Motobecane CXX- Mtbr.com

Thread: Motobecane CXX

mtbr member

Motobecane CXX

I know it's not a MTB but with the tires I've put on it, it should be able to handle some light singletrack.

I opted for the rim brake version because I had a set of sweet wheels spaced at 130mm I was going to use but it turns out the frame is actually spaced at 135mm. Oh well, it's a steel frame so just clamp down the ends together for 5mm.

The stock bars, stem, post, saddle, tires and wheels were kind of heavy and generic. I threw them into he parts bin and replaced them with stuff I had in the parts bin.

I've ordered mountain and road bikes from them before and while they came mostly assembled, the only thing that was installed was the drivetrain and headset. Needed to wrap the bars and install the brakes. No big deal but I could see how that would be intimidating to someone who has never done that before. The headtube is really, really short. The steerer fork was cut really short as well. Thankfully I had a stem that has a high rise to help with the fit. I ordered a size smaller as I have found I feel more comfortable on slightly smaller bikes.

Motobecane CXX-2015-04-29.jpg

SRAM Apex 2x10 (Stock)
    Tektro Oryx Cantilever brakes (Stock for now)
    Chris King R45 laced to Mavic Open Pro rims with Soma Cazaderos (measures 40mm on these rims, max tire size seems to be a true 42mm)
    Ritchey WCS post (from my BD ti bike )
    Random Bontrager stem from my parts bin
    red SRAM cork bar tape
    Shimano M540 pedals
    Enve titanium skewers I had laying around (LOL)
    Brooks B17N saddle

I do have some mini V brakes coming in which I will probably swap out to. The cantis seem kind of weak and hard to adjust. No problems on another MTB I have but whatever.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    So you bought a frame/fork with a groupset? Still probably cheaper than anything else.

I'm really surprised the bars weren't taped. I guess at this level of components, they assume you either know what you're doing or you'll take it to a LBS for assembly. Everybody's fit is different, so you'd probably end up adjusting the hood position and bar angle.

Did you try to use any spacers on the axle to get them to 135mm, or is the axle too short for that? Since they're rim brakes, a couple washers on each side will get the proper axle width without needing to bend anything, and the brakes/rim offset will line up fine. Shouldn't matter much on a steel frame, but I'm always leery of riding a bike with tension on the stays. Seems a litle more flexy, but it could also be because I weigh a lot.

mtbr member
    Yup, I planning on trying to sell the wheels/tires for a few bucks to offset the cost of the bike. I guess I could try and sell the takeoffs as new too but they'll probably end up going into the parts bin.

Yeah, the axle isn't wide enough to use washers/spacers. I did a 50 mile mixed surface ride (paved, gravel, dirt, MTB singletrack) with 4275 ft of climbing on that setup and everything seemed fine. No fork shudder, no weird frame vibrations.

The only thing I didn't like was how short the fork steerer tube was cut.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Updated the saddle to match the bartape. LOL.

Motobecane CXX-2015-05-15.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I like the red bar tape! I will do the same with my white CCX.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I swapped out the brakes on my CCX for Avid Ultimate Shorty. Those brakes live up to their reputation.