more new bike advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

more new bike advice

I've been saving, and finally have enough to start thinking about a decision.
    I deliberately capped myself at 2K, and have decided on MB because
    of the components I can get at that price.

I'm mostly XC, but occassionally (~30%) downhill too.

The bikes I've been looking at are:
    MB Fly Team 29
    MB Fantom Team
    MB Fantom DS Pro

I have questions about each one, and was hoping to get some rider exp. here.
    I've been riding an old Cannondale HT that I've slowly upgraded. I'm at 28-ish pounds, and I like the lightness for climbing. I'm really wanting to go with a full suspension. I also ride a small frame (which could come into play on the 29 I understand)

- never even ridden a 29er... I've read that the bigger wheels (through tire pressure and low components) give you some cushion. While I realize it's not FS, it might be enough. What are your thoughts on the 29? How hard are after market parts to get? tire selection? wheel selection? What else would push me into a 29? (please realize before you say it, I will definitely go demo a 29er before I buy one, just looking for info)

- DS Pro - I like this bike, but would really like the lightness of the Team. Functionality-wise what is the difference in XTR and XTR-M972 components?

- Team - seemingly the perfect bike, though I have questions about this one too. For one, the tires/tubes are made super lightweight for racing. Am I going to be riddled with flats on every ride (i.e. will I immediately have to buy new tires?). Also, with really light wheelsets, do I have to worry about them going out of true constantly? Will I also need to change out the gearing? (I'm still confused on what the perfect XC gearing is)

thanks for your help!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyE
    - never even ridden a 29er... I've read that the bigger wheels (through tire pressure and low components) give you some cushion. While I realize it's not FS, it might be enough. What are your thoughts on the 29? How hard are after market parts to get? tire selection? wheel selection? What else would push me into a 29? (please realize before you say it, I will definitely go demo a 29er before I buy one, just looking for info)
    Larger circumference (and thus angle of attack) and larger tire volume make it easier to roll over stuff and recover if you case the back wheel. The larger wheels and tires also make for greater centrifugal force which results in better stability and the ability to carry more speed into wide turns. 29ers also have their disadvantages; typically heavier, harder to manual, greater difficulty in negotiating tight turns and switchbacks.... like any wheel size, it's give and take. Except for forks, rims and tires, 29ers use basically the same parts as any other modern MTB and there are enough aftermarket forks, rims and tires to satisfy most needs. It is typically harder to find as many extra wide 29" tires as you will find in the 26" wheel size, but there is a fair selection. Basically, if you have wider trails with not so many sharp turns then a 29er is definitely for you.

Will I also need to change out the gearing? (I'm still confused on what the perfect XC gearing is)
    Depends on what you're going to be using it for. For recreational XC, a 12-27t cassette seems a bit high though it's perfect for racing. If you find you're running out of low gears, you could always swap it out for an 11-32t cassette.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been saving, and finally have enough to start thinking about a decision.
    I deliberately capped myself at 2K, and have decided on MB because
    of the components I can get at that price.

I'm mostly XC, but occassionally (~30%) downhill too.

The bikes I've been looking at are:
    MB Fly Team 29
    MB Fantom Team
    MB Fantom DS Pro

I have questions about each one, and was hoping to get some rider exp. here.
    I've been riding an old Cannondale HT that I've slowly upgraded. I'm at 28-ish pounds, and I like the lightness for climbing. I'm really wanting to go with a full suspension. I also ride a small frame (which could come into play on the 29 I understand)

- DS Pro - I like this bike, but would really like the lightness of the Team. Functionality-wise what is the difference in XTR and XTR-M972 components?

- Team - seemingly the perfect bike, though I have questions about this one too. For one, the tires/tubes are made super lightweight for racing. Am I going to be riddled with flats on every ride (i.e. will I immediately have to buy new tires?). Also, with really light wheelsets, do I have to worry about them going out of true constantly? Will I also need to change out the gearing? (I'm still confused on what the perfect XC gearing is)

thanks for your help!
    Not a big fan of 29ers myself, so I will stay away from that question

XTR is a level of componentry. When you see M972 that just specifies which model it is. The 9 specifies XTR. The 7 speicifes the generation (i.e. the old generation was 6 and the new generation when it comes out will be 8). The last digit signifies a specific model option. All new XTR will be M970, M971 or M972 and there might be an M973 for some components.

The Team really is not ridable as it comes. It really isn't race ready for most people either. The tires are very small, they say 1.95 but are really like 1.75, and they are basically semi-slicks. They would be great on dry fire roads but really no where else. They actually are super thin and feel like inner tubes with a little bit of tread. The tubes are super thin, and don't last long in normal riding, I tried using them for a while but just got way too many flats. Most likely you will need a cassette with a lower gear if you want it to be an all around bike. The cassette it comes with will work if you do not ride any really steep hills, or you have some serious leg power. The wheels are very strong despite being fairly light, so I wouldn't worry there. Keep in mind that once you have the bike setup with real tires/tubes/cassette it will probably weigh closer to 26 or 27 pounds.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I
    thanks for your help!
    The DS Pro actually comes with the same M971 front and M972 shadow rear derailleur as the Team, so you're not missing anything there. The majority of weight savings on the Team come from the lighter wheels and tires, as well as the slightly lighter cockpit components and fork. To me, the main performance advantage of the Team, other than the weight difference, results from the Blackbox dampening in the Reba Team fork and the adjustable platform of the Monarch 4.2 as the stock preset platform on the Monarch 3.3 was very easily overwhelmed with the frame in the 5" travel mode for me, even when running much less sag than recommended.

Members who have read this thread: 0