Motobecane Fly Ti 29er vs. Fantom Ti 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Motobecane Fly Ti 29er vs. Fantom Ti 29er

Which would you chose between these two;
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...I_29_x9_30.htm
    Fantom Ti 29er, X9 3x10, Reba w/15mm through axle
    The Through Axle and $400 savings looks good..

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...I_29_xo_20.htm
    Fly Ti 29er, XO 2x10
    The lighter wheels and tires will be missed if the Fantom is bought.

Any thoughts? I could wait for the next shipment of Fly Team 29ers if needed.
    Last edited by Cemoto; 07-02-2011 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Fantom and Fly Ti 29ers are basically the same bike with different component specs. I would suggest you go with the spec that appeals to you most. I would go with the Fly, because I would prefer the lighter bike and I personally don't find much value in a through axle fork.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The TA was the main attraction for me, but I have been getting mixed attitudes about the through axle fork. I do not ride very extreme terrain, so it probably isn't that important in my case. But I do notice how much better my rigid fork tracks over rough ground than my 80mm Reba 29er forks (both an 07' and 10' model years).
    I would prefer the XO, but the only one in my size available is a 2x10. I am not sure if I will always be strong enough to push it.
    The Fantom frame seems to be slightly different. Looking at the geometry links the top tube and chain stays are longer and I wonder if the tubing thickness was increased to allow more aggressive riding? Which would be added weight that I may not need due to my riding style. I weigh about 200# with my pack, I am 5' 9" and looking at the 17.5".
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by Cemoto; 07-02-2011 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The frames may be different. But I do not trust the geometry charts at BD. Mainly because they never update them. Like for instance when they add longer forks to a model, they still use the same geometry chart and just say "add 0.75" standover". What they don't say is whether the head tube angle was adjusted to compensate for the longer fork or not. Also a longer fork will change the seat tube angle, and effective top tube length. So really its always little bit of a mystery as to what the actually geometry measurements are. I assume since the Fantom is new that its measurements are correct. But as for the Fly, there may have been changes made to the frame for the current model and whether the geometry chart was updated is anyones guess.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Cemoto... I had the same thoughts/questions on Ti Fly 29 vs. Ti Fantom 29. Thanks for bringing up this thread.

However, I just want to point out that it's Fantom... not Fanthom.

ljsmith... Thanks for your input. Objective and to the point.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks,

I tried to fix the spelling in the earlier posts.
    Have you made a choice between the two?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm glad you posted this. I am working on the same decision. I am leaning towards the Fantom. The components are a step down from the Fly, but I like having the option for larger wheels.

The wheelset that comes with the Fantom is heavier but also beefier than the Fly. As a heavy guy who is not the smoothest rider, I know I would have to replace the wheelset on the Fly right off the bat.

The geometry really doesn't change much between the models. It really seems to come down to components and choice of wheelset.

Let us know if you find out anything else.

mtbr member
    I'm leaning towards the Ti Fly 29 because it's available today... I can't (don't) want to wait until July 30 for Ti Fantom 29.

But here's another option... confusing me even more...

I buy the Ti Fly 29 frame (Size 17.5) & shock now available. I also buy the Fantom 29PRO (size 13 = the only stock left). Then install all the parts onto the Ti frame and Ebay/CL the extra fork and small Fantom frame. The extra work is a major drag and may pass beyond July 30.. but there is a possibility I might save some money.

I'm still wrestling with my demons.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Ti Fly 29 because it's available today... I can't (don't) want to wait until July 30 for Ti Fantom 29.

But here's another option... confusing me even more...

I buy the Ti Fly 29 frame (Size 17.5) & shock now available. I also buy the Fantom 29PRO (size 13 = the only stock left). Then install all the parts onto the Ti frame and Ebay/CL the extra fork and small Fantom frame. The extra work is a major drag and may pass beyond July 30.. but there is a possibility I might save some money.

I'm still wrestling with my demons.

Just the satisfaction of doing the build yourself and knowing it was done right would seal the deal for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Just the satisfaction of doing the build yourself and knowing it was done right would seal the deal for me.
    same thing here with me..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just wondering where you are on your decision. I decided to go with the Fantom. It's 2 pounds heavier but most of that weight is where it counts - the wheelset. I want the slightly beefier wheelset and the 30 speed. I like having that big ring in front for when I am on the road riding to the trails.

I would gladly have paid more to have the XO rather than the X9 components, but it's just not a big deal to me. In the end, it just makes it a little bit cheaper to replace parts when I inevitably break them.

I ordered a monkeylite riser bar today to replace the bar that comes with the bike - I have heard the bar that comes with it is not the bar on the description and is like a 500mm flat racing bar. Also got a thudbuster just to try it out. I will probably keep everything else stock unless the saddle is just ridiculously uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had the Fantom 29er on order, but canceled it for now. I am leaning towards a lighter bike versus a more robust one. The idea of a through axle fork, and the price, is what attracted me to the Fantom but it would most likely be over kill for me. For now I will keep riding my Sette Razzo, Trek Top Fuel 69er, or rigid SS Carver 96er. My thought was to sell two bikes to buy the Motobecane, but for now I will hang tight. Let use know what your opinions of the Fantom Ti are.

newfydog
    May 2009
    I'll cross post this here from the 29er fs thread, since I compare the bikes---both xtr triples:

Well, mine went together in a flash. I changed the front tire to a tubeless Racing Ralph 2.4 using the Stans 29er strip over the existing strip, after drilling the hole to 3/8". Sealed first try. Thought I'd try the rear as it is.

Weight with spd 747 pedals for a large is 29.7 lbs. I'm surprised the other 6'0" riders like the medium. I went with the large because the effective top tube was listed at 615, while my 19" 29er Ti is listed at 622. The website lists that 19 inch frame for 5' 11" to 6' 1" and that bike fits me well. I would be one scrunched up dude if I went any shorter, and by the time I had the saddle where I wanted it the saddle to bar distance was real close to my Ti bike.

I did a short but rough ride. I never bottomed out and never felt like I was on a pig, so I guess they hit a good balance. The three position rear shock is really nice. There is a bit of pedal induced action, even when seated, in the softest setting and only a trace of it standing in the stiffest. Much better standing than some bikes I've tried, a bit bouncy, but not like running in sand. The front tire seemed a bit more prone to washout than the Ti in sandy stuff at slow speeds, but going fast on tight single tracks it felt real solid.

Those brakes may be more powerful than my 160 rotors on the Ti bike, but the biggest difference is they really modulate nicely.

The rear tire is not bad, bigger than the 2.1 would indicate, but I wasn't thrilled with the traction. There is plenty of clearance for something bigger.

The saddle is almost useable. As in it might go on the grocery bike.

I've had four FS bikes over the last 20 years. I get one whenever I spent much time away from the smooth trails here in Bend, Oregon, and get rid of it every time I return. Of course, they get better with each bike, and this one looks like a keeper. The shuttle groups are beating some of our trails to a potholed pulp, and this bike will make them easier on my aging carcass. I'll keep this one set up with big tires and run a smoother 2.1on the Ti 29er bike, and with my Moto Ti cyclocross bike, I've got the steed to match any ride. What I like about Motobecane is that I was able to afford all three.