Motobecane 29er Hal Boost- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Motobecane 29er Hal Boost

I have been looking at 29" Motobecanes for months comparing groupos and specs with other bikes. I have finally decided that this one is the best bang for the buck option:
    Save Up to 60% Off LTD QTYS of these 6 Inch / 150mm Travel Full Suspension 29er / Boost Mountain bikes 2019 Motobecane HAL Boost EAGLE LTD SRAM Eagle 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM EAGLE 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox
    I have looked up all the parts individually if you were to buy them separately and they easily total $2476. That's everything but the frame. So, for $1999.95 you get $2476 in components and a free frame. I'm told it weighs 30ish pounds by customer service. Not light but on par with many 150mm travel Enduro oriented bikes. There are some lighter 29er options available but they come with XC type tires and more acute geometry frames. This model strikes me as a better choice as an all around trail-bike. Thoughts, comments?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    It's spec'd nice. I don't own a Motobecane, but I've purchased a bike from bikes direct previously and had a good experience.

I currently ride a Diamondback which has transitioned to a direct-to-consumer model. You can easily get a corporate discount from them (just google "diamondback corporate discount") that often results in some significant savings. You can get other discounts if you have an Expert Voice account too. That said, the Motobecane you're looking at is hard to beat.

On the Diamondback website, the closest thing pricewise is the Release 2 which with a corporate discount is $2159.

Both bikes have frames built by Kinesis. One important difference is the Diamondback has their Level Link suspension which I personally think is superior to what the Motobecane is sporting. Not that both aren't good designs--I just think the Level Link is superior as it pertains to pedal-bob. Also, I have the exact wheelset that's on the Motobecane mounted on my DB. I ordered it from Bikes Direct's Amazon store. Those WTB wheels are good, but I personally think that Diamondback's Blanchard wheels are a significant step-up. I also have the Pike fork like the Motobecane--it's solid.

FWIW, DB bikes really do come ready-to-ride. They give you a shock pump, actually decent flat pedals (Race Face Chester clones), a mud-guard, tubeless valve-stems, a basic torque wrench, spare derailleur hanger, lock-on grips, pre-taped wheels, etc. Just throwing that out there because you'd be getting at least $150 in (good quality) stuff that you won't get with the Motobecane.

I guess the other thing to consider is after-the-sale support. I never had to request service for my Bikes Direct bike, but I have from Diamondback and FWIW, they run a real professional operation.

So all that said, I still am really impressed by the higher end Motobecanes and would buy one myself under the right circumstances. But when I went to buy my most recent bike, I ended up leaning towards Diamondback because it was priced pretty much in line with the Motobecanes (a bit better on my 27.5+ FS bike). The Motobecane you're looking at will be a great bike though if you go for it.

mtbr member
    So, I just looked at the Diamond Back line up and the 29ers are around $2600 & up and come with shimano 11 speed not Sram 12 and have cheaper brakes. The Release2 is a 27.5er and is currently $2500 with shimano11 speeds, 7000 series brakes(not8000), & 130mm travel(not 150mm) I DO appreciate the info you posted. I don't see any big brands that are apples to apples comparing components with the Motobecanes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have been looking at them for the last two months. I think this is a great option for those that don't need a bike store markup. Its funny, I have read through multiple forums and everyone complains that Motobecane frames are junk, but I have found two pictures in the 500 threads on different sites of broken frames, and they were both road bikes. I have read reviews of Kenisis frames (which this is), and the biggest complaint is that they have 3-4 yr old geometry. Marketing is expensive, reasearch and development really isn't, but if the most modern (which I guess is better?) geometry is what you need to have fun, you're probably taking biking far too serious.

Aluminium frames have a 10 year warranty if the bike is unaltered (don't ebay take off parts). The carbon fiber frames have a 100yr warranty, but is pro-rated.

While comparing the Hal boost bike to other similarly priced bikes, Commecal, UT, and Diamonback, they do not offer the quality of components and cost a bit more. You did nail it. The components are more expensive than the actual bike, so if the frame isn't what you expect, buy a new frame.

Do not expect the bike to hold value though. While looking at used bikes, brand named always holds at least 70% of the value if lightly used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoog View Post
    I have been looking at them for the last two months. I think this is a great option for those that don't need a bike store markup. Its funny, I have read through multiple forums and everyone complains that Motobecane frames are junk, but I have found two pictures in the 500 threads on different sites of broken frames, and they were both road bikes. I have read reviews of Kenisis frames (which this is), and the biggest complaint is that they have 3-4 yr old geometry. Marketing is expensive, reasearch and development really isn't, but if the most modern (which I guess is better?) geometry is what you need to have fun, you're probably taking biking far too serious.

Aluminium frames have a 10 year warranty if the bike is unaltered (don't ebay take off parts). The carbon fiber frames have a 100yr warranty, but is pro-rated.

While comparing the Hal boost bike to other similarly priced bikes, Commecal, UT, and Diamonback, they do not offer the quality of components and cost a bit more. You did nail it. The components are more expensive than the actual bike, so if the frame isn't what you expect, buy a new frame.

Do not expect the bike to hold value though. While looking at used bikes, brand named always holds at least 70% of the value if lightly used.
    Thanks for the reply. I did some investigating of the geometry and compared it to Canyon's Spectral and Guerrilla Gravity's The Smash just for comparison sake. The Halboost is nearly identical to the Spectral and close to The Smash.
    Head tube angle:
    Motobecane Halboost= 67*
    Canyon Spectral= 66*
    GG The Smash= 64.6*
    Seat tube angle:
    Halboost = 74.3*
    Spectral = 74.5
    GG Smash= 76.7*effective/73*actual
    Chainstay Length:
    Halboost= 448.5mm
    Spectral= 430mm
    GG Smash= 434mm
    Wheelbase (large):
    Halboost= 1193
    Spectral= 1204
    GG Smash= 1240

As for the components; the Motobecane had better quality drivetrain (Sram GX vs NX), better suspension, and better quality brakes than most other brands entry level bikes at near the same price range.(most brand names were around $2500+)
    I agree that you can't buy the component parts separately as cheaply and you could always buy a frameset afterwards if you hated it. I think that for $1999.95 you get $2476.00 worth of component parts and a free frame- how could you not like it?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ordered one last night. If this bike was branded "Kenisis", I am sure there would be a lot more talk about it. I plan on purchasing an extra derailleur hanger and full set of pivot bolts (I have no idea how long they plan to produce this frame, and a frame that cannot be maintained is worthless).

My other hobby is watch collecting, and Motobecane is the Invicta of bikes. Invicta does not make a bad watch, but the marketing gimmick of inflated MSRP and less than ideal customer service is what turns people off. Invicta uses the same automatic movements found in much more popular watches, and they simply use their own case and dials.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting to catch up on some bills then I plan on doing the same; order a spare derailleur hanger and pivot bearings. Please post up some pics and/or a review when you get it! Congrats!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am loving mine so far.

Made a few changes. Put on a 40mm stem, 785mm bars and had a set of ARC 35mm wheels built in 27.5 ( I ordered the 29 version of the bike) shod with a 2.6 WT DHF and DHR II.

Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-img_4282.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto65 View Post
    I am loving mine so far.

Made a few changes. Put on a 40mm stem, 785mm bars and had a set of ARC 35mm wheels built in 27.5 ( I ordered the 29 version of the bike) shod with a 2.6 WT DHF and DHR II.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4282.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	488.7 KB 
ID:	1247438
    Have you weighed it yet? how's the bottom bracket to ground clearance in 29 vs 27.5? Being able to run 27.5+ on it is a great option- It really looks great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Wacky thread. I'm the only poster with more than 30 posts.

Either super newbies check in immediately before/after snagging a great deal then abandon the forum.

OR, bikes direct employees create burner accounts to create some small degree of hype which would otherwise be nonexistent on mtbr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westernmtb View Post
    Wacky thread. I'm the only poster with more than 30 posts.

Either super newbies check in immediately before/after snagging a great deal then abandon the forum.

OR, bikes direct employees create burner accounts to create some small degree of hype which would otherwise be nonexistent on mtbr.
    Put away the tin foil hat- I'm a real person, lol! Why is it so difficult to believe people are interested in bikes at a good price? BTW, I could care less about rep points; I do my homework, look up prices and reviews on components, compare the same, and draw my own educated conclusions.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I just ordered it! 29er in lava red.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'll pipe in. I have bought a Framed bike and a Motobecane. The Framed bike did not come as specified, and although the changes were small, they did have an impact on my use and cost me more money to fix. The Motobecane bike has been pretty much perfect. There is no apples to apples with any comparison, so it is always hard to judge what is really a value. I have a friend that has every little adjustment and repair done at the LBS, and he is happy with that. He shouldn't buy a bike online because he needs the full support of the LBS and the locally administered warranty. I have another friend that is very driven by money, and he isn't happy if he hasn't gotten the best deal. He typically buys used because it can in some cases be an even better value than online. Another guy I know gets a lot of joy out of riding the latest and greatest, so he buys and sells nearly every year. The depreciation matters in that case. I like to ride things until they are very worn out. Up front costs don't matter much when you can get a decade out of a bike. There is no real way to know what is the best deal or what has the least risk. It depends on what drives you.

My Motobecane came with an extra derailleur hanger, maybe you won't need to buy one. Two long time friends own them and have had no complaints either. Congratulations on the new bike. It will turn out just fine, and your risk analysis with the component cost make sense in your case.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I don't have any concerns about frame quality or components for that matter. My main concern is with frame geometry. There are no other bikes out there with 45 cm chain stays and most mediums from other brands have a longer reach as well. You can't test ride these bikes and detailed user reviews are non existent.

mtbr member
    I don't have any concerns about frame quality or components for that matter. My main concern is with frame geometry. There are no other bikes out there with 45 cm chain stays and most mediums from other brands have a longer reach as well. You can't test ride these bikes and detailed user reviews are non existent.
    (45cm = 17.71 in.) Some other bike's chainstay lengths in L frame size- (The HalBoost has 448.5mm/17.65in.) For comparison: the Pivot Trail429 is 16.90in, GG The Smash is 17.1, Y T Capra is 435mm/17.12in. Yeti SB150 is 433mm/17.02in.
    So most "Boutique Bike" brands 29ers are all around 17 inches, like the halboost, which is only around a 1/2 inch longer. I did my homework and the geometry on this bike is on par with ones costing twice as much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by metalskool View Post
    Put away the tin foil hat- I'm a real person, lol! Why is it so difficult to believe people are interested in bikes at a good price? BTW, I could care less about rep points; I do my homework, look up prices and reviews on components, compare the same, and draw my own educated conclusions.
    That is some weak trolling.

(45cm = 17.71 in.) Some other bike's chainstay lengths in L frame size- (The HalBoost has 448.5mm/17.65in.) For comparison: the Pivot Trail429 is 16.90in, GG The Smash is 17.1, Y T Capra is 435mm/17.12in. Yeti SB150 is 433mm/17.02in.
    So most "Boutique Bike" brands 29ers are all around 17 inches, like the halboost, which is only around a 1/2 inch longer. I did my homework and the geometry on this bike is on par with ones costing twice as much.
    Dude, you really need to learn how to add and subtract.

Motobecane, 44.85 cm CS = 17.66 in. Pivot = 16.90. Difference = .76 in, or 3/4 of an inch, not half an inch.

The industry standard for trail bikes is. 43 cm, or 16.9 in. You've chosen a few bikes with a little longer than average chain stays to twist the facts to fit your illegitimate narrative, Pinocchio style. "I'm a real boy!"

The point is, you can't test ride bikes direct bikes and you can't find any meaningful detailed reviews of them either.

You're making yourself look very silly and losing any tiny bit of credibility you may have had with your childish ranting.

I'm inclined to defend motobecane and bikes direct btw, I'm not here to trash them. But no one gets as defensive and irrational as you have been unless they are either a) totally clueless, or b) a bikes direct brand rep or employee, or c) both.

mtbr member
    That is some weak trolling.

Dude, you really need to learn how to add and subtract.

Motobecane, 44.85 cm CS = 17.66 in. Pivot = 16.90. Difference = .76 in, or 3/4 of an inch, not half an inch.

The industry standard for trail bikes is. 43 cm, or 16.9 in. You've chosen a few bikes with a little longer than average chain stays to twist the facts to fit your illegitimate narrative, Pinocchio style. "I'm a real boy!"

The point is, you can't test ride bikes direct bikes and you can't find any meaningful detailed reviews of them either.

You're making yourself look very silly and losing any tiny bit of credibility you may have had with your childish ranting.

I'm inclined to defend motobecane and bikes direct btw, I'm not here to trash them. But no one gets as defensive and irrational as you have been unless they are either a) totally clueless, or b) a bikes direct brand rep or employee, or c) both.
    Which is why I said "around" a half an inch and also because I was referring to all the examples I listed not just one. I wasn't aware that replying with statistics was "childish ranting". This is yet another example of why there are almost no posts about Motobecane on here= it's met with resistance and snobbishness. I have no desire to enter in a verbal pissing match which I feel you may be wanting to incite when you say things like"That is some weak trolling." and "You're making yourself look very silly ". You have a nice day. I'll enjoy my Motobecane.
    Last edited by metalskool; 4 Days Ago at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I received mine and closely inspected everything. The welds are by no means handmade welds, but they are good enough to not worry about. It took about an hour and half to get everything adjusted (minus the spongy brakes). I bought some Spank Oozy 29" wheels and Raceface pedals. I also purchased Maxxis Minnons that have not arrived yet. Ill post some pictures when its put together and out of my living room.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdoog View Post
    I received mine and closely inspected everything. The welds are by no means handmade welds, but they are good enough to not worry about. It took about an hour and half to get everything adjusted (minus the spongy brakes). I bought some Spank Oozy 29" wheels and Raceface pedals. I also purchased Maxxis Minnons that have not arrived yet. Ill post some pictures when its put together and out of my living room.
    I look forward to your post. Thanks and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Something I'm seeing on the geo is short reach. 430mm for the Large. 445mm for an XL. That's a tough choice on a 150mm travel 29. You'd have to run a long stem which no one wants.

The next thing is the rear shock. 5"/130mm travel from a Monarch RL. That's a low end shock from 2014. I don't see the travel listed.
    https://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/monarch
    A good priced upgrade is a Manitou McLeod.
    https://www.starbike.com/en/manitou-...FX_D_BwE#78598

I'd look at another direct sale bike like a YT Capra 160mm Lyric fork and 160 RockShox SuperDeluxe R shock. 32lbs aluminum.
    Reach is 445 L 460 XL and 490 XXL CS 435 L 440 XL and XXL
    NX shifter and derailleur is a minus. But you get DT wheels with 30mm inner width rims instead of the 23mm rims and low end hubs on the MB HAL.
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...900-spline-30/
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/260

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Have you weighed it yet? how's the bottom bracket to ground clearance in 29 vs 27.5? Being able to run 27.5+ on it is a great option- It really looks great!
    Haven't weighed it ... More frequent pedal strikes at 27.5 with the 2.6 tires but you just have to be a little more aware.

One thing I did not notice was the seat stay is not braced before it attaches to the linkage. Not sure if this is a bad thing but I would assume that allows some side to side flex. Looking at other FS bikes with similar linkage setups they all have the top of the stays connected ... usually just above the tire.

I was at Fire Mountain here in the NC mountains last weekend and did a few downhill runs. Bike worked well ... rode down Kessel Run with a guy on a Release Carbon and kept him in sight no problem. Bottom line is I had a blast on the bike. Sorry @westernmtb .. that's the best I can do for a review.

mtbr member
    It was delivered this morning. I spent 3+ hours assembling and adjusting. I haven't had a chance to ride it other than around my yard. (Trying to finish a deck on my house)
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-58380973_10217188343852857_7616572059287552000_n.jpg
    box was in fair shape when I got it:
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-58379934_10217188344332869_2505059866033258496_n.jpg
    Packaging:
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-57774919_10217188346932934_8336656380530262016_n.jpg
    Dropper post took the longest to set up
    Assembling:
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-58374249_10217188350613026_6675754353497735168_n.jpg
    I used some RaceFace pedals since the stock ones are junk.
    The dork disc got pitched also.
    Completed:
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-57882562_10217188352973085_1352242939585101824_n.jpg
    Kinesis branding:
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-58114960_10217189206354419_3586349944732123136_n.jpg
    The finish is much nicer in person- I was pleasantly surprised!
    Close up:
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-58380799_10217188353453097_3129139552107626496_n.jpg
    As soon as I can get to the trails I'll post an initial review.
    Last edited by metalskool; 17 Hours Ago at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-20190424_190516.jpg
    I am waiting on a new stem, but I had it out for the first time today. Spank Oozy 345 wheels with Maxxis Minnon tires/Stans Notubes. I changed out that uncomfortable seat, ergo grips, and RaceFace pedals.

I am super happy with the bike. I am 5' 11" and opted for the 43cm and it fits great. I was worried that I was the top of the recommended size for that frame, but with the addition of the 2.4/2.5 tires, its great.

And for the rear tires. 2.4" might be the max.
    Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-20190424_190529.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto65 View Post
    Haven't weighed it ... More frequent pedal strikes at 27.5 with the 2.6 tires but you just have to be a little more aware.

One thing I did not notice was the seat stay is not braced before it attaches to the linkage. Not sure if this is a bad thing but I would assume that allows some side to side flex. Looking at other FS bikes with similar linkage setups they all have the top of the stays connected ... usually just above the tire.
    I think that the HAL linkage is why there is no connection on the upper stays. Given the size and triangular shape of the pivot linkage; I assume that's what holds them in line.Motobecane 29er Hal Boost-58606414_10217189205754404_1057255433120514048_n.jpg
    Sounds like you had a great time with it so far, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Something I'm seeing on the geo is short reach. 430mm for the Large. 445mm for an XL. That's a tough choice on a 150mm travel 29. You'd have to run a long stem which no one wants.

The next thing is the rear shock. 5"/130mm travel from a Monarch RL. That's a low end shock from 2014. I don't see the travel listed.
    https://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/monarch
    A good priced upgrade is a Manitou McLeod.
    https://www.starbike.com/en/manitou-...FX_D_BwE#78598

I'd look at another direct sale bike like a YT Capra 160mm Lyric fork and 160 RockShox SuperDeluxe R shock. 32lbs aluminum.
    Reach is 445 L 460 XL and 490 XXL CS 435 L 440 XL and XXL
    NX shifter and derailleur is a minus. But you get DT wheels with 30mm inner width rims instead of the 23mm rims and low end hubs on the MB HAL.
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...900-spline-30/
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/260
    The geometry makes no sense. 45 cm chain stays when the industry standard is 43 cm. 41.5cm reach on medium when the industry standard is 43cm+. 32" standover on medium when the industry standard is 29.5" or less. Who was this bike designed for? Nothing about the geometry indicates that there was the slightest degree of thought invested in the design.

Yet every rider who has posted says the bike rides great. Meanwhile, the pivot trail 429 at $6K to start gets mixed reviews. Go figure.

I suppose you can create a frame with random angles and dimensions and get a quality product. It doesn't seem quite plausible but the reviews say: "rides great!"