Love the bike hate the brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Love the bike hate the brakes

I have a 2010 Ti Fantom Pro with Avid Elixir CR brakes. This is my first nice MTB. I just don't know what to say about how effing annoying these brakes have been. I've tried every adjustment, cleaning and then took them to two different Sram mechanics for a total of 5 shop visits and they still scream so loud it frightens people when I use them. They also lost brake strength every time I brought them in. I'd totally out of ideas here. They work fine...they are just loud as hell. Love everything else about the bike but all it takes is one really crappy part of a bike to make you not want to ride it.

DynoDon
    I have the same brakes, I don't think it's the brakes fault, I've had no problems, they are great, it sounds like you, or one of the mechanics have gotten chain oil/brake clean, or some other contaminate on the rotors/pads, I'd try changing brake pads, then use some alcohol on the rotors, and see if that helps. Those pads are real easy to change.
    Be more careful when you oil your chain or clean it, I had the same problem with some Juicy Threes, now I oil the chain on the lower derailleur pully, I used brake clean on the chain, both the chain oil, and the brake clean may have been my problem. I use chain wax now.
    Good Luck

banned
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was having the same issue on my fantom pro sl about 6 weeks after i got it , after trying to re-align and re-torque the calipers numerous times i finally tried a set of organic pads and it solved the issue i was having , not sure if you have tried them yet ,but it took care of the noise i was getting from mine, hope you get it solved i know from experience how annoying they can be.

mtbr member
    I have the same rig and mine too squealed like a teenage cheerleader till I but some miles on them. If I were to guess I'd say 150 miles or so and several high speed descents later they're completely silent.

O

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How many bikes with disc brakes have you ridden? Squeeling is a problem that I have seen with every disc brake system there is. WIth cleaning and break in it typically will go away eventually.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I had the same issue with my rear brake on my Moto Fantom Pro DS. Same kind of brakes, and same noise. After a couple hundred miles they stopped squealing, but after i get them wet they squeal for some miles again and then go quiet again... w/e. I also had a set of Shimano's on a Cannondale that did that badly but it went away after I got some miles racked up on it.

Some people get different pads or rotors and it takes care of the problem usually.

Rollin 29s
    I had screaming squealing gobbling issues with my Avid Elixir Crs that I couldnt' get rid of. I tried re-bleeding, re-aligning, sanding rotors and pads, chamfering pads, organic and metallic, alcohol cleaning and oven baking pads, more bleeding and more caliper aligning. Nothing worked to keep the squeal away for more than a few rides. When wet, they got a whole lot worse. The vibration that came along with the squealing shook the front wheel so bad that the bike was unrideable if you had to apply the brakes after going through snow or water.

The final attempt at fixing them/ throwing more money at them was to replace the Avid clean sweep crap rotors with Alligator Serration rotors and new metallic pads.

This solved the problem, and from that day back in November 2009 until now I have enjoyed thousands of brake-noise free days of riding.

Bottom line for me is that Avid rotors suck. I don't know if they were sintered incorrectly, poorly stamped, had hard and soft spots, or if they just caused a strange resonance through my frame that other rotors don't. The story is the same for hundreds of riders of Avid brakes. It's not just an anomoly.

My suggestion is don't waste too much time or money trying all of the magic fixes. You probably didn't contaminate the pads with oil. It's probably the usual suspect: Avid's cleansweep rotors. Get yourself some Alligator Serration rotors and be done with it.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65
    It's probably the usual suspect: Avid's cleansweep rotors. Get yourself some Alligator Serration rotors and be done with it.
    I put these on when I assembled the bike (with OEM Avid pads)....zero issues, perfectly quiet, centers easily and stops better than I need.

Skullhead
    Hi everyone I am offering some free samples of Squeal Out Disc Brake Treatment to try to help . I have a 100% fix rate in my bike shop with this product for over 3 years now , maybe it will help some of you . No this is not SPAM . It's a kind offer to help my fellow riders. Happy Thanks giving to all. Marc
    Got disc brake squeal !
    http://www.squealout.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You guys that changed to Alligator rotors,did you have to get new adapters also? I had the same squeal/vibration and replacing the rotors under warranty with the Avid Solid Sweep rotors fixed it somewhat.Vibration is gone but I don't like the look of the solid sweep.

mtbr member
    My experience is similar to ozhoo. After the initial squealing, my brakes are fairly quite.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Blazer
    You guys that changed to Alligator rotors,did you have to get new adapters also? I had the same squeal/vibration and replacing the rotors under warranty with the Avid Solid Sweep rotors fixed it somewhat.Vibration is gone but I don't like the look of the solid sweep.
    I left everything as-is and just exchanged the Clean Sweep rotors with the Alligator rotors.

Something to note:
    Over the past 3 or 4 rides there is one long, technical and very steep downhill section where I am never off of the brakes for more than 2 seconds before getting back on hard. When I get to the bottom, am off the brakes for 10 seconds and then use the brakes, they squeal loudly. At this point there is no doubt that the rotors are 300 or 400 degrees, so it has something to do with that, and also most likely my pads have lots of embedded dust and dirt because I have not cleaned or had them out to inspect for 5 or 6 months. The squeal goes away after about 3 minutes and does not come back until the next time I ride that hill.

Other than that isolated and recurring situation, the Alligator rotors have been perfect.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

DynoDon
    I got my Fantom Team with Avid Elixir CR brakes in July 2010 and haven't had a squeek out of mine, they are great...I have over 700 miles on them now, not a peep!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Same brakes, same problem. Tried everything. Then changed pads AND cleaned rotors at the same time. Problem solved.

puts the FU in fun
    I have the same brakes, and they chirp a bit when it's dusty or when they get really heated up. But from what I understand, it's the rotor design, and Avid has updated it for 2011. I may try Alligators at some point, but my brakes have great feel and no vibrations even when they warble, so it's not a problem.

Plus, they scare the deer off the trail when you night ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just checking in to say that yeah after riding the **** out of them they finally stopped squealing. Cleaning them with alcohol worked for like a day, in the end it just took a lot of use to shut them up. They do constantly need adjustment though, they always end up rubbing. They are both rubbing now but I'm too lazy to do anything about it

mtbr member
    May 2009
    2009 Fantom Team with Elixir CR's. Started squealing after a few hundred miles of riding, when in dry dusty conditions. I tried a million things but didn't change pads or rotors.. Had some success with inner tube wrap on left chainstay. Noise came back though.
    Squeal Out has worked great for me. If it's really dusty and the noise starts to come back (~8 rides), then I re-treat with Squeal Out and they're nice and quiet again. Marc seems like a nice guy too - he shipped super fast and was willing to tell me how to do it but his video was explanation enough.

Members who have read this thread: 0