• 09-22-2009
    whizzkidd
    Just ordered a new Fantom Team!
    Man I just picked up a Fantom Team from Bikes Direct and can't wait for Oct 15th (the day it'll ship) to come! I hope this pans out. I'm taking a lot of flack from friends about the purchase, but I'm hoping the bike changes some people's perception of things.

Well, just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself to the MTBR Motobecane family!!
  • 09-22-2009
    jayz28
    Congrats! Don't forget to post some pics when you get it in!
  • 09-23-2009
    whizzkidd
    Will do for sure! I'm hoping it ships early.
  • 09-23-2009
    gdpolk
    I have 2 Motobecane bikes and love them both. The downsides to them are: you don't get to test ride them, they don't help you establish a relationship with the LBS (but if you go in enough then you will do this anyway), they don't have the latest technology in frames like tapered headsets and hydroformed tubes (but this is part of why they are cheap by comparison) and the paint is a little thinner. The good side to them is the cost, you get older, trail proven designs/geometry, and then have a wad of cash left over for other riding gear and trips.

I have a Fantom hardtail as well as a Fantom DS frame and really like both. I just built up my Fantom DS. Both are extremely solid bikes. I am saving for a Ti LeChampion and a Ti Fly 29er now.
  • 10-07-2009
    whizzkidd
    Bike is set to arrive tomorrow. I'll be posting up pics for sure. I've already have some upgrades on the way.
  • 10-07-2009
    Sound Solutions
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpolk
    I have 2 Motobecane bikes and love them both. The downsides to them are: you don't get to test ride them, they don't help you establish a relationship with the LBS (but if you go in enough then you will do this anyway), they don't have the latest technology in frames like tapered headsets and hydroformed tubes (but this is part of why they are cheap by comparison) and the paint is a little thinner. The good side to them is the cost, you get older, trail proven designs/geometry, and then have a wad of cash left over for other riding gear and trips.

I have a Fantom hardtail as well as a Fantom DS frame and really like both. I just built up my Fantom DS. Both are extremely solid bikes. I am saving for a Ti LeChampion and a Ti Fly 29er now.

I actually am looking at the Moto Fantom Pro DS and stopped in to the LBS (Cycle Spectrum) which are Moto dealers as well. They are only 100$ more than bikesdirect.com, they put the bike together AND you get lifetime service for free.The only problem is, they are all douche bags at every location, I might have thought it was just one place/guy, BUT all of them that I went to were the same. A* holes. No customer service,not friendly,"I dont know the price,its not in stcok" (over the phone) etc etc. I will much rather save my $100, pay sales tax bc I live in TX, and order online and do my own maintenance or go else where. www.bikedirect.com :thumbsup: And they respond very fast to their emails!