I put my Fantom Team together. I got few ?'s- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! I put my Fantom Team together. I got few ?'s

I finally got my bike assembled after two weeks of being out of town. All looked good except for a little spot on the left crank arm. Looks like it got worn down and rubbed against something during the shipping process. The box was roughed up a bit.

But any ways, I set up the shocks and pumped the fork up according to my weight(200 lbs.). And about 20-25% sag on the rears with me sitting on it. I'm still trying to dial in the rebound adjustments. But my question is about the lockouts. When I Press the remote lockout for the forks all the way down, isn't it suppose to lock out?

And for the rears, it seems that there is no difference between the minimum and maximum floodgate setting at all. I have the A tuned model, which I understand is the light tuned model. So does that mean that at what ever setting it is at, it will always move, and not completely lockout?

My other question is the fork is advertised as 120 mm travel. Is it already set up for 120mm out of the box? I ask because there were also what appears to be spacers that were included.
    Sorry for the long post. Any help negative or positive will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by laztpn0i; 06-10-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I have no experience with rear suspension, but I can answer the fork questions...

The lockout will not make the fork fully rigid, there will be some travel in the event you take a big hit. This is to protect the fork from blowing out. Properly set up, it will stiffen up plenty to prevent any bobbing when standing or climbing.

You can check the travel by letting all the air out and measuring just like you do for measuring sag, but since you have the spacers in hand, I suppose it's already at full travel.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    The lockout will not make the fork fully rigid, there will be some travel in the event you take a big hit. This is to protect the fork from blowing out. .
    This also applies to rear shocks. No such thing as 100% lockout. Most FS bikes will have at least some amount of pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply guys! I know that the shocks will not lockout at 100%. But how much movement is acceptable? Because I can literally push down about 2 inches on the front shocks with lock out effortlessly. Again there is no difference between wide open and lockout that I feel. Are there any other Fantom Team owners or someone with the same shocks out there with recommended settings? I just need an idea as a base point. And hopefully these shocks aren't faulty.

mtbr member
    do you have a shock pump?
    make sure the fork is inflated to the correct pressures for your weight plus all your riding gear

read the instructions carefully before doing this...

check the instructions at www.sram.com

also there are videos on youtube -
    found it for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eW-5A2wbbc
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You can also adjust the lock out on the front shock with the dial on the pop lock remote, it makes a big difference for me. If you want full 5" of rear travel you need to make sure the shock is attached to the holes closest to the seat stay. My bike came in the middle 4" travel setting. I noticed the rear shock lock out makes a much bigger difference in the 5" position.

Members who have read this thread: 0