Moto Fantom Team Gear Ratio Comparison- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Moto Fantom Team Gear Ratio Comparison

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and the sport. I'm looking to get my first serious mountain bike soon and I have narrowed down my choice to the Motobecane Fantom Team full suspension bike with 27 speed. I did a survey of all the Fantom bikes from Motobecane and found that this bike I'm planning to get does not have a good gear ratio range.

Here is the list of gear ratio for all the Motobecane Fantom bikes. I calculated the maximum ratio which affects down hill travel and the minimum ratio which is for up hill climb.

Fantom Team 20 Speed- Maximum: 3.50, Minimum:0.75
    Fantom Team 30 Speed- Maximum: 3.67, Minimum: 0.61
    Fantom Team 27 Speed- Maximum: 3.67, Minimum: 0.81
    Fantom Pro DS 27 Speed- Maximum: 4.00, Minimum: 0.65
    Fantom Elite DS 27 Speed- Maximum: 4.00, Minimum: 0.69
    Fantom Comp DS 27 Speed- Maximum: 4.00, Minimum: 0.69
    Fantom Trail DS 27 Speed- Maximum: 4.00, Minimum: 0.69

The 27 speed version has a very narrow range of gear ratio which makes it poor for both down hill and up hill travel as compared to the other bikes. For down hill travel, a higher gear ration is what you want for maximum speed and a lower gear ratio is good for really steep up hill climb.

The Pro DS has the best gear combination of all the bikes. I could go with this model but I want a really light bike. In my opinion, the Fantom Team 27 speed bike's limited gear ratio range is a handicap to a really good bike. Wish Bike Direct would change this combination.

Sorry for being so technical about this.

AZ
    banned
    You cant have both , HTFU .

DynoDon
    I have the Fantom Team, I changed the rear cassette to a 11/34, and solved that problem, I replaced the chain also, to add the linkage required for the bigger gearing.. I also changed the tires to Schwalbe Rocket Rons, and grips to Oury's too, and you're right it is a really good bike, once you get it sorted out. I've got a little over 500 miles on it now with no real problems, I plan on changing the cables/housings, thats the next thing I feel needs an upgrade, good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0