mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Motobecane/Clyde Question?

I have been looking at building a steel 29'er for a couple of months, but don't like the fact that to have decent components I'll have to spend a ton. So I'm looking at the motobecane bikes. I am 5'11 and weigh 285 w/ gear. Will these bikes hold up? I have saved up about $1,300.00 to spend, so allot of the moto bikes are in my range. I have been looing at the xtr 26's and the 29'ers on bikes direct. I am interested in hearing any opinions on which one I should get. I have only ridden one other 29'er(specialized rockhopper) and I liked it. The problem was the fork.(dart). Which fork on the moto's is better for a clyde? Should I get a 29 or 26? I do not know the progression of rock shox forks. As in worst to best. Any help would be apprciated.

bighat

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If I were you I would post this question in the Clyde forum. I can't really tell you what type of components you would need at that weight. I think you would want to shy away from cross country forks(Dart, Tora, and SID), I have found most cross country forks flex a bit under my 190 lbs. The Fantom Elite and Pro both come with all mountain forks, so they might be good choices. All the 29ers on the bikesdirect site have cross country forks so I don't know if any of those would be good for you, but the prices are good so you could always get one and put a different fork on it.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    285 isn't real, real heavy for a mountain bike.They are built to take it.Unless you are a real extreme type rider.Call the fork manufacturer & ask about the correct spring rate or air adjustment for the fork before you buy.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    285 isn't real, real heavy for a mountain bike.
    Defensive linemen on NFL teams are about 285lbs. IMO, 285 is pretty heavy for a mountain biker. Head over to the Clydesdales forum for answers.

Members who have read this thread: 0