A little help and advice on a new HT Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

A little help and advice on a new HT Bike

I am trying to replace a mountain bike I bought last year that was stolen this year. I'd like to at the very least buy something comparable to what I had. I had a 09 REI brand Ponderosa, I bought it because the components were really nice SRAM x7s Dart3 shox, etc. But the frame was heavy and it was a 29er.

I never got used to the 29er in the short time I had it. The times I road with a pack I brought up the rear almost completely (this could be because of my shape and not so much the bike). I have a small budget as it is replacing a stolen bike (INS didn't cover squat).

The bikes I'm thinking of are the Moto FLY 9357 http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y_9357_x30.htm and the Fly PRO http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fly_pro_x9.htm other than the obvious 300$ price difference can anyone point the advantage of the ramp up in components? I really liked the SRAM 7s on my old bike.

As an aside what are peoples opinions on the 29ers? I liked mine but keeping up with the pack going up a steep technical trail really was a challenge for me.I love the ride of the tire, just that being the main drawback and that could have been the weight or my ability. Thanks for any help offered!
    -Chris
    Last edited by Behemoth; 04-20-2011 at 10:13 AM.

DynoDon
    I see that the brakes and shifters are different, about 1 lb difference, but the lower priced of the two is Sram so why would you even consider the XTR when you liked the Sram on your old bike, you'd always wonder if you made a mistake, I would think.. I hate to see a post without answers so I answered, LOL good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks again Manabiker. As far as I can tell both are SRAM the 9357 is XO and the PRO is X9. I'm just not familiar with the new SRAM nomenclature so I wonder what else might justify the extra $300, would I even notice a pound difference?

DynoDon
    I was looking at the wrong bike your link didnt' work on the one bike, sorry about that, but the XX and XO are the top of the line on Sram. that would make a difference..

mtbr member
    id do x9....i don't know if the added cost would justify the upgrade. I don't notice much difference between xt and xtr (although I've never owned XTR--just rode a few times to compare).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think I agree with you both 300 bones are not worth the top of the line status. Is the link still not working, I got the tags wrong originally, I'd hoped I fixed them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ah nuts, sold out, should of checked that first. Do they get new stock pretty regularly at BD?

Members who have read this thread: 0