Mike and the rest MTBR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mike and the rest MTBR

In my prior life, I was a bike mechanic for 4+ years. I own a 29er Fantom Elite, think it is a great bike and recommend Bikesdirect(with reservations) to all of my friends, colleagues and acquaintances, both for the value and the ride. I think Motobecane and Bikesdirect have the absolute best value available for the products they sell.

I think Mike and his postings on the rest of this site are abrasive and to a large part detrimental to his brands. I understand his desire to protect something he has built up and I applaud him. But I do not think he truly understands how his postings are viewed by the rest of this site.
    Last edited by Ötzi; 02-16-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: I've been drinking.
    The Good Times are Killing me

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Was it edited because you were drinking, or is that the reason you posted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I don't think Mike's posts are too "abrasive". Defensive? Yes - but with people putting down Moto/BD because they are basically angry that (relatively) inexpensive bikes are being sold over the internet how can you not want to defend yourself. Some of these people are so worked up it may be difficult to not be emotionally affected by it. I've never read any posts by Mike that could be considered offensive or childish but a lot of the Moto/BD haters posts can be.

I do think the people who lurk the Moto forums and threads just to pop up and bash the company and or the bikes should get b-slapped anyway. If you don't own a Moto and you're just in here to talk trash about the bikes, company, and people who ride them, then you need to get real/a clue/a life.

DynoDon
    I agree, the Bicycle Baptists that make a mountain out of a molehill want everyone to believe all the bike shops are hurting because of online sales, and online sales are hurting the industry, yet most everyone buys stuff online, DOH!!
    I live in Michigan, and the economy hasn't shut down any shops that I'm aware of, one just opened, so just the opposite, in the worst hit state. Some of the shops here sell online, they just wish they could sell their bikes online, the bike mfgrs won't allow it. Who doesn't buy, and sell stuff online?? There are few products totally made in the USA anymore. The economy has changed for everyone.
    Most people are buying trail bikes, not race bikes, so the online bikes are a great way to go for most. I sure don't need the latest in technology, my Moto's do me just fine, and at my age (64) I still pass people, its not the bike its the training/conditioning that does it.
    Last edited by manabiker; 02-20-2011 at 01:39 PM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeNutsRobot
    I think Mike and his postings on the rest of this site are abrasive and to a large part detrimental to his brands.
    I think you're imagining that.

Mike goes out of his way to carefully defend himself against the idiots on this site who badmouth him yet haven't even done business with BD. Then more idiots get mad because he posts at all. He can't win. You're post is a great example of it - in one breath you say he sells a great product and then you whine about your perception of his tone ? Why do you care ? If you're not a stockholder all you should care about is if they honor your warranty if the bike breaks.

He's done nothing detrimental to his brands. The number of sold out bikes proves that.

mtbr member
    I guess since I don't I don't like some of his actions on this site I must be a Bikesdirect hating whiner. Sorry, I'll go play elsewhere and stop telling people how much I like this;
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=660889
    The Good Times are Killing me

DynoDon
    Are you NUTS, yeah I guess you are GrapeNuts,, well did you really expect all possitive replies? That would be a tough NUT to crack, I had to say that...LOL
    Last edited by manabiker; 02-21-2011 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Mike and Bikes direct are top notch in my book. My brother and my friend both had problems recently and Bikes Direct Reps worked tirelessly to resolve with a complete lack of BS that one would get at most LBS from the stoned employee.(present company excluded) I appreciate their mission to make terrific bikes as affordable as possible. From what I have read, he has replied to stupid comments better than most could. I would like to see what you refer to as I may have missed it, but I suspect he is responding to something that deserves a big “you are an idiot” reply.

Members who have read this thread: 0