Might have a problem with my fantom comp 29er NOW with VIDEO!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Might have a problem with my fantom comp 29er NOW with VIDEO!

I emailed bikesdirect but I wanted to see if I am just missing something. The headset has a pop/creak and you can see the movement that goes with it in the cane creek headset. Is there an adjustment for this or is it just bad and I need a new one? Ill try to post up some video of it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S4HbyfHJPHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by subspd; 02-17-2011 at 05:49 AM.

AZ
    banned
    That does not sound good , are you sure the cups are installed properly . If they are I would suggest that the headset may be damaged somehow . I remember some posts about headsets having to be replaced , so t maybe a continued issue that has manifested itself in yours . No worries though , Mike will make it right .

mtbr member
    I believe the cups are installed correctly I'm not a bike builder and they were installed from the factory. But I can see anything that would suggest they are not installed the right way.

ride for fun
    headset was the first thing i replaced on my phantom pro 29, was doing the same exact thing as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    What exactly did you have it replaced with? How did it cost to have it done?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd
    What exactly did you have it replaced with? How did it cost to have it done?
    I replaced mine with this.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...p+Headset.aspx

I prefer cartidge bearings. I got the lbs to press the cups in for me. They did it for free. I did the rest. Super easy. You can get a good headset for $15 if you look around.

mtbr member
    Well just as an update Mike has been emailing me all day about this and been EXTREMELY helpful! We tried a couple of things and while it improved the situation nothing cured it totally. It looks like I might have overtightened it when installing it. Took it to the LBS today and they were not really any help they just told me it would be $75 to replace it... go figure. Mike decided that even though it may have been my fault (it also could have been defective?) he would send me out a new one first thing in the morning. The local LBS said they would charge $20 to replace it since I don't have the press to take the old one out. I think that is fair.

Thanks Mike for all the help!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd
    It looks like I might have overtightened it when installing it. Took it to the LBS today and they were not really any help they just told me it would be $75 to replace it... go figure.

Did you want the bike shop to replace it for free ?

Bushwacker
    I've removed the pressed cups myself several times. Get a large flat edged screwdriver and work your way around the cup, a few gentle taps at a time, working form the opposite side of the tube. Watch for it to move out and then move to the opposite side. Slow and easy is the key. To install the new ones, use a block of wood, line up the new cup and tap it in. Pretty easy job if you take your time.

You can also make a simple press tool for a few bucks in parts at the hardware store, here's how http://www.instructables.com/id/Inst...set-in-a-bike/
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Did you want the bike shop to replace it for free ?
    No. And I have no Problem paying them to do the work. I was just saying they couldn't tell me if it was damaged or not or why I had the problem. All they did was offer to replace it. I was just trying to get some idea if I had damaged it by overtightening it or if it was defective. Nothing against any LBS...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    I've removed the pressed cups myself several times. Get a large flat edged screwdriver and work your way around the cup, a few gentle taps at a time, working form the opposite side of the tube. Watch for it to move out and then move to the opposite side. Slow and easy is the key. To install the new ones, use a block of wood, line up the new cup and tap it in. Pretty easy job if you take your time.

You can also make a simple press tool for a few bucks in parts at the hardware store, here's how http://www.instructables.com/id/Inst...set-in-a-bike/
    Thanks for the link I wouldn't have a problem putting a new one in I just don't want to damage anything taking the old one out...

Members who have read this thread: 0