Motobecane 2x10 launch questions- Mtbr.com
    Trail Ninja

Motobecane 2x10 launch questions

I see that Bikesdirect has a number of Motobecane 10 speed bikes available for pre-order. There's a few 2x10 bikes which are identical to the 3x10 ones except for crank and front shifter.

Looking closer, at the pictures, I noticed that the 2x10 cranks have an odd spider that looks to be 3 bolt--FSA's proprietary BCD 86 ("386" tech). Considering it comes as 28/42 stock (I'd prefer 26/39), it's going to be a pain to find affordable compatible rings ($50 per ring). The SRAM set has a 80/120 BCD 4 bolt spider, as seen here, so it probably has similar issues, but FSA takes a simpler approach. Also, a large majority of their racers prefer the 39T big ring, with JHK making a point that it mates better with a 29er. I wonder what their other options were. I see that the FSA comes in 40T. I also notice that the X0 bike comes with a X9 cassette (1070 instead of 1090) that's 12-36 instead of 11-36.

Was there anyone else looking forward to this launch that's also somewhat disappointed or confused? I was really looking forward to seeing if they would be on top of the new technology, but it seems they made a few questionable decisions.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 08-28-2010 at 09:56 PM.

S*it Happens!
    There’s a post that was made about the new Motobecanes a week and a half ago… so far, the only one confused or disappointed, seems to be you.

I personally feel their new bikes are awesome, and the price for what you get, that includes a titanium frame. No matter what , it’s still a steal of a deal. If you want that gearing and it cost you 50 bucks more…you’re still coming out ahead.

Unless there is another titanium bike with the same or better components for $1999?
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Trail Ninja
    True. Good point.

I just checked that other thread now.

I guess I'm trying to figure out where they skimped to get the price that low. You seem to be highly defensive, which still makes me kind of suspicious. I guess from your point of view, I'd be the one missing out if I were to decide against a Motobecane on small details like this. It's more like I don't have much of a clue about 2x10 except that the 42x big tooth might be too big, but I'd still ride it, since I'm aching to get a lightweight geared bike that can handle bigger mountain climbs (lol @ climbing 1600 ft on a single speed).

Honestly, my only considerations for a new bike are the Fly X0 Pro, the Fly Team 29 Ti X0, custom SC Blur LT2 (new alu frame $1000+30 S/H), and any other value that comes up. I saw a Focus Black Forest with a F100RL for close to $1000 on clearance at o2gearshop (sold out now), but the Fly Pro seemed to be a better deal still.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    True. Good point.

I just checked that other thread now.

I guess I'm trying to figure out where they skimped to get the price that low. You seem to be highly defensive, which still makes me kind of suspicious. I guess from your point of view, I'd be the one missing out if I were to decide against a Motobecane on small details like this.l.
    Well, I’m always kind of defensive…I started this Sub- forum, and I’ve been on MTBr for a bit of time and read all kinds of crazy stuff. I’m pretty transparent, everyone knows who Moto Rider is. My home forum, and I had a link to my Facebook page in my signature.

I can’t think of anyone who has tried to do more on MTBr, for the benefit of everyone, then I. Examples, are posted in plenty of threads.

As for the bike, I’m just pointing out the obvious. The bike is an awesome deal and no matter how you cut it. Going by the price and the fact there is no shipping charge or no taxes…unless you live in Texas.

Anything you feel you’d like to change can still be done at a minimal overall cost. I just like to look at the glass half full.

In all fairness, I’m not the end all, be all…I am just a guy. There are plenty of individuals that have contributed much around here and on MTBr in general.

Some of these individuals have post counts in the thousands and can make a post rich in detail. Something I can’t do…as I’m more of a nubie. If someone needs help or info, I need to look it up, then make my post. But, it's all good...
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 08-29-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Fairness
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So, I wasn’t going to write, but I’m definitely in the disappointed camp along with Varaxis. I was planning to buy my first moto as soon as the 2x10 XO came out for preorder, but when I saw the specs, I was pretty unexcited. From my perspective, the point of XO 2X10 is the drivetrain- the intelligent gear ratios, the crisp shifts, and the sick cassette. XO is XX tech in a much cheaper, more durable package, for an insignificant weight penalty.

So yes, a moto ti 29er + XO 2X10 was a no-brainer…. If only there were more XO on the bike. It has XO derailleurs and shifters- that’s it. And honestly I probably wouldn’t mind or notice if those were X9.

I know its impossible for motobecane to spec this bike with XO drivetrain for under 2,000, but with this release, I was hoping that they would try out a more reasonable price point (say, 2,399-2,499) for a more complete XO bike (One with an XO crankset and cassette, and perhaps brakes. And why not a maxle fork?) If that bike were on offer today, I’d gladly slap down 2,500 for it.

I can compromise on the brakes. I just wasn’t planning on replacing the drivetrain, in addition to the wheels, tires, seat, bars, and grips.

I understand that Moto is trying to spec the best bike possible for under 2,000. And I’m sure they’ve done it. Its pretty great bike, its just not an XO bike. I’ve asked customer service if a more complete XO bike with a 2000+ price point is on the horizon, but as of now, it is not.

PS: I’d get the frame + fork and build from there but they are sold out in the 17.5. And if you’re building from scratch, why no Reba with maxle? Does anyone else feel the same?

Trail Ninja
    Might as well ask for replaceable drop outs with maxle and sliding (singlespeed) options, BB30, tapered head tube, and wider rear tire clearance while your at it. It's a lightweight XC bike and I don't think it needs all that, but those may be significant improvements still. If I were interested in the new FS model, I'd be looking for features like the those that increase stiffness, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on it here.

Only the longer travel Reba 29 trail version has a maxle option. While you may be hitting rock gardens, I don't think you'll be hitting rock gardens so fast and hard as a DHer would that you need the tracking and stiffness of the maxle unless you weigh quite a bit. Though, I guess if you did have the beefier stuff, you just might. Hmm, I see your point now.

Well, I think I'm going for the 2x10 Ti 29er X0 offer. I was thinking about 3x10 instead or maybe a lower end bike to hold me over until they have a killer deal like the Fly Team (26), but I think it's better in the long run to go 2x10 with 29er wheels. I think it's an unbelievable package for 2 grand if I just think of each X0 part as being XTR--might not have the same legendary reputation, but is supposed to be the equivalent. I'll think of the cranks and cassette as being XT and be happy/content. Add pedals and customize the touch points and fit and change tires to your type and terrain if needed and it should be all set.

I actually like really strong brakes, since I like to go "let go" on descents and need stopping power to slow me down when I find I'm going a bit too fast. I wouldn't dare to do that if I didn't have confidence in my brakes. I assume you're saying you were considering others, but they aren't much better to be considered an upgrade? I'm not sure what's considered better, though the Formula F1 is getting a lot of attention I noticed.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on the Truativ X0 crankset. Comparing claimed weights with BB and street price: Afterburner 776g crank+120g BB (896g) $220 vs 788g for the X0 crank+GXP BB $400 vs SL-K (2x9) 746g $340, K-Force 739g $623+whatever the difference between 7000 BB and 9200 BB is. I'm not much of a weight weenie though.

Do you think that the bike will to see "Free Upgrade to" the cranks maybe after the fact? I'm not sure how BD works, but I see that on some of their bikes. Ex.this bike was upgraded to SID fork and K-Force cranks - 26" wheeled Fly Team. I think it works like that only if the part gets discontinued like when Avid went from Juicy/Ultimate to Elixir and I guess some Skye saddle models were discontinued as well; I never heard of Skye, but hear they're really lightweight.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 08-29-2010 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah you're right. I definitely didnt know what I was talking about re: maxles on a 100 mm fork. Its just that ive been riding salsa ti skewers on a marzocchi bomber for years, and to me they feel like they have the lateral stiffness of a warm twizzler. On speccing the new bike i may be overreacting a bit.

So I laid my money down for the X0 2X10 preorder + a Stan's 355/American Classic wheelset + the XX cranks. This is going to be a sweet bike. If i can sell the stripped parts + my old Kostrikin, I should be back at a little more than the 2 grand final price..

BD does swap/upgrade parts from time to time, but i dunno if its more or less likely they'll do it on a preorder. If they do swap the crank/bb or offer an XO upgrade, I'll send my XX cranks back!

Trail Ninja
    I haven't put in my order yet. I'm only thinking about adding new brand new pedals, doing a Stan's mod or ghetto tubeless mod to the current wheels, changing out the grips, and experimenting with the stem length and maybe getting wider handlebars (current ones are 600mm 5deg bend 150g 31.8mm). I wonder how cheap I can find these Salsa 660mm Pro Moto Flat Carbon for (in 11d pref). 23.5" to 26" should give a lot of room and not be super wide like the DH 711/745/762mm (28"/29 1/3"/30") ones that weight twice as much that I previously tried out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm considering going full suspension with the new 2x10 drivetrain. Wish there was a FS model to try out around here, as someone said the feel of a FS is much more in the air than a HT.

Trail Ninja
    I'd do some research on 2x10 on certain FS designs if I were you. See if other reputable 4" travel 4B linkages are going 2x10, such as the Ellsworth Truth. It was likely originally designed to have the least amount of pedal bob in the middle ring. I'm not sure what changes when there's no middle ring anymore. I don't know how much R&D and testing Motobecane does, but I'm sure they just don't take it from the drawing board, to factory, to the warehouse/store, to the customer without any testing at all. I'd assume nothing major to worry about.

I'd go FS if I weren't my style to "take the rough stuff like a man". Maybe I'm masochist, but I like to ride the gnarliest of trails on a hard tail. I know all the benefits of FS and see that it's the future, but I think it's just cheating (just like how platform pedal users think clipless is cheating and unnatural LOL). HTs are just more affordable and for the most part lighter. I like to aim for the rough stuff unless I really want to go fast and cover a lot of distance. I like the feeling of the bumps. FS is the way to go if you want to make rough stuff smoother; in my eyes, that's like making all trails like a ride on smooth singletrack/fireroad. Though, I figure for others, it's an enabler. It gives confidence to ride gnarly stuff rather than to go around or walk over. I'd think FS is like a roller coaster ride (I even notice it in their lingo: ex. railing the corners) and a HT is like sitting in a giant tire rolling and bouncing down a hill, holding on out of fear, but crawling out at the bottom all beat up but amazed that you survived that wild experience. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but that's the kind of feeling I like.

The reason I'm buying it because, currently, I've been doing a lot of climbing on a 32x18 geared singlespeed and tiring out well before reaching the top of a 1600' mtn--WTF am I thinking, I know. I'm proud of my progres, I just wanted to do less walking and more pedaling. I had a race worth Schwinn Homegrown Factory XT before, but it didn't have disc brake tabs and the snow had just melted and I felt the brakes weren't enough for the descent. I sold it and I'm left with only my singlespeed which originally converted to be a commuter. I've been wanting another bike for a while, but waited this long to see Motobecane's 2011 stuff. That's why I'm going for the Ti 29er. Hopefully it lasts to be 12+ years old and still being ridden like my Schwinn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good points Varaxis. I test rode a specialized carbon 29er and a carbon epic. The 29er didn't feel different enough from my rockhopper to justify buying one really, even though I'm 6'4 and supposedly perfect for 29ers. It did seem to roll onto/over things a bit better. The full suspension Epic was fundamentally different in every way though. Of course the Fantom is probably not quite as nice as an Epic, but for $2k it's still cheaper than a used Epic for similar specs and more weight. I felt like I had so much more speed going into corners on the FS bike versus the 29er.

Trail Ninja
    Yea. It's a misconception that 29" wheels and steel/titanium deliver a "smooth" ride. It's a bit of extra traction, less finesse required for getting your wheel to roll over taller obstacles and maintain momentum, and a bit of clearance for your rear dérailleur from stuff sticking up from the ground (usually isn't what hits it, but I'm just paranoid since I've busted so many hangers, one less thing to worry about).

A FS totally beats 26/29 HTs for comfort, traction, and control. You'll get faster lap times with a FS if the course has a few chunky sections compared to a HT of similar weight, 26 or 29. Also, consider yourself better prepared for more terrain. Considering the Fantom Team is within a pound of the Fly Team 29 Ti, the edge should go to the Fantom Team. I'm not so sure of the results if you pit it up against the sub 20lb Fly Team Ti (26"), which may beat it depending on terrain and length of race.

XC FS bikes were showing up a lot on the podium a few years back and now it's back and forth depending on the track with super light 29ers also popping up on the podium. They all have their niche I suppose. The racers play a role, but if you put them on a bike they're not comfortable with, the results may show as much. Leadville 100, something people call a relatively nontechnical course (compared to other similar races), saw a lot of XC FS among the fastest times.

On a trail I'm not so familiar with, I'm 100% certain I'd go much much faster with a FS, but I sort of like my style of riding of slowing enough to study all the terrain features and finding a decent line through and get a feeling of how I roll through to better plan for the next time through. With FS, you probably don't have to think more than twice about some section unless you fumble or go through awkwardly enough; they just become "fun sections". If you're riding with a group and they warn you about a drop coming up, you'll likely think, sweet, a fun drop coming up, while others may be tensed up about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I haven't managed to break any hangers yet, but I bash my pedals on stuff all the time. I'm still learning to keep an eye out for pedal-smashers, a few have hit me hard. Good info once again, thanks! I think I'd be more confident tackling unfamiliar trails on a FS for sure, especially once I knew how the bike handled.

Members who have read this thread: 0