I love my XTR 29er Ti but...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I love my XTR 29er Ti but...

the seat clamp is absolute garbage! I've tried everything, and the bolt is tightened to the extent that the gap the bolt goes through isn't even parallel anymore. Yet, after 10 minutes of riding, the seat tube slips.

I can understand cutting cost on the cranks (substantial savings I assume vs. XTR), but the seat clamp and the foam grips aren't excusable. The really narrow bars...I can understand because I assume the savings there might be significant too.

Anyone experience the same thing with that damn seat clamp?

Salsa red clamp on order...can't wait to swap it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yep, seat post slips. Not as bad as yours but I adjusted it, rode it and it seemed fine. The second time out, I adjusted up again (must not have moved it enough, I thought). On the third ride, it happened again. I haven't taken a good look at it yet,as I had forgotten all about it until just now. Need to do that...........

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mine seems solid with my new Thomson seatpost. It slipped a bit with the factory post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I finally got around to looking at the slipping seat post issue on my bike. I cranked down my seat clamp pretty hard and now the seat post is solid. There is still a good 3/16 of an inch gap in the clamp, so I'm not having the same problem as you. I just didn't crank it down enough before. I don't have my calipers at the house so I can't measure the seat post but my guess is either you got a bad clamp or your seat post diameter is on the small side of the tolerance range. You'll know for sure when you get your new clamp, if the post slips then, you might consider shimming the seat post (if you want to save a few bucks).
    Last edited by motox72; 05-10-2011 at 05:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would love my XTR 29er Ti if I actually had one. I'm doing my research and will be purchasing one within the next few months.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog
    I would love my XTR 29er Ti if I actually had one. I'm doing my research and will be purchasing one within the next few months.
    In addition to cost of bike, make sure you have extra $ for:
    • Potentially new stem
    • New normal width bars
    • Grips, unless you like foam grips
    • Seat clamp and maybe seat post
    • In the longer run, I want to swap out the cranks. Tried to find chainrings for FSA 386 crank - virtually impossible.

Otherwise, still a great bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got new Easton Monkeylite bars + stem + grips for $90 at Jensen and the Thomson seatpost for $90. Everything else is great on my Ti 29er, and the ride is amazing! At some point FSA 386 chainrings will be available (it's a new design), and it'll be easy to swap out my 30t small ring for a 27t which will make it perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just got my salsa 32.0 seat clamp and put it on. I know why the seat post kept slipping. It's because that damn silver colored one was a 34!!! WT?!?

daves4mtb - well, to make it rideable - it was always rideable. I have short torso, so the stem change was unique for me. As for the bars - you can get some cheap one's for $20. My friend gave me some niner bars so that's what I have on there now, and my salsa clamp costed me $10 from my lbs. Also bought some Origin 8 ergo grips - paid $20 for that. And waiting for some Ti J&L skewers - ebay $13.65 with shipping (more vanity than anything).

It rides very nice. Very happy with it overall - just pee'd about the stupid little stuff. Foam grips...that was what I had on my BMX when I was a kid for a little while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Smile 22" bars

I just got my 15.5" Fly Ti 29nr, the bars are so short that my hands go numb. I definately need to get wider bars, should the bars be wider on a 29nr than on a 26 bike? If so what length of bar do you put on your 29nr. I am 5'6, not sure if that matters or not. Thanks.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chriswilson View Post
    I just got my 15.5" Fly Ti 29nr, the bars are so short that my hands go numb. I definately need to get wider bars, should the bars be wider on a 29nr than on a 26 bike? If so what length of bar do you put on your 29nr. I am 5'6, not sure if that matters or not. Thanks.
    The width of the bar is up to you, whatever feels best, not 29er specific.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Had a little slippage at first on my build with the stock clamp and a thomson post. Switched to a thomson clamp and hasn't slipped since. You just need a good clamp that isn't made out of play-dough alloy. Thomson clamp isn't weight weenie light, or cheap, but i think you could tighten it to the point of crushing the post if you aren't careful. Its stout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    mine slips even with a thomson post and surly ss clamp. this has gone on for a year now. im done

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Use the grit compound for carbon fiber seatposts. That should solve the problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper10 View Post
    Use the grit compound for carbon fiber seatposts. That should solve the problem.
    +1000

Carbon Fiber Assembly Paste. Like this. Never slip again.

Seriously.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, I sent a note to bikesdirect about the slipping seatpost problem, and they sent me a "problem solver" two piece seatpost clamp. Problem is not officially gone, but I really dislike the aesthetic of the two piece clamp. I purposely bought a red Salsa claimp to give it that hint of red here and there, but now, I can't use my Salsa. Oh well, I guess "no slip" > "looks".

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    +1000

Carbon Fiber Assembly Paste. Like this. Never slip again.

Seriously.
    Three questions:
    1. So the carbon stuff works for alu / Ti as well?
    2. And is the finish line the brand you'd recommend?
    3. Will the seatpost get stuck so that you will never be able to pull it out?

Members who have read this thread: 0