Motobecane Fandom 29er vs Pro- Mtbr.com

May 2009

Motobecane Fandom 29er vs Pro

First of all, I've been searching all night and been finding a so many different opinions that it's hard to make my own. I apologize if this is a repetitive thread.

After considering getting into biking for several months, I decided to take the plunge today. I spent a fair amount of time looking at bikes from Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher, and Haro, and almost made up my mind on getting the Haro Escape S for a starter bike. I then talked to one of my friends, an avid rider who recommended that I look at the Motobecane 700HT in the same price range, because it has better components. While looking around on BikesDirect, I became sold on the Fantom 29er, and now I'm looking at the Pro and trying to decide if it's worth the extra. Yesterday, my budget for this was $0, now I'm trying to figure out what I need to spend. I also need to figure out which size will be best for me.

What I'm looking for is fitness, something that will get me out of the house (I work from home as a SysAdmin/ Programmer) and I want a bike that can deal with a lot of the backwoods trails in East Texas.

I'm 6'0, 190lbs and can get my inseam and any other measurements that would be helpful tomorrow... Typically, I buy 32 inseam pants if that helps.

I've also read a few things about the non-pro having a weak post, crank and handlebars. Are those issues the same on the Pro, or are they just being pointed out by people who are used to having much more expensive bikes and aren't likely to be noticed by a novice?

Thanks in advance.

May 2009
    After reading some bad things about the Juicy 3 brakes I'm think I've made my mind up to just go with the non-pro... and upgrade later. Does anybody agree with me? Is the fork going to make much difference?

mtbr member
    I think that the most important component on complete bike is the fork because paying retail to upgrade it is cost prohibitive. I'd try to buy one of the bikes with a Reba or a Revelation; but I don't know anything about the terrain where you are. Perhaps a single speed?

BTW, I'm 5'8 1/2" and have a fantom comp M (26er). It is highly unlikely that you are a Medium.

May 2009
    Thanks for the reply; I should also mention that I'm not completely sold on the 29".

The terrain here is really hill country and full of fallen debris (small tree limbs, etc.) I'm interested in the best bike I can get for say ~$600. I'm open to other recommendations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've been riding my Fantom Pro for about 1 1/2 years now. I think the Tora fork was worth the xtra $$, but I live in So. Cal. and the terrain can be pretty brutal. The Juicy 3 brakes are a pain in the ass. I thinking of switching to Avid BB7s. I hear Rockshox has corrected the leaking issues with the Dart3, but I have no experience with them. For $600 you probably can't go wrong with the Fantom. 29" wheels rock.

May 2009
    Thanks for the reply; I'll keep that in mind. I'm also looking at the 700DS now, any thoughts on it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It seems like most people upgrade the rear shock right off the bat. I personally think that full suspension is overkill unless you're into jumping and downhill, but thats just me. I like hardtails. If I was going to buy a full suspension bike, I wouldn't spend less than $1000. They're more complex so you want better quality.

mtbr member
    Here's some food for thought from a blog by a fantom29 owner. Just FYI. BTW I own a fantom29pro.

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the Fantom 29 and have been very satisfied. I have had the Fantom 29 for 15 months. I have documented my experience with it in a blog at http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

We are the same size and I use it for fitness also. I have had no problems with the crank or handlebars. I did change out the seat post because I needed a longer one for a better fit.

mtbr member
    DUH! Thanks Mike - I meant to post a link to your site with my post a couple days ago and forgot the link. There's some great practical info on there for fantom 29er owners or perspective owners

Members who have read this thread: 0