as I'm sure they have a lot of folks like me pestering them. Now, if I've heard nothing by the 31st . . ..

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatly View Post
    Waiting here as well. I ordered it on November 23 and received a prompt confirmation from PayPal, but I've never received anything from Bikes Direct. I didn't give that any thought until a week ago when, like you, I started getting antsy. So, I did shoot BD a quick e-mail asking whether I should have received a confirmation directly from them. I've not received a response, but that doesn't concern me much as I'm sure they have a lot of folks like me pestering them. Now, if I've heard nothing by the 31st . . ..
    I ordered Oct 26th but I DID get a confirmation email the next day from both BD and Paypal. Hopefully I get a SHIPPING email soon!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertForRealEstate View Post
    I ordered Oct 26th but I DID get a confirmation email the next day from both BD and Paypal. Hopefully I get a SHIPPING email soon!
    Finally got mine this week and it is SWEET!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hello,
    I am new to the site.....I currently ride a GT Force 1 (26" wheel), but was looking to upgrade to a 27.5 Plus bike. I saw the 2018 Motobecane Hal Boost Team bike and think that it looks awesome. I was hoping that some of you who are on this thread and have purchased this bike could let me know if you have really enjoyed the bike or if you have had any problems. This bike is a little more pricey then I really wanted to go, but it looks like a Great deal. Is it worth the price??

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I received my HAL Boost in January. I put wider rims on the bike because I am not so sure that 29 mm is wide enough for a 2.8 tire. Other than that, the bike is stock and is fantastic. Climbs well and handles all of the rough stuff. The suspension feels great. It smooths out the rocks and roots, but is not mushy. The shifting is perfect. Downshifting on a rocky technical climb is no issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Awesome... Great to hear that the bike is legit!! What size of frame did you purchase? Also what size and type of rims did you go with? I am looking to purchase one this week and am just a little stuck on what size I should order, a small or medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryLaco View Post
    Awesome... Great to hear that the bike is legit!! What size of frame did you purchase? Also what size and type of rims did you go with? I am looking to purchase one this week and am just a little stuck on what size I should order, a small or medium.
    I am 6'00" so I went with the large. I bought the Ibis 738 wheelset. At $500 they are a little pricey, but there are less expensive options. The wheels have a 34 mm inner width. I run the tires tubeless at around 17 psi. Those tubes are heavy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello all! Kinda new. Was wondering if any of the owners can give an updated review of the HAL boost team 27.5 boost since they've been out a while. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam 180 lbs. Think a medium is a good idea? I'm hoping to order one soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have just ordered one of the Hal Boost Team bikes, but I am 5'6" with about a 30 inch inseam so I ended up going with a small. I have corresponded with a couple of riders who have purchased them and they said that they really liked the bike. One the individuals had replied about sizing and here is what he said: "I'm 5í9 with 33 inseam and always feel like in between large and med. I decided to go med on this bikeand feel that was a good choice. I did feel I needed to extend the reach a little so changed out to a longer stem but that probably has a lot to do with my riding style as well. Iím more an XC rider.
    I have to say that Iím super impressed with this bike. I am currently using 29Ē carbon wheels and gotthe weight down to about 27lbs but if I do anything crazy I change back down to27.5+."
    Good luck...The sizing thing drove me nuts too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryLaco View Post
    I have just ordered one of the Hal Boost Team bikes, but I am 5'6" with about a 30 inch inseam so I ended up going with a small. I have corresponded with a couple of riders who have purchased them and they said that they really liked the bike. One the individuals had replied about sizing and here is what he said: "I'm 5í9 with 33 inseam and always feel like in between large and med. I decided to go med on this bikeand feel that was a good choice. I did feel I needed to extend the reach a little so changed out to a longer stem but that probably has a lot to do with my riding style as well. Iím more an XC rider.
    I have to say that Iím super impressed with this bike. I am currently using 29Ē carbon wheels and gotthe weight down to about 27lbs but if I do anything crazy I change back down to27.5+."
    Good luck...The sizing thing drove me nuts too!
    Thanks! Most I talk to say to go large; saying its easier to shorten everything to fit (improves performance) rather than the opposite. Even BD sales couldn't help. Saying go Medium for performance and Large for comfort...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Well I just got my Hal Boost Team, small frame (38cm), a couple of days ago and have to say that it is AWESOME. I had some concerns about the size, but am now glad that I went with the small frame as it fits me well (I am 5'6" with 30" inseam). I have only gone on two rides, each about 11 miles, but they have been Amazing....I would have to say that this bike has made the rides easier (both on climbs and descent), and more fun!! My only regret so far is that I waited so long to purchase it! Cant wait for my next ride!!!!

Live Free & Ride
    Can anyone confirm if this plus size frame will also fit a 29er wheel/tire? Was looking at this bike as a conversion to 29 x 2.4 to a small 2.6. Would also raise the BB some and provide more clearance from pedal strikes. Then long chainstays on these would seem to make it probable but wanted to make sure. THnx.
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thereís a end of summer sale going on. I found it on slickdeals. 300 off

mtbr member
    I bought the Hal Boost Elite GX on that summer sale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Got my 2019 Hal Boost 27.5+ Team about a week ago. The bike came quickly. It was packed well. The chainstay did have a few scratches from what I would guess is the chain hitting it in transit. Luckily it was just the protective tape and not the paint. The rear wheel had a little wobble to it, which was easy to fix.

Bike went together easily. The manuals / instructions that came with the bike are very disappointing to say the least. The bike manual itself is from a bike with cantilever brakes! Sad. They need to update the literature for sure. At least something with torque specs so you don't have to google everything when you assemble!

I have 37 miles on this bike so far in varying terrain. Some flowy and a lot of tech. All I can say it this bike is AWESOME. It handles unbelievable. This is my first full suspension bike.....having come from a 2012 Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper. I am only sorry I didn't switch to FS sooner! The only complaint I have is the cranks are much lower so it took a bit to get used to it.

The XO Eagle 12 speed is AMAZING. It shifts so smooth and quiet, I keep looking down to make sure it changed gears! LOL. The Maxxis Rekon's are grippy...even with tubes in them. (need to convert to tubeless) This bike can climb anything. I don't see much difference from my hard tail.

I have added an e*thirteen TRS+ 125mm dropper and Oury grips. (The 150mm won't fit the large frame. If they added a dropper to this bike it would be absolutely perfect! But, I guess you can't have everything at once!

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Very true about those instructions. They look like something from the 80's! LOL

ScottBikes23
    Sep 2018

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I just ordered my 2019 Motobecane HAL Boost EAGLE LTD SRAM 1x12, black.. Says it'll be here by Friday! We'll see since it's Labor Day today.

Thanks to Amazon, I've already received my grips and tire sealant

I'll post pics when built and a review when ridden.

*EDIT* DB is out of stock on the HAL Boost Eagle LTD

**EDIT#2** BD emailed and offered the Boost Team for $200 extra.. I said $100.. they said yes! SCORE!!

The bike is great. The build was easy (tho I used to wrench). I've got the suspension dialed in for the most part and I took the tubes out. Getting the tubes out is a MUST with tires this big .. they add a lot of weight. I put on a shorter stem and went with platform pedals. Tho I've had clipless for the last 20 years, I really like the freedom of the platforms.
    This bike definitely needs a dropper post.. I'm getting a Fox.
    Another must of an upgrade would be the wheels. The stock wtb's are serviceable but they're heavy and loud. I've getting some deemax soon.
    I haven't ridden anything too gnarly yet, but it seems like it's gonna do just fine on most anything I take it on.
    I would strongly recommend the Motobecane Hal Boost Team ... if you're on a budget.
    If you have a little more $$, look at the Canyon Strive. Seems like a pretty sweet bike at a really sweet price.
    Anyway, Happy Riding on whatever you have or get.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Hal Boost Team 27.5 Plus-81d7bb8b-8f16-4cc5-a644-f231b87fab5b.jpg  

Last edited by scottbikes23; 09-21-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicch95 View Post
    Got my 2019 Hal Boost 27.5+ Team about a week ago. The bike came quickly. It was packed well. The chainstay did have a few scratches from what I would guess is the chain hitting it in transit. Luckily it was just the protective tape and not the paint. The rear wheel had a little wobble to it, which was easy to fix.

Bike went together easily. The manuals / instructions that came with the bike are very disappointing to say the least. The bike manual itself is from a bike with cantilever brakes! Sad. They need to update the literature for sure. At least something with torque specs so you don't have to google everything when you assemble!

I have 37 miles on this bike so far in varying terrain. Some flowy and a lot of tech. All I can say it this bike is AWESOME. It handles unbelievable. This is my first full suspension bike.....having come from a 2012 Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper. I am only sorry I didn't switch to FS sooner! The only complaint I have is the cranks are much lower so it took a bit to get used to it.

The XO Eagle 12 speed is AMAZING. It shifts so smooth and quiet, I keep looking down to make sure it changed gears! LOL. The Maxxis Rekon's are grippy...even with tubes in them. (need to convert to tubeless) This bike can climb anything. I don't see much difference from my hard tail.

I have added an e*thirteen TRS+ 125mm dropper and Oury grips. (The 150mm won't fit the large frame. If they added a dropper to this bike it would be absolutely perfect! But, I guess you can't have everything at once!

Ride on!
    87 miles in and LOVE IT! The handling on this bike is incredible. The suspension works great.

One negative is that the rear "Maxle" has come loose twice on me. NOT good. I think I will remedy it with some removable loctite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicch95 View Post
    One negative is that the rear "Maxle" has come loose twice on me. NOT good. I think I will remedy it with some removable loctite.
    Interested in getting a hal boost. The thru-axle threads into the aluminum removable derailure hanger, right?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    For those on the XL frame, is the standover really that high? 34" is huge. I know the full suspension and 6" of suspension is the culprit, but that's still up there.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

ScottBikes23
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    For those on the XL frame, is the standover really that high? 34" is huge. I know the full suspension and 6" of suspension is the culprit, but that's still up there.
    Its just over 30"

ScottBikes23
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Interested in getting a hal boost. The thru-axle threads into the aluminum removable derailure hanger, right?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How long has shipping been taking. I live in Italy but I'm back in Texas for 5 days. I want to buy a bike and take the box with me on the plane. Thanks y'all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekgould View Post
    How long has shipping been taking. I live in Italy but I'm back in Texas for 5 days. I want to buy a bike and take the box with me on the plane. Thanks y'all.
    I bought my Hal6 last year but looks like they ship out of Texas so it should be quick! I got mine delivered by FedEx. Shipped 6/28 and arrived 7/1.

I would call and see if the bikes are still in TX. I'm pretty sure that's where their warehouse so you should be set!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am awaiting delivery of my Hal Boost Pro in the next couple of days. Looking at droppers. Anyone have any recommendations for a internally routed dropper that's friendly on the wallet? I have seen the Brand X Ascend 120mm 30.9 410mm at ~$135. I have the 43cm frame. Is this dropper to long in the tooth or will it get the job done?

Edit: Took a chance on this internal post. For my 43cm frame it was almost perfect. It is 365mm with 100mm of travel. I am glad I didn't get the 410mm mentioned above as it would of pretruted to far out of the seat tube for my taste. Only time can tell if it will hold up. But for $100, I think it was worth a shot.
    Last edited by Takenover83; 10-22-2018 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Takenover83 View Post
    I am awaiting delivery of my Hal Boost Pro in the next couple of days. Looking at droppers. Anyone have any recommendations for a internally routed dropper that's friendly on the wallet? I have seen the Brand X Ascend 120mm 30.9 410mm at ~$135. I have the 43cm frame. Is this dropper to long in the tooth or will it get the job done?

Edit: Took a chance on this internal post. For my 43cm frame it was almost perfect. It is 365mm with 100mm of travel. I am glad I didn't get the 410mm mentioned above as it would of pretruted to far out of the seat tube for my taste. Only time can tell if it will hold up. But for $100, I think it was worth a shot.
    Silly question here, but I'm looking at the 38cm frame (5'-6.5"), and wondering if it has bottle cage mounts on it. When I ride locally, I don't carry a pack, so I like to be able to put an ACCESSIBLE bottle on the frame for shorter rides.

Good looking bike, great spec, great price right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmateo1 View Post
    Silly question here, but I'm looking at the 38cm frame (5'-6.5"), and wondering if it has bottle cage mounts on it. When I ride locally, I don't carry a pack, so I like to be able to put an ACCESSIBLE bottle on the frame for shorter rides.

Good looking bike, great spec, great price right now.
    Accessible, as in "NOT on the bottom side of the downtube." Thanks...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's on the bottom side

banned
    Dec 2018
    Can someone measure chain stay length? There's some question about whether the bikes direct spec sheet is accurate or not. It lists 448 mm but others say it's actually 435mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast