Motobecane better than Giant- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Motobecane better than Giant

Call me insane, but I finally got a replacement frame from Giant. I cracked my NRS and got an Anthem as replacement. I bought a fantom elite DS as a "bridge" bike while the replacement was on its way. Anyway, after many months of riding my moto, I think Im going to sell the Giant and keep "bridge".

Moto is heavier but I definitely like it more than the NRS. Also the Moto has adjustable suspension travel for the summer days of going to the ski resorts and running DH/XC. The anthem is better foundation for the lightest XC race bike, but I dont race anymore...

Does anyone have a similar story? Funny Im selling a more expensive $$ for the performance of the Moto. To think the frame is 1/3 the price of the giant. That speaks volumes how well these frames perform.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think you mean that you have one Motobecane bike that you like better than your two Giant bikes.

That doesn't mean that Motobecane is better than Giant.

I'm glad you found a bike that you really like.

FWIW, I own 2 Moto's and have never owned a Giant.

Bushwacker
    If you, tj90, says it's better, it's better. Only you would know if it's better for you. Ride on!
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry I should have checked grammar and proof read the post.

What I meant to say is that I would have never predicted to be in this situation of selling the Giant for the motobecane. I would have guessed that Id want t shed the moto as soon as I could.

I did not mean to imply that moto is better than giant as absolute fact. Like stark indicated, I like it better than the NRS for me. My original plan was to use the Moto as a bike that would keep me riding while I was dealing with giant on the warranty on the NRS. By the time the Anthem replacement came in, Ive decided to stick with the Moto.

To be fair, I have not ridden the Anthem, but the thought of building it up does not sound appealing.

Also, Giant has an excellent warranty claims department!

My question to you all was how many started riding a Moto as a temporary solution only to find out that they liked enough to keep?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I never really bought mine as an 'in between' bike, but I bought mine because it was the only thing I could afford at the time and i wanted to start mountain biking asap.

I originally was set on a Trek 6000 series, but I bought a Fantom trail HT, and looking back, I'm really glad I did. The more i saw it, the more I liked it and the Trek didn't seem so great after all. The Trek would have been $300 more for the same spec. I love this bike and have gotten upgrade-itis and cant stop riding it and buying parts

And this frame takes a beating!

Apr 2009
    Wooohoooo!! Glad to hear the love for Motobecane. My new titanium Motobecane is coming in the mail today!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmonkey
    Wooohoooo!! Glad to hear the love for Motobecane. My new titanium Motobecane is coming in the mail today!!!!
    You are soooo lucky! Those that preordered the Ti 29 have to wait until July :-(

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow, thats irony for you. I am in the process of selling my 09 Fantom Team ds for a Giant. But unlike you the giant I have now is the Trance x which will is 127mm so it is closer to the bike it is replacing. Just to be clear this is not meant a reflection on the quality of the bike itself just a personal preference. But there is no way I will get rid of my Fly ti thats for sure.

Jul 2008
    I own a moto 700 DS, and also a Giant X4, I love both of my bikes, but I must say that my X4 is a much better bike for my taste. But I will still rotate riding both of them, because the moto 700 DS is also an awesome, bike, just a tad bit heavier!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    As far as frames go id say that its hit or miss. The giant may be lighter but as everyone has said its a personal pref. I have personally owned two giants (paid about 500 for each) i paid 600 for the 700ds and to me its a huge upgrade. for the money, moto just has better components. the giant with the comprable components is 300$ more.

Oct 2005
    It's really not that hard to claim one frame developed a bit later and with newer shock tech is better than the NRS, which was developed in 1999/2000, and had a specific purpose in the actual operation of the rear suspension at a time when big leaps were being made in making designs have inherent behavior (in this case, in response to the resonance in pedaling cadence) to overcome previously poorly controlled traits.

There's also a reason why the NRS is no longer made, in favor of a suspension design that doesn't use rider input to purposely top it out to eliminate bobbing.

I can compare similar classed cars from now and nine years ago, and it will end up with much the same effect.

Compare the Moto (honestly) to their Maestro-equipped bikes, or even their Yukon and then we'll have a fair comparison.

Members who have read this thread: 0