Just bought a Fantom Pro 29er frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Just bought a Fantom Pro 29er frame

Bought my first hardtail frame/bike and was wondering if I could get some quick input/advice on how to build it up. If I posted in the wrong section I apologize.

I ride mostly XC, fire roads and some pavement for charity events.
    I would like to get some middle of the line parts as light as possible.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

S*it Happens!
    Customize and personalize is one of the fun things about bicycling. Some guys here have built some awesome bikes. However for you and this question. I feel you need to post some more info…like, your build budget and what components if any do you have to start with besides your new frame?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=291415

Try looking here first to get some ideas. Then see what you come up with.

Good Luck!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would like to keep the upgrade to under $1,000 if I don't use old parts.

If I end up selling my .243 frame, I'll take my XTR shifters, brake level and avid mechanical brakes off and put it on this bike.

But I'd still need a fork, seat post, crank, headset, wheels and possibly pedals.

And thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look at all the purdy bikes there and see if I can't piece something together.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by edhu
    I would like to keep the upgrade to under $1,000 if I don't use old parts.

If I end up selling my .243 frame, I'll take my XTR shifters, brake level and avid mechanical brakes off and put it on this bike.

But I'd still need a fork, seat post, crank, headset, wheels and possibly pedals.

And thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look at all the purdy bikes there and see if I can't piece something together.

A $1000 big ones is a lot… I hope you don’t mind me saying. What you paid for the new frame and your $1000 bucks you are almost on you way to getting and new Ti 29er.

With that bike…there is no upgrading needed
    Or at the lest you could of purchased a complete 29er pro sl bike… That would of severed you well for a long time. It already has an excellent fork, brakes, wheelset and so on… Maybe just upgraded some small stuff over time.

It's just how I look at it. Too each it's own...for sure.

You're welcome for the link...
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea it was a bit impulsive but I got the frame for $150. I wasn't sure if I was going to go for a 29er or not and just couldn't resist.

I figure the wheelset alone I would want some arch with hope II's? so thats a few hundred already.

And a set of XT shifters with new brakes (if i were to get all that) is another couple hundred. Not to mention all the other parts I need. So I was just trying to be realistic instead of setting a goal of $500 and going over.

And of course those would be prices for new parts. If I can get my hands on used parts I would go that route as well.

S*it Happens!
    Yea it was a bit impulsive but I got the frame for $150. I wasn't sure if I was going to go for a 29er or not and just couldn't resist.

I figure the wheelset alone I would want some arch with hope II's? so thats a few hundred already.

And a set of XT shifters with new brakes (if i were to get all that) is another couple hundred. Not to mention all the other parts I need. So I was just trying to be realistic instead of setting a goal of $500 and going over.

And of course those would be prices for new parts. If I can get my hands on used parts I would go that route as well.
    I understand being impulsive.

Hell, impulsive is my middle name. I still think you might need to lower your standards a bit if you’re going to keep your $1000 limit.

Just look for a good wheelset… Because with the ones you’re looking at will take more then 40% of your total build budget. If you don’t use your BB7’s or go with new ones. Most anything hydraulic will eat up another 20%-30% more.

Have you looked at forks… They cost a hell of a lot. 45%- 60% of you total build budget. I don’t know man, I would seriously consider purchasing a complete bike before you get too much in the hole. Really, keep the frame and one day when you have more parts laying around then try to build something up.

You should check out the Fantom 29 PRO SL The build is mostly everything you wanted already except for the wheelset. But, you will be saving yourself a whole SH*T load of money.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_SL.htm

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 03-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    if you are patient enough and not in a hurry building it you would be able to build it the way you want it for less than $1000. but if you are not you where better of buying the 29pro sl for less than 1k. just my 2cents.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    +1 to just buy a new Fantom 29er Pro for 1k and sell the frame you just bought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So I just checked out BikesDirect and damn I probably should have gone that route...oh well. Live and learn.

All the Fantom frames are exactly the same? Besides the Ti one of course right?
    Only difference are parts on those bike models right?

Thanks again everyone for making me sad : (
    j/k

S*it Happens!
    So I just checked out BikesDirect and damn I probably should have gone that route...oh well. Live and learn.

All the Fantom frames are exactly the same? Besides the Ti one of course right?
    Only difference are parts on those bike models right?

Thanks again everyone for making me sad : (
    j/k
    Yes, that would be correct… The frames are the same except for the colors and like you mentioned already, the components.

Fantom PRO SL: Comes in Brushed Silver

Fantom 29er PRO: Comes in Matte Slate or Matte Silver

Fantom 29er: Comes in Matte Black or Matte Red

You still can go that route... You didn’t loose anything. You have an awesome frame that you can still build up over time. However if you want a bike that will fall within your budget and you were looking forward to riding a good part of this riding season. The choice is obvious...

Good Luck!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

S*it Happens!
    You didn’t give up…did you? You have that frame so lets build it… What ideas do you have in your head?

You could check this place out for some good deals on parts.

http://bikeisland.com

Come on, lets have some fun!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

S*it Happens!
    A 29er Carbon fiber rigid fork would be cool. Maybe too keep cost down, go with Sram X7derailleur’s & shifters

Here’s a good deal on a wheelset and it comes with tires. http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1568

Also maybe go with a 1x9 or 2x9 crank setup. Reuse your BB7’s and look for those alligators “iwave” rotors in 180mm would look trick. If you go with a 1X9 crank setup you could use your XTR rear derailleur and skip the front one all together and look for some XT shifters. That would be cool!

The way to be happy is to do something different then a stock bike build.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 03-26-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No I have not given up yet.

I am just looking online to find a wheelset that I like and a fork.
    Looking to get a 100MM travel fork with a lockout thats nice and light.

Other then that, I'm just going to reuse the shifters and brakes, handlebar, grips I have currently.
    I need to get a bb/crankset cause I doubt I can use the same one I have.
    After that its just derailleurs.

I'm in no immediate rush since I have my old bike still in tact.
    Also trying to sell my SC Bullit to help with this build.

If you build a wheel, the hubs you use have to be 29er specific? Cause I have my FR wheelset with Kings on them and love them. Would hate to not be able to reuse them.

S*it Happens!
    If you build a wheel, the hubs you use have to be 29er specific? Cause I have my FR wheelset with Kings on them and love them. Would hate to not be able to reuse them.
    I believe 29ers and 26ers use the same size hubs… 100mm hub spacing up front and 135mm hub spacing rear. If your FR hub is the 150mm it wont fit that frame.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

Members who have read this thread: 0