MOTO damaged during shipping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

MOTO damaged during shipping * FIXED *

Bikesdirect has been great to deal with. They went what I consider to be above what was expected and fixed everything that was damaged in shipping.

In the future I will not accept a damaged box from shipping company.

After reading about and riding many bikes I decided that a MOTO was the best bang for the buck. I pulled the trigger on a new Fantom pro 29er.

Delivered tonight by UPS. DAMN what do they do with packages! The end of the fork was banged up, rear derailleur and cable was banged up and the zip ties holding the front wheel were broken. I so want to assemble this bike,but feel like I should wait to hear what bikesdirect has to say. Wish I could find a phone number.

Anybody else have this problem? How was it handled?
    Last edited by occva; 09-28-2010 at 02:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Too late now, but for future reference --> refuse delivery if the bike looks damaged when UPS brings it to the door. They require signature, which means you have a chance to inspect the bike before you sign.

I would probably ignore a few small scratches as not worth the hassle. You'll have much more than that after a few proper rides. Technically, there shouldn't be damage on a new product but you have the weigh the hassle of a return or claim vs the effort and time you could be riding.

A broken zip tie - who cares? You were going to cut it anyway.

If the damage is a big deal, take pics and email BD. I'd expect maybe a small discount to make up for it or a replacement of the damaged parts if the damage is significant. My experience has been that BD is very reasonable with people who are reasonable in return.

You also have the option to return the bike if it's not resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Don't care about the broken zip tie. It was more of a what the hell do they do in shipping to break one.

I know it will get scratched up soon. I guess I am more concerned if the rear derailleur is bent or not, will have to check it out once I get the cable and housing fixed. It won't even shift right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sorry to hear about the damage.Check the front wheel carefully for bent spokes or rim.If there was enough pressure on the wheel to pop the tie wraps then there could be more damage. BD should take care of it.

DynoDon
    Phone #
    Take pictures so they will know what to send you, it may help, but it sounds like they will take care of it, its a bummer, I know you want to ride it, to bad you didn't see the damage before you signed for it, Good Luck
    904 249--24453

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    signing for almost anything is a no brainer......
    but I think in this case, he may have a point, how are you supposed to keep the UPS guy there and assemble it and test ride it?
    2 pennies for you.
    '11 Redline MonoCog Flight 29er
    '10 Windsor Cliff 29er SS
    '09 Trek 4300

DynoDon
    I drove a truck for 30+yrs, things get damaged in shippment, you have to look the package over good, it will show signs of freight setting ontop of it most of the time, especially with that much damage, or it may have holes in it, then you can sign anything you want, on the delivery reciept, cover your butt, they don't want a claim, and will work with you, if you think the freight is damaged, they will stay while you take it out of the box or you can refuse it. You are the customer and you're alway right..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    '11 Redline MonoCog Flight 29er
    '10 Windsor Cliff 29er SS
    '09 Trek 4300

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    If the RD is banged up, there's a good chance the hanger is bent too...

Bikesdirect will take care of the problem. Don't assemble the bike, you'll probably be asked to return the entire box, so you'd only have to take it apart again.

It may take a day or two to hear from them, but please don't get too impatient and start bashing.. things happen. You'll be happy in the end.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    I opened up the boxes for both of my BD bikes before I signed a thing. There was a big hole in my road bike shipping box, which I had the driver note. Just take a look inside the box before you sign just to CYA. I'll ditto what others have said about BD being cooperative and understanding about product damaged during shipment. Be reasonable and they will be too.
    "Got everything you need?"

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    If the RD is banged up, there's a good chance the hanger is bent too...

Bikesdirect will take care of the problem. Don't assemble the bike, you'll probably be asked to return the entire box, so you'd only have to take it apart again.

It may take a day or two to hear from them, but please don't get too impatient and start bashing.. things happen. You'll be happy in the end.

2nd this...best thing to do.

Good Luck!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

DynoDon
    I've seen posts like this and others about other subjects, and the OP doen't come back to tell how it all came out. It may be more interesting then the original post, but it would be nice to know. Well I bet it all worked out, and I hope the bike is bringing BIG SMILES now... I'm willing to bet it is..

mtbr member
    Yep, I too would like to see how this was handled. OP, any resolution or communication with BikesDirect yet?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Smile BD will work it out with you

Hi,

I too had the same issue, but their email support is very helpful. I ordered Dawes Haymer 1200. Box came and there was a hole in it, there really isnt much cushioning inside their packaging to prevent the bike from moving around. But it looks looks like a pretty standard way of packing as with other manufacturers (e.g. Trek, Giant, etc.) that I have seen.

As stated on the BD website. If there are any damage, take pictures of it (lots of pictures). I took pictures of the box before and after opening. Took pictures of what was damaged, and send it to them via email. They do respond and very helpful. They sent me replacement parts of what was broken. Pretty satisfied with their support.

Hope it works out the same for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got my Fantom 29 today. I had the UPS guy open the box and took the bike out to look it over. The box was a little beat up and had been what looked to be a re-tape job. However, the bike did not appear to be damaged at all on initial inspection. Did not have time to get to it tonight but will check it out thoroughly tomorrow. As stated previously, there is not a lot of protective packaging inside. But you figure as many bikes as they ship they would know what kind of claims they see for damage. And if it was a lot they would increase the packaging.

The bike did look great though, It is my first venture into a mountain bike, and at 54 it is more then enough right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Everything Fixed!

Bikesdirect was quick to make everything right.

Now if this rain would stop so I could ride!

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Kick A$$!!!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

DynoDon
    Glad to hear it,, a little rain won't hurt ya.. where are the pictures???

Members who have read this thread: 0