Motobecane 529HT+ New guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Motobecane 529HT+ New guy

Been looking to get into MTB as a way to get fit. My sister and her husband recently got into it, and decided to join them for a ride I rented a pretty nice Trek bike and tried it. I enjoyed it a lot but found myself not enjoying it as much as could for various reason (not well equipped, bike was too big (hit my crotch every time I dropped forward and hdd to tippy toe), and other reasons (TX heat is one).

I've been looking for a used MTB deal for months now and have found it hard to find something good that isn't going to be a money pit. The good well maintained bikes usually sell quickly, the majority are with used prices but are not well maintained (chains/cassettes/frame look dirty, etc)

I had a $400 budget, and couldn't find anything at local bike stores but a GT Backwoods 2015 Sports that seemed okay but felt awkward to ride.
    Everyone other LBS was pushing towards $600-$700+ MTB bikes. (that's literally their bare minimum). One did mention a lot of LBS's dropped the lower end line ups due to larger corporations buying out Bike manufacturers recently and them changing their business models towards big box).

I am not going on any technically demanding trails, so I figured it'd be good for a first bike. The fact it's got decent entry level components is a bonus compared to everything else I saw in LBS.

In any case buddy of mine used to be a bike tech at Performance Bike, so I may ask him to help me build it.

mtbr member
    I just bought this bike. Been a road biker for a few years riding a Raleigh Cadent. Now I've moved to the country and my road bike has been hanging. I will receive my Moto Wed but haven't seen anyone post any reviews of it. Looks like a really solid bike for the money. Looks like one of the only models I saw with the cable routing under the top tube as well. Look forward to running it through the paces in a few days. I will post a few pics when I get it if you like and give you my first impression if you want.

mtbr member

Great bike for the money!

OK so received the bike yesterday and assembled it last night. Great for the money and love the bike. Keep in mind you will probably want to upgrade a few things rite out of the box. Seat wasn't for me so swapped mine in, tires are garbage but will get you by till you can get anouther set, and pedals are very cheap again will get you by till you decide if you want a nice platform or clipless. Besides that I'm more then happy with it. The front shock is mislabeled on there site its a 2014 shock with 100mm travel and in my first ride was more then good. I'm 210 lbs and 6' 2" and the shock on the second setting gave 25% sag and only went to 55% over the little ride I just did. I bought the 19" and it fits me perfect. Though it is a big bike! My first 29er. If your smaller under maybe 5' 10" you may want to look at the 650b offerings. Just my little review of it hope it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane 529HT+ New guy-img_20140918_131236.jpg  

mtbr member
    I got the 13 1/2" frame since Im 5'6". I love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    This is a very good bike and with a new stem, bars, tires and fork (which can all be done reasonably with some research) it is a great bike! Very, very strong value!