Motobecane Fantom 29 PRO questions.- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

Motobecane Fantom 29 PRO questions.

I have a couple questions dealing with this bike. I am pretty new to Mountain Biking, but I went a few times and I am getting pretty addicted so now I want to get my own bike instead of wrecking someone elses! haha Anyway I went to my LBS and picked out the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, but that is about 1000$! So I looked online for better prices and soon came across bikesdirect.com. I was VERY hesitant at first, but after coming to this forum and seeing all of the happy customers I am definitely willing to give it moto a shot, much better components...wayyy lower price.

I do have a few questions however. I have been reading that I pretty much have to replace the wheels if I want to do any serious XC riding...what would be a good wheel set for this, I don't really have much money, but then again I don't want to bend a rim every time I go for a ride.

My second question is a little more important. On the website it has an * next to the "100mm* Rockshox" Should I convert the fork to 100mm, and has anyone actually done this?

Last but not least does anyone have a pic up of what the MatteSlate(Gray) bike looks like?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Mar 2009
    Cancel asking about the matte slate...found one! Looks nice.... =D

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    if you are new to mtn biking, dont worry about the wheelset

chances are you wont be riding hard enough to beat them up too much...wait until they break, then worry about buying new wheels....lots of people love to immediatley upgrade and change out brand new parts, but its not somehting you HAVE to do.

as far as the fork goes, just ride it and see how you like it, if you feel you might need more travel, then worry about converting it.

the bike is well spec'd for the money, ride it and replace as you need to , dont worry about what some people say about how you need to change everything out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by axcxnj
    if you are new to mtn biking, dont worry about the wheelset

chances are you wont be riding hard enough to beat them up too much...wait until they break, then worry about buying new wheels....lots of people love to immediatley upgrade and change out brand new parts, but its not somehting you HAVE to do.

as far as the fork goes, just ride it and see how you like it, if you feel you might need more travel, then worry about converting it.

the bike is well spec'd for the money, ride it and replace as you need to , dont worry about what some people say about how you need to change everything out.

I disagree slightly. Yes, ride what you got and see if it works, but I would not hesitate to look at a lighter, more responsive wheelset if you feel that it is sluggish/heavy. It will make a huge difference in your riding experience.

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A few people (like myself) have reported getting a 100mm fork with a Fantom 29Pro and finding the spacer (to convert to 80mm) in the parts bag.

I doubt you'll break the wheels unless you're doing some pretty aggressive riding. Give 'em a try before you decide what to do.

mtbr member
    Like fireflock said, my 29 pro came with the tora already set to 100mm. I have a 19" in matte slate if you'd like more pix. I also agree with the others who suggest you ride it with the stock wheelset until a problem surfaces. I've had mine almost a year, have around 300 miles on it and no probs with the wheels. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0