like a 7-year old before Christmas- Mtbr.com
    you never can tell
    Jul 2010

like a 7-year old before Christmas

Hello!

First post, and thought I'd share my excitement about purchasing my first new mountain bike in about 17 years. I just went for a Fantom HT Trail from BD...now I'm waiting like a 7-year old before Christmas!

In shopping for a bike, I'd read as much as I could find on the bikes offered by BD and the company itself (as well as dozens of other brands and sellers). The bottom line was BD offered the most bike for my limited budget. I know that opinions about BD aren't exactly unanimous, and I like to support the LBS when I can, but the price and bike seem right.

Can't wait to ride again! Cheers!

mtbr member
    Congrats
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

S*it Happens!
    Congrats also, if you can post some photos when you receive your new toy, that would be cool!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Congrats... I ordered the same bike yesterday...

Getting excited for sure.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm From where?

I notice that the Fantom HT Trail is SOLDOUT (and has been for some time) on all models.

How are you guys ordering these?

Hmmmm!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MiPedals
    I notice that the Fantom HT Trail is SOLDOUT (and has been for some time) on all models.

How are you guys ordering these?

Hmmmm!
    The only one that's sold out is the 18" slate now. I really wanted slate, but I'll deal with a screaming yellow/black combo for the bike, lol.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_trail08.htm

you never can tell
    Jul 2010
    It's here! Yeah, I'm stoked!

Box arrived via UPS just fine. Assembly was straightforward. Tools needed were:
    • allen wrench set
    • torx wrench set
    • screwdrivers

The only instructions I needed were for adjusting the Avid brakes - I've never had disc before - but they made sense and it's not really rocket surgery anyway.

I'll comment on a few things that I'm sure others have noticed as well:
    • Everything already on the frame was where it should have been, and was already tight. I checked.
    • Derailleurs shifted smoothly, but needed some adjusting.
    • The pedals suck. It's almost as bad as stepping on baseballs attached to the cranks. Gonna replace them.
    • The Dart3 came set rather plush. Liking the long travel so far (compared to the 1-1.5" I have been used to).
    • The brakes stop. Fast. Awesome.
    • The shifters and brake levers needed to be moved inward and rotated around the bar a bit.
    • The chain is well-lubricated, but it appears to be a substance that will act like glue to any debris/dirt. Gotta clean it off and use something better.
    • The grips seem lame - not very "grippy", but I'll ride a while before replacing them.
    • Using my uber-top-secret-advanced-technology bathroom scale and some rather advanced mathematics, I found the bike to weigh 30.6 lbs. w/o reflectors.

Finally, it's the 22" frame, and it fits very well so far. I'm 6' 1.5", 34" inseam w/ shoes, and 195 lbs.

I'll post more pics in the appropriate thread when I get this thing on a trail.

mtbr member
    Cool,

Thanks for posting the pics as well as your assembly write up.
    Wishing you many (s)miles with your new ride.

If you think about it, drop us a line in a few weeks and provide an update>

RIde on!

DynoDon

The Yellow looks good

Congradulations!!! They yellow looks good, I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I do, I just ordered a new Motobecane yesterday a 2010 Fantom Team, my 2009 Fantom Comp will be my back up/loaner. I can't wait, I have Fat Albert tires, Oury Grips, Shimano M-540's, and my wrenches waiting for next week when the box comes.. Happy Trails to you !!!

you never can tell
    Jul 2010

... and if we just ... First two rides

Got two rides on this thing now: Chino Hills State Park (50 minutes worth) and Marshall Canyon (both in SoCal).

Love the bike. It's done everything I've asked it to do, and it's done it well. I mostly enjoy cross-country riding - up, down, rolling, and technical, and this bike does it right.

CHSP was mostly a verification of my lack of fitness, but it was fun nonetheless.

"You gotta be kidding me"

Marshall Canyon was a blast! "alehound" was there, and was kind enough to guide me through and encourage me when I was near my limits going up. Coming down the singletrack was awesome. I'm learning to not worry about what the Dart3 is doing, and to just let it do its job - which it did. I understand it's considered a "budget" fork, but it's working for me. No picks of the ride (too tired going up and too excited going down), but the bike's no longer a virgin.

I did replace the pedals with some big platforms and it made such a big difference in ride quality and confidence. Also, I had the seat go nose-up a couple times. I'll probably be looking for a new seat post since it doesn't seem to matter how much torque I use on the bolt. Live and learn. The brakes performed very well - they were easy to set up and made one-finger braking quite doable. The shifting was spot-on the whole way, even after the bike collected some mud/dust/dirt. The Panaracer FireXC tires are great for this kind of terrain - gripped great, never felt slow, gave me confidence in cornering. Lastly, lock out the fork and this thing is a climbing machine...too bad I'm not. Not yet.

Now I have to clean the bike. Tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Great to hear. I took mine out the other day for its first ride and was impressed. Felt good to get back out.

Tried to hit the best of trails we have within any reasonable drive, and had to leave due to being swarmed by horseflies. I wish I was joking.
    2000 Fuji 1 Diamond full suspension - currently down

2010 Motobecane Fantom HT Trail hardtail

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Dirt..... Dirt is our friend!

I SO miss SoCal!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

Members who have read this thread: 0