Motobecane Fantom 29 - 2010 vs 2011 (now "Trail")- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Motobecane Fantom 29 - 2010 vs 2011 (now "Trail")

Looks like the parts have changed. Anyone have an idea what the difference is? I'm still new to mountain biking, so I'm not familiar with the different components. Price is basically same, so does one have more "value" in components over the other? Seems like the Fantom 29 (2010) was conceived in 2008. Are the "2010" parts out-dated compared to the 2011?

Motobecane Fantom 29 (2010) - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...antom29_08.htm

Motobecane Fantom 29 Trail (2011) - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9_trail_xi.htm

Thanks,

Sven

mtbr member
    looks like the components on the 2011 are a bit cheaper than the 2010. Must be struggling to keep the bike below $600. I'd buy the 2010 for the brakes, drive-train and fork (though I'm not certain that the fork or brakes are inferior.. the drive train certainly is).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm new to mountain biking too. But I thought the 2010 model was a better value. Bought one for my wife and have not been disappointed at all.

DynoDon
    broz got it right, the 2010 looks better to me too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks guys for your advice. I'm considering purchasing the 2010 Fantom 29, however, I have never ridden a 29er yet. Based on my riding style (below), is this the best bike for a $600 budget?

10 years ago, I used to occasionally go mountain biking on trails and downhill riding with a Trek 8000 (which I no longer have). Now, I want to get back into mountain biking (live in Los Angeles), but I also plan on using the bike 50% of the time taking my 9 month-old son for bike rides on the beach bike path. I just purchased the iBert Front-Mount Seat, to mount on whichever bike I decide to move forward with. The seat is easily detached for mountain biking use.

Considering these factors, would a 29er fit my riding "style" plans, or is it too subjective of a subject matter? I know some people really like the 29ers, but is that only because it fits their particular riding style, or is the 29er all-around a better bike? It would probably be wise for me to test ride a 29er at a bike shop. Still interested in your opinions.

Thanks again.

Sven

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I bought the "red" 2010 Fantom 29er, last year for ~$600, with free shipping and no tax.

I'm a bit older now than when I was in my teens. I rode on may different bikes from a low slung chooper, ten speeds and to a few mountain bike. The technology change from the past 10 years is rather dramatic. Bikes like the 29er didn't exist in the MTB world, but did exist when you rode road bikes, since they are 700cm.

I researched to death what I wanted to buy. I read bike literature, brochures and reviews and many blogs to determine what is the best deal.

It all comes down to your bike experience. What you are planning to do with it and how much damage to your self you want to avoid as you get older.

I just wanted to be back on a bike, I loved the experience when the biked around New York City and doing the same in a less urban environment on Missouri is nice. I am not hopping on to unfamailar trails as yet, but riding the Katy for long durations is where I am at this point.

So, now that I know I just want to ride, I compared a old Raleigh bike I had hanging in the garage to a new bike. I had bad tires on it, basically falling off, wheels that we maybe still straight and the standard friction on wheel brakes. I was about to dump the lot and hang the frame up on a wall as a memento.

My nephew, on my wife's side needed transport to work, his car broke and he needed wheels. I paid $100 for tires, etc...to get it up and running. Bike rode nicley and it was now his. It was however different to me. The Bike didn't change, I did. It seemed smaller, harsher. 10 years ago, it was a nice bike, its what I could afford at the time, all Shimano Deore XT stuff. It didn't fit me any longer.

Now, I wanted a new bike to fit the new me.

Riding a 26er and 29er is a different experience. I visited many LBS, to get a feel for them. 29's are generally heavier when you compare like for like. Its all having to do with a difference in geometry and mass. Bigger wheel set, tires and the frame. If you have money to burn, you can probably get one light enough that they are the same. I am not in that $$$ league.

I compared many LBS bikes and internet bike sites. BikeDirect seemed pretty direct.
    Look for Bike type, choose a selection, read a review, etc. I was wishy washy about a 26er 600t, 700t...until the 29er screen popped up. Configurations were dramatic, it depended alot on you bike skill set to ride them and how much $$$ you want to boost your pride...with. I finally chose the fantom 29er, I liked the PRO better, but $$$ is tight and I had to stick to my budget. So I order a RED one, lotsa people like black, but I'm not a ninja riding my bike in the dark, black is chick....blah blah blah...enough.

I got the bike, unboxed it....hardess part was the disc brakes, they were new to me....but hey...I'm a bike guy...so I figured it out. I bought a helmet, lights, gloves,seat bag and a bike pump from wally world. Shoes,sock, grips, bottles, clothes, bike tools from the LBS.
    LBS guy was helpful and didn't care where my bike came from...only glad that I was riding again. Bought Schwalbe Big Apple Tires, tubes, pedals w/clip and drink carriers from Amazon. I now had all the stuff.

I rode in the subdivsion at first...tuning the bike. then the local park and then a local riding area...where I crashed at a interchange. After 30 miles of suffering, wife picked me up and I was tossing ibuprofen down. After a doctor visit...2 broken elbows and strained wrist.
    I sat out for 2months to heal. This happened in the spring. as summer came, I was on the bike again. This time I set mu sites on safer terrain....and road gently to the St Charles Frontier park...where I tested the bike on the paths.

Riding the bike on the road, it seems fast. It's heavier than a road bike, but it is nimble once you get it going. The tires are pumped near the maximum, they soak up alot of the bumps and ride nicely. On the Katy trail, I wondered about the sticks, rocks and debris, but it road over everything. I started traveling longer and longer distances. I ended up at Augusta on the last outing and didn't make the return trip. I suffered from heat stroke at that point, temps were in the 90's...and as a dumb schmuck...I didn't carry enough water to stay hydrated. I bought a Camel back from Dick's Sporting Goods...and started using that. No more issues. I recommend buying one from the get go, its all misery and cramps without enough water to drink.

Summary:

Its a good bike for the money, you as a individual need to customize it to your riding style and situations. The 29er can roll over stuff, I feel less bumps, on a aging body...thats nice.

I had to get a new seat, since the MTB is design for younger and smaller butts. Adding a gel pad on that thing, doesn't help. Getting a new stem and L bend grab bars this spring helps...due to a better reach and more comfortable perch for the hands...when you do distance riding.

I've dusted off the bike and will go out this weekend. Enjoy biking, its better than running.
    I get to carry my stuff and have a picnic, wherever I want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI_Driver
    I am not hopping on to unfamailar trails as yet, but riding the Katy for long durations is where I am at this point.
    Maybe I'll see you out there. I usually drop in at the Weldon Springs station and go to Augusta and back. I ride a dark gray motobecane.

Members who have read this thread: 0