Motobecane 700DS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Motobecane 700DS

Hi all I need an honest opinion...im a beginner and want to do some trail/mountain terrain riding....im looking for a decent bike to start with im looking at Motobecane 700DS full suspension vs. gary fisher wahoo diss vs. specialized hardrock sport disc vs cannondale f7 disc.........i really like the 700DS but whats your all honest opinion???? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    nobody?? please

Bushwacker
    Pretty tough to make a recomendation without knowing the type of terrain you'll ride. BIg climbs and rock gardens or flat trails with minor roots etc. I looked at the Fisher Wahoo. 8 speed with pretty basic components. Not familiar with the other two.
    I ride the 700 DS. I bought mine for $450 and upgraded to a better fork, shock, cassette and some miscl items. I was able to do it all for under $800. I don't want to drop anymore than that in a bike and I like the simplicity of a single pivot. That given, the 700 is more expensive now and to bring it up to a decent riding bike moves it into the price range of other off the shelf multi link suspension bikes. Figure you'll want to upgrade the fork and shock of most any duel suspension bike that lists under $1k within a couple years. Most all of them come with a Dart fork and no name basic coil shock or something similar. If you're doing any serious climbs, look for a 9 speed and a 34 cassette no matter what bike you end up getting.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

Motobey
    Well said, I have a 400ds with upgrades, and love it, I ride with a group of guys mostly logs, and I seen trek frames broken, Gary Fisher, Jamis frames broken and these are all high end. My moto keeps going even when I get to beat up to finish the ride as it happens in occasions.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I live in el paso Texas...the terrain here is really rocky...mountainy lots of desert uphill ...so I want a good quality bike that will last is light weight they best thing i can get for under 700 preferably....

mtbr member
    You may be better off looking at the windsor cliff pro 29er for that money. Decent spec's and the 29er will help take the edge off without going full suspension. Light weight, full suspension, and affordable don't usually work well together. If you aren't big on a 29er and new to mountain biking, I'd recommend spending your money on a better spec'd hardtail. Then when you really get into it and want full suspension, you will have a better idea of what your looking at. Good Luck!
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just received my 2010 motobecane yesterday. I'm just getting back into biking again (used to race bmx) and it seems like a solid bike. I haven't had a chance to take it to the jumps yet, or take a long ride, but I like it. I think the price is fair for what comes on the bike. I like the full suspension, and it comes with lock outs so that is another plus. I plan on upgrading a few things to try and make it lighter, but all in all this bike is pretty sweet.

Members who have read this thread: 0