minor Fantom 29er frame gripe. design flaw?- Mtbr.com
    John has a long moustache

minor Fantom 29er frame gripe. design flaw?

I built up my 21" Fantom 29er frame this week and took the bike out for it's maiden ride yesterday. It only took about 1/2 mile for me to realize that there was one serious design flaw that, while minor on the whole scale of possible issues, could cause serious problems. The design of the Fantom is such that the boxed seat stays are :wavy: That is, they do not run straight back to the chainstay junction rather, they make a lazy "S-Shape". The braze-ons for the shifter cable housing on the seat stay need to be on the top of the seat stay rather than on the outside. The bare shifter cable just sticks out in space like a guitar string as the seat stay bends away from it (ie.. a long bow). My heel hit the bare cable multiple times in my first climb causing the derailleur to change gears. I had shifting issues all day from this. When I look down I can see that my size 11.5 shoe is at best 1/2" away from the cable when pedaling and any rotation at all causes my heel to grab the cable and pull it up. After a few miles I just went back to th truck and called it a day.

When I got home I cut a new piece of jagwire housing and routed it from top-tube braze-on all the way to the derailleur and tie wrapped it to the top of the seat stay. When I went riding today there were no more shifting issues. I would think that this should be changed in future builds.

If you look in this picture you can see how exposed the cable is if you run it with the factory braze-ons.

Last edited by dr.mediocre; 04-06-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

mtbr member
    Lame. Sounds like you found a suitable work-around at least. The frustrationg thing is being forced to add weight(yeah i know, not much but still) to solve a design problem. Did they even try riding the prototype before they started mass producing? Probably not.
    Missing the Zunis...

Quote Originally Posted by frankenmike
    Lame. Sounds like you found a suitable work-around at least. The frustrationg thing is being forced to add weight(yeah i know, not much but still) to solve a design problem. Did they even try riding the prototype before they started mass producing? Probably not.
    I don't know that I'd go that far with it. My son's Specialized 29er doesn't even have braze-ons for the derailleur or brakes. You have to run sealed cables the entire length. I just wish. The frame itself is strong and a pleasure to ride.
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

mtbr member
    Yeah, I wrenched in a shop that sold Spec., and always thought it was kind of a kludge way to run the rear derailer line. BUT it was actually designed that way, not used as a work around to a design flaw. Anyhow, it is a minor gripe and doesn't affect the enjoyment from the riding, that is the important thing. Cheers
    Missing the Zunis...

My daughter's 600HT has the same design. Her foot can't reach the cable though, you can see the way it routed here:

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    When I read this I got up and looked at mine because I have never had this problem.(it is the same) I wear a size 14 and this has never been an issue for me. I wonder why? Maybe the size of the bike. I ride a 21. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmas
    When I read this I got up and looked at mine because I have never had this problem.(it is the same) I wear a size 14 and this has never been an issue for me. I wonder why? Maybe the size of the bike. I ride a 21. Thoughts?
    The picture above is a shot of my daughter's 15" 600HT frame. It appears that the new HT frame and the Fantom 29er frame are the same now. I wear 11.5 shoes and would hit the cable on my 21" Fantom 29er every time I climbed. I do not have my clipless pedals on the Fantom yet so the problem may not present itself if I'm connected to the pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I do run clipless. But ran flats for a long time. Maybe the width was wider on my pedals? My flats were big platforms....who knows though. I am riding tonight and will pay attention to see how close i am.

Members who have read this thread: 0