Motobecane and frame design- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Motobecane and frame design

First of all, this thread isn't meant to knock Motobecane or Bikes Direct in any way. I'm actually quite happy with my Windsor Cliff 4500, which I purchased from Bikes Direct, but one of the things that factored into my decision to buy a Windsor instead of a Moto was because the frame design seemed a lot more up to date. When I look at the Motos, particularely the 300 to 700 series, the frames look really dated. Even in some of the more pricey models, it doesn't look like the frame design has changed much in 15 years.

Again, I'm not trying to knock Motobecane or Bikes Direct...its just someting I've noticed. I'm sure most people on Motos could ride circles around me and my Windsor, but I'd really like to get your opinions on this matter. If anything, I hope this thread will encourage Bikes Direct to start updating the frame designs of Motobecane, just as they have with other brands, such as Windsor and Gravity. If I've overlooked something, please forgive my ignorance!

mtbr member
    They just came out with some sweet new 29 fs bikes. As far as the higher up ht frames go they are good frames you always need to look at the geometry and see if it fits you. Sure the frames are not as good as some of the more expensive ones but for the quality build you get for the price point its much better. I think the bikes are great for a budget and if you don't like the frame later you can get a new one and still have good parts.

mtbr member
    The Motobecane frames are slowly being updated. Yes, they have other lines in the BD family like Gravity and Windsor that have more modern designs but the 2011 Moto 29er Full Suspension is a good example of their progress. Again, many people would argue that the frame and design is rather dated, IMHO it looks good and it's a solid and practical choice.

Others would also argue that they do not spend much in research and designing bikes. But hey, that isn't their company philosophy or market strategy. Their aim is to provide bang for the buck to the masses.

My only gripe (very minor at that) is the graphics and paint on the bikes. I totally love black and brushed metal looks, but I have a great appreciation for the beautiful graphics and paint jobs of Trek, Giant, etc.. Yes, it would add to the cost of the bike, but I'd be willing to shell out a few more bucks for slick paint and graphics.

Props to Mike and the BD team for providing good products for budget conscious consumers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
    The Motobecane frames are slowly being updated. Yes, they have other lines in the BD family like Gravity and Windsor that have more modern designs but the 2011 Moto 29er Full Suspension is a good example of their progress. Again, many people would argue that the frame and design is rather dated, IMHO it looks good and it's a solid and practical choice.

Others would also argue that they do not spend much in research and designing bikes. But hey, that isn't their company philosophy or market strategy. Their aim is to provide bang for the buck to the masses.

My only gripe (very minor at that) is the graphics and paint on the bikes. I totally love black and brushed metal looks, but I have a great appreciation for the beautiful graphics and paint jobs of Trek, Giant, etc.. Yes, it would add to the cost of the bike, but I'd be willing to shell out a few more bucks for slick paint and graphics.

Props to Mike and the BD team for providing good products for budget conscious consumers.
    Thats what I am saying its great if you don't have the money for a good paint job lol.
    I like how you can get a reba fork and xtr parts and a ti frame for under 2000 bucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Whoops wrong thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    I think the bikes are great for a budget and if you don't like the frame later you can get a new one and still have good parts.
    True that!
    Last edited by getagrip; 06-17-2011 at 12:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I like the Fantom or Fly frame

The only Parts Ive had to replace on A Motobecame was a chain and pedals. this bike ran North East CX and road for 3 years, spring, sumer and fall seasons,with the rider weighing in over 215 lbs .
    pounder d some downhill too. un broke and unwashed since 2007!

they are well built with a decent set of components,good welds and tubes.
    I like to think they will not mess up a good thing with this restructure and or process of fabrication.

anyone have links to drawings or schematics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I guess I don't understand what the OP is referring to in regards to frame design. Do you mean the lack of hydroformed tubes and graphics or tubing quality?

One of the draws for me was the straight TT. I like simple lines, very few decals, and brushed metal or single color bikes. My Fantom Pro handles incredibly well and the geometry is spot on.

But to contradict myself, I have to say I wished I had more SO at times. I am 6'05" and have an XL and I have just enough SO height. A hydroformed TT would have helped in this regard plus it would help Motobecane by making a bike fit a wider range of body sizes: someone with shorter legs and a longer torso could go one size up, for example, but that couldn't happen with a straight TT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is of relevant interest to me, Ive been trying to decide between a motobecane and a gravity bike. Since I'm really more interested in riding my bike and not much of a technical enthusiast, i am thinking about the gravity .3/.4 because of the hydroformed downtube. I know that being heavyset, (6'2 @180lbs) I'm going to need the extra resilience when I'm jumping off roof tops and over large transport vehicles.

mtbr member
    The only gripe I have (really more of an observation) is the 700 HT uses a non-standard bearing dia in their head tube. I am in the process of using the 700 as a parts donor for a bike build I'm doing for a friend. That's when I discovered the size difference. I just ended up running down to the LBS and grabbed a $20 Cane Creek, but it is something to note. Other than that It all seems standard fare.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

banned

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    The only gripe I have (really more of an observation) is the 700 HT uses a non-standard bearing dia in their head tube. I am in the process of using the 700 as a parts donor for a bike build I'm doing for a friend. That's when I discovered the size difference. I just ended up running down to the LBS and grabbed a $20 Cane Creek, but it is something to note. Other than that It all seems standard fare.
    I thought you got the Nashbar house brand frame for your friend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    I thought you got the Nashbar house brand frame for your friend?
    I did. I'm building the bike for her during her visit. I'm using my 19" 700 as a parts donor because I don't ride it anymore since I bought the Fly Pro. During the parts swap the 700's headset bearings wouldn't work in the Nashbar because the 700's aren't std dia. That made me have to buy a new headset for the new frame because I couldn't reuse them. Sorry if I confused things above.

Here's an almost completed shot. Waiting on some cable cutters to finish the r.derailleur. The bike frames are so similar I was able to re-use all the other cable lines without doing any housing cuts. This was despite the Nashbar routes the cables above and the 700 below. The Nashbar being 4" smaller helped I'm sure and it looks like all I will just have to do is trim the cable ends.

For finishing touches I found a sign store and ordered some custom stickers for the downtube and an accent top cap to give it a bit of color. Still need to find a bottle cage to add some color too. If she likes it I will put a few more things on it to further personalize it. For you guys with wives/gf that's a Sette Luna seat. Crossing my fingers its comfortable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane and frame design-dscn0786.jpg  

Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcalibur View Post
    I'm going to need the extra resilience when I'm jumping off roof tops and over large transport vehicles.
    If you are serious, you are looking at the wrong bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmas View Post
    If you are serious, you are looking at the wrong bikes.
    yeah for sure you need something other than a motobecane

this is what you need to jump off the house

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ry/7347/44102/

banned
    Thre is a world of difference between cycling for fun, sport, or amateur competition, and performing idiotic stunts. The Evel Knievel in some here has absolutely nothing to do with what frame to get, but what's the point of jumping off tall buildings or over several tractor trailers with the resultant gaping, gapping, toothless maw that results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2012 moto is going to update their frame or not? I'm looking to get a new bike pretty soon....maybe i'll go with scott scale..but waiting to see what's new with moto

banned
    When it comes to hardtail frames, the geometry is pretty much dialed in already with no change needed....compare several HT brand geometries, from inexpensive to overpriced "custom" frames, and you will find their respective geometries satisfies all of Euclid's Axiom's, ie: they're all the same.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    When it comes to hardtail frames, the geometry is pretty much dialed in already with no change needed....compare several HT brand geometries, from inexpensive to overpriced "custom" frames, and you will find their respective geometries satisfies all of Euclid's Axiom's, ie: they're all the same.
    Don't tell that to all the haters who run about saying Motos geometry is ten years behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz View Post
    I guess I don't understand what the OP is referring to in regards to frame design. Do you mean the lack of hydroformed tubes and graphics or tubing quality?

One of the draws for me was the straight TT. I like simple lines, very few decals, and brushed metal or single color bikes. My Fantom Pro handles incredibly well and the geometry is spot on.

But to contradict myself, I have to say I wished I had more SO at times. I am 6'05" and have an XL and I have just enough SO height. A hydroformed TT would have helped in this regard plus it would help Motobecane by making a bike fit a wider range of body sizes: someone with shorter legs and a longer torso could go one size up, for example, but that couldn't happen with a straight TT.
    The SO height and the TT length were what led me to another manufacturer after 6 years of owning a Moto. I felt the geo was strange and not well sorted out for taller riders. I thought it odd that for a quarter inch longer TT, the SO went up 1.75 inches. Go figure.

Members who have read this thread: 0