Motobecane 2018 Titanium NightTrain Bullet and Bikesdirect.com?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Motobecane 2018 Titanium NightTrain Bullet and Bikesdirect.com?

I am new to this site, so....I have a question regarding BikesDirect.com and a fat tire bike they have listed for sale (Motobecane 2018 Titanium NightTrain). The price looks unbelievable ($2,300, list for $5,500)

So I went to the Motobecane USA website to try and research the bike. When I looked at the fat tire bike category on the Motobecane USA website they do not list this bike. In fact the site does not list any Motobecae fat tire bikes available with a titanium frame. They do show regular hardtail mt. bikes available with a titanium frame.

Any thoughts on this?
    Is this NightTrain bike manufactured specifically for BikesDirect.com?
    Anybody out there purchased this bike from BikesDirect.com?

Thanks, looking forward to any responses.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This site has a wealth of information, but you have to look for it.

The search function on mtbr is not always friendly, but if you type mtbr and then search terms into Google, it'll come up.

There is an enormous amount of info on this bike and even more on the AL version in here, in their respective threads.

You'll also find many many debates, reviews, etc on BD.

I would link you but I'm on my phone, but just do a search.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    tfinatore,

I have read dozens of article on the web with respect to this NightTrain bike. They either identify the bike with an hydroformed 6061 aluminum frame (as does the Motobecane USA website), or talk generally about the bike (as do many on the mtbr forum), or take you right back to BikesDirect.com as in.....

(First Look: Motobecane Sturgis and NightTrain titanium fat bikes - Mtbr.com)

"We donít know how Bikes Direct does it, but theyíre continually able to sell bikes that cost less than the sum of all components. We checked out their Motobecane Ti mountain bike and their road bikes recently and they fared well"

I have yet to find an article, written by a respectable cycling magazine, that reviews the bike without a reference to BikesDirect.com.

There is something usual about this bike, its price, and the way it is being marketed that just does not add up?

I did just find this link....that stated

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/...ike/5-1790350/

"it's sooo shiney - but is it just a pollished ----. In reality I suspect it is a bicycle direct bike, which would mean a few good components and a few corners cut to keep the price down. Just don't know what is close to it that can be found local"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMPBike View Post
    tfinatore,

I have read dozens of article on the web with respect to this NightTrain bike. They either identify the bike with an hydroformed 6061 aluminum frame (as does the Motobecane USA website), or talk generally about the bike (as do many on the mtbr forum), or take you right back to BikesDirect.com as in.....

(First Look: Motobecane Sturgis and NightTrain titanium fat bikes - Mtbr.com)

"We donít know how Bikes Direct does it, but theyíre continually able to sell bikes that cost less than the sum of all components. We checked out their Motobecane Ti mountain bike and their road bikes recently and they fared well"

I have yet to find an article, written by a respectable cycling magazine, that reviews the bike without a reference to BikesDirect.com.

There is something usual about this bike, its price, and the way it is being marketed that just does not add up?

I did just find this link....that stated

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/...ike/5-1790350/

"it's sooo shiney - but is it just a pollished ----. In reality I suspect it is a bicycle direct bike, which would mean a few good components and a few corners cut to keep the price down. Just don't know what is close to it that can be found local"
    I didn't say look for articles. I said look for threads about it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=979382

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you want to know more about the AL version, there's an insane thread for that.

If you want to know about BD, you'll find info in those threads, or search for it. The business practices of the company have been hashed out here hundreds of times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    BD.com gets all of their bikes made for only them in Asia.

They are the only producer of motobecane bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Their titanium bike frames are top notch. All of the titanium frames (road, mountain, fat bike) are made in the same factory in Tawain...in fact the same place Salsa is now having their titanium frames manufactured in except they are charging close to $2,500 for the frame only.

I've got a titanium motobecane mountain bike, as does my brother, and the frame quality is top notch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I am new to this site, so....I have a question regarding BikesDirect.com and a fat tire bike they have listed for sale (Motobecane 2018 Titanium NightTrain). The price looks unbelievable ($2,300, list for $5,500)

Any thoughts on this?
    First, I own a Motobecane aluminum bike I use from commuting purchased from BikesDirect.comís factory seconds site (BikeIsland.com) Itís fine as long as you know how to put a boxed bike together (or are willing to pay $25-50 to have a LBS do it for you) and are willing to exchange email with them if a part is missing or damaged.

Motobecane USA is just the name that BikesDirect.com uses for their premium bikes, they use Gravity for their lower line, and have another name for their single speeds. Since the website is their main sales point (they use bikeisland.com for factory seconds and I believe they have one or two actual storefronts), it should explain why that site is more up-to-date than the actual Motobecane USA site as they are maintained by the same company.

This sort of thing is very common in the industry. For instance REI uses the brand ďCo-opĒ, and used to use ďNovaraĒ for the same thing. I just passed a Novara on my commute home today.

The reason this happens is most bike frames (all but maybe 1%) are manfactured in Taiwan or China, and of those, most are manufactured by the same three companies (Kinesis being the one who does aluminum Motobecanes; titanium being more boutique is done by Ora). There is a fun youtube video from Pinkbike on this if you are curious.

That doesnít mean that a Motobecane aluminum frame is the same as a Santa Cruz or Trek (just to name two companies that use Kinesis), especially on the high end. The layup (if carbon), techniques used (swaging, hydroforming), design (e.g. Santa Cruzís VPP linkage) and branding is unique/proprietary especially on the high end and would not allowed to be shared across bike brands. Motobecane/Bikesdirect, in order to cut costs, uses an open-mold, non patent-encumbered design. In fact, if you visit the taiwanese site for Ora Engineering and Kinesis you can actually see your the frame ready to purchase.

But donít think buying direct from Ora is going to save you money vs. a Motobecane. Motobecane orders a lot of quantity and has an established relationship with Ora and Kinesis. The prices they get for that plus components on complete bikes is going to be better than if you were to put it together yourself, no matter how much internet searching you are willing to do (and those prices are so good often because they are taking the components OEM instead of the units boxed for resale).

If you are do not care about branding, more expensive paint jobs, donít need a dealer mechanic support, nor tech upgrades in frame (and OEM component design in the case of large brands) that may or may not be of dubious value, then you save a lot buying this way as you donít have dealer markup (which usually covers 1 year of tuneups and sales support), branding (pros gotta eat and someone has to discount bikes for local teams), research into new tech, and quality control, etc. That stuff adds up!

Im okay with that, even on my new model Cannondale Slate, I get passed on bikes 20 years older than mine. The bike tech, while nice, is not necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

So I went to the Motobecane USA website to try and research the bike. When I looked at the fat tire bike category on the Motobecane USA website they do not list this bike. In fact the site does not list any Motobecae fat tire bikes available with a titanium frame. They do show regular hardtail mt. bikes available with a titanium frame.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, looking forward to any responses.
    Sorry for responding 3 weeks after the question was asked. I have this bike and I love it. I Got back into MTB about a year ago. My 2009 GT Marathon full squish shortly there after bit the dust. So I agonizingly over complicated getting a new bike and spent 6 months figuration out what I wanted to do. I was on the Fence between the HAL6 and the HAL boost for awhile but fat bike kept creeping in for one reason or another. And i have a titanium fetish. So I talked myself into picking up this bike last September. I love it. I weld and I'm a helicopter mechanic. The welds on this bike are sick. And I just love the frame.

FAT bikes. Are you ready for that. The wheels are heavy and they take more diesel power to get going. And this is even more true on hills. It's not the end of the world but you must know this or it might induce catastrophic buyers remorse. I personally don't mind, in fact, I dig it. But I am a strange specimen. i sort of like to suffer and I have legs chiseled from a life of boulder hopping and swimming. No shit navy rescue swimmer, my legs are kind of ripped. I just wish I still had the cardio to go with it. I'd say maybe ten percent more umpf to get going but they like to roll once up to speed. And the same ten percent more work uphill. Maybe more, but I like to climb and like I said, I like to suffer, so I'm biased and maybe don't notice so much.

One thing I can tell you is this. Everyone who give my bike a try falls in love. It is just that much fun to ride. Mine came with minions, I forget whet they come with now. Mine went tubeless no problem and I suspect the current tires will do the same. The brakes work really well and the shifters are the best I have ever had. Some don't like sram shifters and brakes, I don't have a preference. I am happy with the 2x11 and have not found a 20 present or slight;y steeper hill I can't climb. I personally want to go to a 1x setup later, either E13 9-46 or eagle 10-50. I'll decide later, I want to ride it a year before dumping more money into it. The bike rides well. It climbs like a goat and descends just the same. YOU WILL HAVE FUN ON THIS BIKE. You just have to decide for yourself if you want a fatty or not. It might not be right for you. But it just might be that one bike.

CONS:
    1. Heavy tires have more rolling resistance and are heavy
    2. Bike snobs are going to laugh and call you names
    3. Bike snobs are going to cry because "suppoert the idiots at your LBS bro"
    4. No LBS waranty support
    5. Have to put on the brake discs and the fork/stem/bars.
    6. ahve to learn all about fat tire pressure, or the lack thereof.

PROS:
    • You get to be an individual and do your own thing
    • More tire volume is a lot of fun and you can go places no other bike can take you
    • You are not going to need a waranty for the components
    • The frame is warantied for life
    • The guys on face book at fat bikes know eerything you will ever want to know.
    • All that money you saved, spend it on a set of fat plus wheels with 3 inch wide tires and onyx hubs
    • Did I say "TRACTION?"

If you decide to get this bike, or if you already have, then join the fat bikes group on facebook and then ride the tread off the tires. I doubt you will regret it and will more than likely really love it. It is an insanely good deal and and it is not a scam or to good to be true.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This chanel has a lot of fat bike footage, and some specific titanium nighttrain footage. This vid is of a 20117 or 2016 model I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBxr5nM8dD0

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    There is a 2019 version now with slightly different components. They also removed the front derailleur. Any suggestions on which year is better? Pros and cons, etc.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y-titanium.htm