Motobecane Fantom 29PRO parts?- Mtbr.com
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

Motobecane Fantom 29PRO parts?

Bike should be here on Monday, cant wait! but the weight is pretty high out of the box from what I read...

What would you recommend I replace on the bike first? Goal is to remove anything super cheap or replace parts that can cut weight the most?

DynoDon
    Congradulations, Ride it, you've got a good bike, enjoy it, replace as needed. Change things for fit/comfort, like grips, bars, pedals, saddle, add a computer, get a heart rate monitor, Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance book, maybe some tires that'll work better for your area. Happy Trails

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Thanks, I forgot to mention this is the 2010 pro which I believe the 11' is a big jump up being that it's almost twice the price...

I have heard a few guys mention the saddle isn't very good or handlebar didn't fit well... Just was wondering what areas would be the weakest on the stock bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high
    Bike should be here on Monday, cant wait! but the weight is pretty high out of the box from what I read...

What would you recommend I replace on the bike first? Goal is to remove anything super cheap or replace parts that can cut weight the most?
    Get appropriate tires first. I like Racing Ralphs tubeless with a 2.4 in the front.

I thought going to a carbon Monkeylite XC bar was a big improvement for the ride on my Ti version. Had the narrow bar from the Fly 26" originally though.

Rear cassette will be something of a boat anchor but honestly I'd ride it around a little bit before replacing too many things.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got the 2010 Fantom 29pro, for 695 couldn't pass it up, suprised I haven't seen more posts of people ordering this bike. I wanted a Trek Marlin but I guess they are sold out until August? Glad I stumbled across BD. I hope your better at working on bikes than I am. I have read how easy the assembly is, for me it was more than I expected and the instructions suck. The front brake doesn't work at all, needs to be bled. The bike did come in on time and I did manage to get it all together and have been riding it around the neighborhood, need to try to dial in the rear derailer, but still a great buy, and over all I don't see where you could get a better bike for the money. I have an appt at an LBS to get the brake bled, that is over my head.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Sorry to hear about your trouble man, but at least you got an awesome deal on a fine bike

Someone must be buying all their bikes because I tried to order 4 bikes before I actually found one "In stock" and for sale!!! LOL... I almost did not but the 2010 fantom pro because they did not have ANY of the "Matte Slate" in stock but realized the Matte Sliver was not really "silver"...

Im pretty good with my hands and really hadnt given it a second thought putting it together. Actually feel more comfortable doing the assembly personally even though Ive never built a bike. Ive built a few "real" bikes from the ground up as well as a 69 chevelle, 67 stingray, and some other stuff. So how hard could it be right

Mondays almost here! yippie!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You won't have any problems then. A friend of mine bought a full suspension from bd and the shifters and brake levers were already on the bars, and brakes all hooked up. All he had to do was put the seat, bars and pedals on. Oh well, the bright side is I learned something and won't be afraid to change things out if I need to. I got the matte silver and I think it looks sharp, I actually chose that color. I'm 5'9 and got the 17", fits pretty good, if anything a tad tall, hardly no standover, but the reach feels good. Wonder if I did something wrong to get air in the line of that front brake when installing? I almost got talked into the Trek Cobia, would have been over $1000 for a pretty comparable bike.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I also got the 17" and im 5'10" maybe 5'11" Im glad to hear the size doesn't sound like it would be too small...

Im not sure about the brake line, but was there a spacer in the caliper to keep it open? It may have gotten air just from the shipping process. Im not familiar with bicycle disk brake, but if it functions the same as motorcycle/car caliper there should be a bleed valve on the caliper. You would depress the brake handle and open the valve while continuing to squeeze the brake all the way down. Hydraulic fluid will come out along with the air bubbles. While holding the brake lever fully depressed you then re-tighten the bleed valve and release the handle. It should then suck new fluid down into the brake lines and caliper. You would repeat this process a few times or until you see no air coming out form the caliper anymore. Again, this would apply to a car or motorcycle so I may have just told you something totally irrelevant
    But maybe it will help you take care of the issue yourself, good luck!

P.s. I just checked and it looks like bike brakes are more complicated than typical hydraulic brakes, basically they are done in reverse. Your forcing fluid up through the bottom to remove the air rather then down from the top...
    Last edited by Ace5high; 05-08-2011 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm considering the Fantom Pro to replace by late '80s era DB mtn bike, so just about anything will be an improvement! Does anyone have some pix's, wondering what the silver looks like and also the slate. I'm 5-9, was checking the ETT length, and it looks like I'm into a 15, the 17 is just a little too long and tall. Really hoping to selll one of my current bikes so I can get one of these

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I have posted pics of the silver in few of my threads. Try these:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=714664

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=707735

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skleaf View Post
    I just got the 2010 Fantom 29pro, for 695 couldn't pass it up, suprised I haven't seen more posts of people ordering this bike. I wanted a Trek Marlin but I guess they are sold out until August? Glad I stumbled across BD. I hope your better at working on bikes than I am. I have read how easy the assembly is, for me it was more than I expected and the instructions suck. The front brake doesn't work at all, needs to be bled. The bike did come in on time and I did manage to get it all together and have been riding it around the neighborhood, need to try to dial in the rear derailer, but still a great buy, and over all I don't see where you could get a better bike for the money. I have an appt at an LBS to get the brake bled, that is over my head.
    I dont know if your bike came with the juicys or what but i found this, hope it helps and saves you money.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...-bleed-service

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good tip. I figure with the amount I'd be saving getting a BD bike, and in a way taking money from my LBS, I'll let them assemble it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's what I did. Picked my Fantom 29Pro up yesterday and man this is a sweet bike. I still was less than the Giant Talon 1 I was gonna buy at 980 even with buying assembly, helmet, waterbottle, cage and gloves. So yeah, pretty stoked! I went the matte grey and is pretty close to a gun metal color. So sick...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi,
    Sorry to hijack your thread here but since I'm new, I can't start a thread.
    But since you are talking about your Juicy's I have a problem with initial setup of my Juicy sevens. I can't find the damn bolts that attach the front caliper to the fork. I've looked everywhere in the packaging for them. Can any of you tell me where they usually pack them when you got your bike? It's frustrating to say the least. I have an email off to BD. There weren't any big holes in the box (other than the handles).
    Thanks for your help.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by drew8mc View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry to hijack your thread here but since I'm new, I can't start a thread.
    But since you are talking about your Juicy's I have a problem with initial setup of my Juicy sevens. I can't find the damn bolts that attach the front caliper to the fork. I've looked everywhere in the packaging for them. Can any of you tell me where they usually pack them when you got your bike? It's frustrating to say the least. I have an email off to BD. There weren't any big holes in the box (other than the handles).
    Thanks for your help.
    Im pretty sure my all came in large bags with many nuts and bolts (few separate bags for different parts). You shouldn't have trouble finding them so definitely get in touch with BD via email or phone and im sure they'll send you some. BD is really great to their customers!

BTW - if your able to post here, than you should be able to create a thread

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I didn't see any sort of big bag with parts in it. They haven't responded to my email yet. I'm sure they'll get me the parts I need, it just sucks to not have a front brake right now.

Oh and when I try to create a thread it says I must have 5 posts before they will allow me to start a thread.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by drew8mc View Post
    I didn't see any sort of big bag with parts in it. They haven't responded to my email yet. I'm sure they'll get me the parts I need, it just sucks to not have a front brake right now.

Oh and when I try to create a thread it says I must have 5 posts before they will allow me to start a thread.
    How long since your email? Normally I hear back in 24 hours... Have you said hello in the new members area? All you need to do is reply a few more times and your there

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just emailed this morning... did the build last night.

That's why I keep replying to you... if you keep asking me questions, I'll be there!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Also, you could always send him a PM... not sure how many posts that might take though...

Members who have read this thread: 0