moto fly xc HT with sid 100mm shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

... and if we just ... moto fly xc HT with sid 100mm shock

I just ordered the fly xc hardtail in blue and white with the sid 100mm shock and the bb7 disc brake upgrade... does anyone have pics of this bike, if so please post....does anyone own this or know anything about looked like a great deal so I went 4 it. thanks in advance..

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Awesome! I was looking at that bike the other day on their site and it looks like a sweet bike. The only pics ive seen of it though are the ones in the gallery on bikesdirect's site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ups said that it would be here fri or mon pumped! those are the only pics I have saw of his bike too! The sits says it's under 23 pounds! wow

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i checked the fly xc vs the fly pro and the only difference i see is that brakes. is that the only difference??

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think the breaks are the only difference.

Jethro - What size did you get? I've been looking at this bike for a while and I thought a 18 frame would be right...but I don't see any available right now . (5'10" 150lbs).

Jun 2009
    Wheels on a Pro a little lighter. (Pro Lite vs Pro)
    I got XC with BB7 installed.
    Also I changed the tires to IRC Serac and riser handle bar and seatpost is ThudBuster.
    The bike is around 26 lbs with all these addtions.

I already mentioned in other thread that I had an issue with shifting - how it was explained in the bikestore - Ultegra did not match with XT Shadow. (both bikes in the store had the same issue).
    It is a great bike otherwise - the store did not have the white-and-blue and I got myself the grey one.
    I like my color but still think the white one looks better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EdJax
    Wheels on a Pro a little lighter. (Pro Lite vs Pro)
    I got XC with BB7 installed.
    Also I changed the tires to IRC Serac and riser handle bar and seatpost is ThudBuster.
    The bike is around 26 lbs with all these addtions.

I already mentioned in other thread that I had an issue with shifting - how it was explained in the bikestore - Ultegra did not match with XT Shadow. (both bikes in the store had the same issue).
    It is a great bike otherwise - the store did not have the white-and-blue and I got myself the grey one.
    I like my color but still think the white one looks better.

Huh?
    ultegra cassette not matching an XT shadow derailleur is not a correct diagnosis
    9 speed spacing is 9 speed spacing
    the mechanic is not tuning it correctly - probably because they are not as familiar with the shadow der tuning
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

Jun 2009
    dup
    Last edited by EdJax; 07-28-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Jun 2009
    It is not "Huh?" at all. This is what I heard from 3 different mechanics - "9 speed is 9 speed no matter what". And it was in one shop (one of the best in town). The final diagnosis was - the shifter is not working properly and the chain is not right. (needs to be Shimano).

Then I took the bike to the BikeDirect store, where I bought it, since it was brand new bike and did not want to pay for this.
    The bike spent 5 long days in the store, they have tried everything and finally they changed the cassette and it worked.
    Didn't I mention - there was another bike in the store with the same problem and they ordered the same fix for that bike too.
    Believe it or not, but I do not care much what it was, as long as the bike is working. I did not have any special preferences to have it Ultegra but not an LX.

Besides, I'm not a bike mechanic, but I do not think that this is a rocket-science to tune the der.....even if it is a Big Shadow.
    And if 5(!) different people tried to figure out what the problem was - it is hard to believe it was a tune-up problem only.

I'm still looking for someone with 2009 Fly XC/Pro to confirm if it was only lucky me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EdJax
    It is not "Huh?" at all. This is what I heard from 3 different mechanics - "9 speed is 9 speed no matter what". And it was in one shop (one of the best in town). The final diagnosis was - the shifter is not working properly and the chain is not right. (needs to be Shimano).
    any mechanic who tells you the chain NEEDS to be Shimano is ignorant
    you can use ANY 9 speed chain
    KMC, SRAM, Wipperman etc

Heck, shimano don't even make their own chains, they are made by KMC and others
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oldassracer
    any mechanic who tells you the chain NEEDS to be Shimano is ignorant
    you can use ANY 9 speed chain
    KMC, SRAM, Wipperman etc

Heck, shimano don't even make their own chains, they are made by KMC and others
    Agreed.
    The guy who changed the cassete did not say that chain needed to be changed. It was my personal request, just based on the previous guy opinion.

I agreed with all of you, that nothing needed to be changed on my bike. I just do not understand if nothing needed to be changed, why 5 different guys who are making their living out of it, were not able to make a simple tune of shifting?

Shimano makes products that are so hard to tune?

Members who have read this thread: 0