Landed my first "big" drop in the Hal6 today...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Landed my first "big" drop in the Hal6 today...

Maybe not big by most people's standards, but it's the largest one I've done so far. Need to keep on practicing and then I want to hit up some local trails called Vietnam down in Milford MA. That place has a ton of crazy stuff to ride on including a ton of drops a lot bigger than this. Can't wait....

mtbr member
    sweet
    2016 Moto Fantom

mtbr member
    Nice. Practice on this one a lot more before going bigger.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks good. What trail system were you at? I'm in Southern NH and ride a lot in Mass, but don't recognize that one.

I'm trying to figure out what caused your front end wobble on the landing. Were you on the front brake a little before your suspension rebounded?

Also on take off, don't think of "pulling the front of the bike up with your arms". Instead, move your hips and shoulders down as you approach and then shift your hips back. Your arms bend as you come down, then extend as your hips move back. You shouldn't have to bend your arms to pull up on the bars. Same as a manual. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWnV4RDzkU

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Russell Mill in Chelmsford. If you haven't ridden there, you should. It's small, but NEMBA does a great job with the trails and there is virtually no flat boring sections, its almost completely packed with fun stuff. Lots of log rides, rocks, rock gardens, etc.

The wobble was a combination of my jerky reaction to the tree coming up ahead, and me being a little off balance.

I was kind of doing the arm lift thing last year, which is when I biffed it, but this year I've switched to "pushing" the front forward over the edge as I come up to it, which has worked much better for me. It feels much more stable and I come off the lip better. I still need to get comfortable clearing drops at low speeds though as I tend to dive the front when I take too long for the back tire to clear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    It's funny though, the more I look at the video, the more it looks like I'm just pulling up on the bar now that you say that

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jrglenni View Post
    Russell Mill in Chelmsford. If you haven't ridden there, you should. It's small, but NEMBA does a great job with the trails and there is virtually no flat boring sections, its almost completely packed with fun stuff. Lots of log rides, rocks, rock gardens, etc.

The wobble was a combination of my jerky reaction to the tree coming up ahead, and me being a little off balance.

I was kind of doing the arm lift thing last year, which is when I biffed it, but this year I've switched to "pushing" the front forward over the edge as I come up to it, which has worked much better for me. It feels much more stable and I come off the lip better. I still need to get comfortable clearing drops at low speeds though as I tend to dive the front when I take too long for the back tire to clear.
    Oooh yeah, now I recognize that drop. It's a little bigger in person than the video makes it look.

With the slower speed drops, definitely practice your wheelies and manuals. That same motion helps you keep your front end level while you wait for the rear tire to drop. You don't have to be able to hold a wheelie/manual for a long time... just lift your front wheel comfortably.

When you're "pushing" the bike out in front of you, you're essentially doing the same thing... moving your hips down and back and extending your arms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Haha tell me about it... I've taken a bunch of GoPro videos lately and they all look pretty underwhelming when you watch them, but in person, the drops and ledges are pretty intimidating! This video was from the same day which looks pretty lame when you watch it, but if you know the spot in question, it's actually a pretty big rock and the small rock that you ride down is nearly vertical. I have several friends that I ride with who have been doing it a lot longer than me and none of them are eager to try it...

https://youtu.be/9_FYSIEddWE

mtbr member