I just found a screaming deal on a Fantom DS on Ebay!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I just found a screaming deal on a Fantom DS on Ebay!

I was going to get the Fantom Team when it came availible again and was looking on ebay for a spare deraileur hanger for it when I stumbled across this...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Bone stock Fantom Pro DS for $1,100 BIN or $975 opening bid. I clicked BIN. That $800 can go a long ways towards upgrades and repairs. I know I will want new tires just because the only tire I ride on is a Panaracer Fire XC Pro and I will also need to get some pedals. I should be able to add XTR pedals and some nice tires for $200 putting the whole bike at $1300. Damn I love the MB prices. $1300 at the LBS wouldn't get a full suspension bike worth anything. It could buy a decent hardtail, but not even a hardtail as nice as what this full suspension bike is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Congrats! I would also recommend swapping out the stock handle bars. Those things weigh a ton. I'm loving my Pro DS so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Right now I have new tires on the way, I am waiting to find a good deal on some pedals and in the mean time I can move my clips from my hardtail over and use platforms on my hardtail. I have also bid on a Thomson stem and seatpost on Ebay and am debating putting some Easton MonkeyLite bars or nice aluminum ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well I finally am getting my bike dialed in. I have right at $1650 in it for the Fantom Pro DS and have bought new Race Face cranks and bottom bracket, new Lizard Skins Peaty lock on grips, a new white Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow saddle, new XTR pedals, a new Crank Brothers Joplin Remote adjustable seat post, and new Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires (166 tpi) with the red side walls that look killer and perform fantastic. I will eventually change out to carbon bars, a Thomson stem, and either a Thomson post or maybe a Joplin adjustable post.

I feel like I have done really well to get the bike plus all those upgrades for $1650. The only other upgrades left will be to put a Thomson stem and Easton MonkeyLite bar on there but I will wait for those items until later.

Getting the bike used on ebay really let me build up a super solid bike for cheap. To have a bike this nice for under $1700 is amazing.
    Last edited by gdpolk; 09-09-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Very nice bike. Whenever you get some more time in the saddle could you write a review about the bike. I have always considered one, but I could not find anything about about the wheels and hubs. I am also a fan of the Fire XC pros. Those are the most predictable tires I've used. 1,100 for a 25 pound full suspension bike is a steal.

Why did you change the cranks?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like the Race Face cranks and wanted something a tad stiffer. I got an absolute steal on the original bike and then all the extra stuff was just decent deals. All in all I have a kick ass bike for less than $1.7K so that is really nice.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdpolk
    I like the Race Face cranks and wanted something a tad stiffer. I got an absolute steal on the original bike and then all the extra stuff was just decent deals. All in all I have a kick ass bike for less than $1.7K so that is really nice.
    Thanks for the fast reply. I am just trying to gather information because I have always considered one of these bikes and I was trying to think of the total cost after replacing bits and pieces. I completely agree that you got an awesome bike at a good cost. You have a completely custom bike for a great price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Honestly the only parts that in my opinion needed changed were the grips and the tires. The foam grips just suck, they are on there for weight. Change the tires to a tire that suits your particular terrain the best. Tires are very much a personal preference component kind of like saddles. While the stock saddle isn't the greatest I do think that it would work for just about anyone and be OK. Most of the other upgrades I did were for very minor performance gains per dollar spent. If I hadn't have gotten such a good deal on the bike from eBay I would simply have changed the grips, tires, added pedals and been completely happy. It just turns out though that I had saved for the Fantom Team and was waiting on them to get back in stock when I saw the deal on eBay and jumped on it. Since I had an extra $800 to blow on biking stuff already saved I went through the bike upgrading it to the ultimate specs for my purposes and bought a couple other biking accessories like a couple CamelBaks, new gloves, a couple tools, etc.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Honestly the only parts that in my opinion needed changed were the grips and the tires. The foam grips just suck, they are on there for weight. Change the tires to a tire that suits your particular terrain the best. Tires are very much a personal preference component kind of like saddles. While the stock saddle isn't the greatest I do think that it would work for just about anyone and be OK. Most of the other upgrades I did were for very minor performance gains per dollar spent. If I hadn't have gotten such a good deal on the bike from eBay I would simply have changed the grips, tires, added pedals and been completely happy. It just turns out though that I had saved for the Fantom Team and was waiting on them to get back in stock when I saw the deal on eBay and jumped on it. Since I had an extra $800 to blow on biking stuff already saved I went through the bike upgrading it to the ultimate specs for my purposes and bought a couple other biking accessories like a couple CamelBaks, new gloves, a couple tools, etc.
    Thanks for the honest review of the bike. I bet the tires are on there for the weight as well. I'm not sure what tires some stock, but I've seen some very small super light tires speced on a few of their bikes. I don't blame you for upgrading the bike to the ultimate spec since you already had the money. Like I mentioned earlier let me know about the wheelset. We have a lot of rocks, roots, and amazing amount of mud from wet equestrian use in the early summer here. These conditions cause me to be a little hesitate a little about getting a wheelset I cannot find a lot of information about. I would love to get a review of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was worried about the wheels as well when I bought it. It seems that they hold up ok for most everybody from what I have read. I can say that I have only put a few miles on mine so I can't attest to their durability too well. I can say that I have a set of M960 XTR hubs laced to Mavic 517 rims on my steel hardtail. These wheels run just as smooth and the hubs engage just a tad faster. I have taken them on two small drops thus far; one was about 1.5 feet and taken at probably 10 mph the other was about 2 feet and taken at about 15 mph. They held up fine on those. We have lots of smaller rocks where I ride that the tires constantly get pushed to the side by and so far they have held true for me. I am not a huge guy though, with gear I come in at about 170-180 and ride mostly xc type singletracks.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I was worried about the wheels as well when I bought it. It seems that they hold up ok for most everybody from what I have read. I can say that I have only put a few miles on mine so I can't attest to their durability too well. I can say that I have a set of M960 XTR hubs laced to Mavic 517 rims on my steel hardtail. These wheels run just as smooth and the hubs engage just a tad faster. I have taken them on two small drops thus far; one was about 1.5 feet and taken at probably 10 mph the other was about 2 feet and taken at about 15 mph. They held up fine on those. We have lots of smaller rocks where I ride that the tires constantly get pushed to the side by and so far they have held true for me. I am not a huge guy though, with gear I come in at about 170-180 and ride mostly xc type singletracks.
    Glad to hear they've held up on the drops. We have a few of those around here and you either have to stop or hit the drop. They're a foot or a foot and a half high. Since my conditions are really rough combined with mud I need to read up on the wheelset. Glad to hear they're holding up fine so far though. With my weight and gear,not including the bike, I would weigh about 170 so that's a good comparison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I too have a Phantom Pro DS, and I am pleasanlty surprised by how bomber the wheels are. I don't do huge drops, but 1 footers are ubiquitous where I ride, and rock gardens with fairly large rocks are everywhere too but I've got all my original spokes and the rims are true enough too!

I love the FSA crankset too!

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbaysurfer
    I too have a Phantom Pro DS, and I am pleasanlty surprised by how bomber the wheels are. I don't do huge drops, but 1 footers are ubiquitous where I ride, and rock gardens with fairly large rocks are everywhere too but I've got all my original spokes and the rims are true enough too!

I love the FSA crankset too!
    How long have you owned the bike/wheelset? It's great your wheels are holding up good. Your riding conditions sound similar to mine. I have heard mixed reviews thus far so I'm a little skeptical. I'll try to post some pictures of my trails and if you don't care post a few pictures of your trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have only owned mine for about a month - month in a half. I don't have any photos of my trails since I never ride with a camera. I won't be able to head out for another ride for two weeks either though. I am in college and mid-terms are coming up Wed-Fri next week. So, after this last weekend I have started studying for them and won't be able to go play until they are complete. I always hate mid-terms and finals because you always have really big tests in every class all at once. It doesn't provide the opportunity to really study right and do well. I had a professor for Organic Chemistry that realized this and he gave the class the option on the first day of class to work really super fast through the material and finish 1 week before mid-terms and then have the whole week of mid-terms off and then work really hard and fast and finish 1.5 weeks before finals then get out for all of the week before finals or go at a regular pace and have tests at the normal schedule. We voted for the hard/fast version so we didn't have to study for that class along with all the others and it really helped. I liked that teacher a lot because he was always real with you and was always looking for ways like that to help.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I don't have any pictures of the rough areas of my trails. I'm also going through mid terms, but they should be done this week. Thanks for the update gdpolk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    How long have you owned the bike/wheelset? It's great your wheels are holding up good. Your riding conditions sound similar to mine. I have heard mixed reviews thus far so I'm a little skeptical. I'll try to post some pictures of my trails and if you don't care post a few pictures of your trails.
    Unfortunately since so many of our local trails have been burned by the fires that last few years (Tea, Gap and Jesusita Fires) I can't ride up there and snap a few pics. I'm also on the road til the 18th so if you're still interested, I'll take some pics when I get back of a couple of the open trails.

I did find this pic though online, and it's a section of tunnel that my wheels have negotiated on many occasions. It's also pretty indicative of trails around here.

I've got about 150 miles of this type of riding on the wheels FYI, I've also done several days at the mammoth bike park doing the single blacks (double blacks are far better suited for a DH bike which I don't have) where I've negotiated some pretty big/steep rock gardens. My riding style is to get my balance set, carry my momentum and trust my bike/suspension.

Here's the pic of Tunnel it's straight off of google so sorry for the long url:

https://images.google.com/imgres?img...S_enUS285US286

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbaysurfer
    Unfortunately since so many of our local trails have been burned by the fires that last few years (Tea, Gap and Jesusita Fires) I can't ride up there and snap a few pics. I'm also on the road til the 18th so if you're still interested, I'll take some pics when I get back of a couple of the open trails.

I did find this pic though online, and it's a section of tunnel that my wheels have negotiated on many occasions. It's also pretty indicative of trails around here.

I've got about 150 miles of this type of riding on the wheels FYI, I've also done several days at the mammoth bike park doing the single blacks (double blacks are far better suited for a DH bike which I don't have) where I've negotiated some pretty big/steep rock gardens. My riding style is to get my balance set, carry my momentum and trust my bike/suspension.

Here's the pic of Tunnel it's straight off of google so sorry for the long url:

https://images.google.com/imgres?img...S_enUS285US286
    Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your trails getting burned by fires. I'm not in a hurry for the pictures. I've been debating on a getting a new wheelset and this is one of the wheelsets I've been looking at. I would like to get a new wheelset this winter or sometime early next year so I'm not in a hurry. I want to do some research before making a big purchase. Thanks for the link.

Members who have read this thread: 0