Just bought 09 Fantom Comp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just bought 09 Fantom Comp

I just bought the 2009 Fantom Comp 18". I'll be posting pictures of it when I get it, after I assemble it and after first trail use. It said shipping is from 5-7 days so I'll keep this updated for all interested in buying from bikesdirect. On the bike's page it says that they are out of gloss white but when I click on the dropbox it says 18" low stock gloss white so we'll see how that goes. Anyone know what thats about?

I'm really excited to get my first real mountain bike (I currently have a GT Ruckus that I didn't realize was a DJ bike until last month after owning it for a year). I'll be using this on local trails here in Oklahoma, mostly on a 28 mile 4 trail system at Lake McMurtry near Stillwater, OK. The trails have together three different drops, one at ~2 feet another at ~4 feet and another at ~7 feet. I probably won't be taking the 7 foot drop so I shouldn't have any problems.

I did alot of research on bikes in my price range of $700-$900 and I felt this was by far the better value. I looked at a Giant Yukon, Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Kona Blast, Iron Horse 5.0, Ibex Trophy X7 and several others. The Ibex Trophy X7 was very close in comparison but they would not have it in until mid April and I really didn't want to wait that long for something that has no clear advantage over the Motobecane Fantom Comp.

I can't wait to get it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Congrats!
    Similar thing happened to me. I was looking for the Fantom Team but one time I clicked on the drop down and all sizes were sold out. Now when I click on the drop down it shows my 20 inch Large available. Guess I need to just go put some money on one.
    Keep us posted.
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Congrats!
    I was in a similar situation, after pricing out Trek and Specialized at my local LBS, it was no contest. My Fantom Pro DS is scheduled for delivery today, exactly 7 days from the day I ordered.

-Jay

Dec 2008
    I've had my Fantom Elite DS for a few months (500 miles) and it has been fantastic. Some of my buddies have Santa Cruz bikes (SL & Blur) and they've had good things to say after riding mine. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Shipping has been updated and UPS has it scheduled to be delivered this Friday, I ordered it this Tuesday. If that is when it arrives I'll be very impressed

mtbr member
    it was delivered but unfortunately i had to leave town 30 minutes before it was delivered according to the UPS website. on sunday ill be back and will be taking pictures ect.

mtbr member
    So after a little blood, some stupidity and a little time I got the bike put together. I haven't ridden it at all yet because I'm going to take to LBS to get tuned and to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

Out of the box there wasn't much padding but everything was wrapped up well so there are no scratches and it looks great!

I'll post again after my first ride

In the box

As you can see not much padding

The bike!

Frame

Rear Brake

Front brake/ fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Way to go! Nice bike. That white really looks clean. So when you get it from the LBS go get it dirty!
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

Sep 2008
    SA99,

Cool looking bike! I'm looking at getting one of their ds frames and changing some stuff off a hardtail I have!

We will be on the East side of McMurtry this Sunday at 10am come out and let us look over your bike!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinstar
    SA99,

Cool looking bike! I'm looking at getting one of their ds frames and changing some stuff off a hardtail I have!

We will be on the East side of McMurtry this Sunday at 10am come out and let us look over your bike!!!!

I would love to but the church thing ya know

mtbr member

First Ride

Had my first ride on it a couple of hours ago; I love it. Its fast, great on tech and is very nimble. I had no problems with it at all, it shifted smoothly, the brakes are great and the pedals seem to turn themselves.

I went to Lake McMurtry with the intention of riding just the SE trail (fairly easy 7 miles) but ended riding the NE trail also (tough trail also 7 miles). I was 20 minutes quicker than usual, I don't know if thats because of the training in anticipation for getting it or because of how quick it is, probably both, and the adrenaline of riding it for the first time. It was the best ride I've had by far and I'm looking forward to more opportunites to get it dirty.

After falling in love with it (after the ride)

Sep 2008
    Sweet lookin bike!

We usually ride all four so come on out.!

Members who have read this thread: 0