Jubilee DLX impressions- Mtbr.com

Apr 2008

Jubilee DLX impressions

Just got my Jubilee DLX from BikesDirect.com. Let me preface this by saying I'm not a shill like so many on mtbr get accused of if they say anything positive about these bikes. I live in Ottawa, for those of you who don't know, thats in Canada, far from Texas where BD is located.

So anyway, I finally got my bike in a big cardboard box. Took everything out, and once I found my hex driver set, I had the whole thing together in about 30 minutes. Almost crapped my pants when I thought they forgot to pack the seatpost.. then I realized it was zip-tied to the side of the top tube

Let me first say that out of the box, everything was already tuned pretty good. The rear derailleur needs some fine tuning, but other than that everything else worked fine as it was right out of the box.

The fit & finish of this bike is superb for a bike in this price range. The paint job is great, the shifters & brakes work very well, and the bike is very comfortable. The stem feels very solid and is emblazoned with the Motobecane logo on it, as are the handlebars, seat, & of course the frame.

There is no doubt that this is a comfort bike & not a MTB. It has RST Capa T7 forks, which are wonderful going down a set of concrete stairs, up/down curbs, etc. The preload adjustments don't do crap though. You will bottom out on 2-3' drops, but generally you don't take comfort bikes off stuff like that very often.

All-in-all, I'm very satisfied with how far my $400 went. The only thing I don't care for on this bike is that the cable stays run across the top of the top tube. This is going to be a great riding season! I'll post some pics of the bike posed on the Ottawa River Trail over the weekend.

Apr 2008

Update

I wanted to write a quick update:

Sorry for no pics yet, been too busy riding when the weather cooperates!

So far I have put about 130 miles on the bike. The first thing to go were the pedals. They were standard $5 crap, and the left pedal kept making a popping sound on the upswing of the crank. I bought some studded Wellgo's at the local bike shop and they are a huge improvement.

I had to get the bike tuned up at around 50 miles because the rear hub got way too much play in it, plus it was about time I got the deraileurs tuned up. Now this thing shifts perfectly, and the wheels are solid.

I went on a 30 mile ride this past Saturday, and on level streches of asphalt trail I averaged about 18Mph without much effort.

I will get some pics posted up this weekend if the weather cooperates! Promise!

Apr 2008
    Nice bro, can't wait to see them pics. I almost bought the wellgo pedals (B57) but I got a great deal on the easton flatboys. Are you tuning your own bike?

Apr 2008
    I don't have the special open-ended wrenches you need to re-tension the hubs so I took it to the local trail shop who did the hub & derailleurs for $20. I did do my brakes though :P

I watched a youtube video on adjusting hubs but I didn't want to go out & buy the tools, then risk messing it up and having to take it into a shop anyway!

Aug 2009
    I am thinking of buying a Jubilee DLX from BikesDirect. Yours is the only review about this bike I could find on the web. Are you still happy with the bike?

Members who have read this thread: 0