How's your sliding d/o Outcast holding up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

How's your sliding d/o Outcast holding up?

Thinking about buying a Outcast 29 frame to build up a winter bike.
    If you have one....how is the sliding drop out working out?
    Any problems or things to watch for?
    thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Greetings Mayor,

Don't have too much time on mine, but I will say that if you intend on running the shortest chain stay length possible the weld bead could be of concern. The welds are not the greatest and protrude above the surface where the sliding dropout contacts and can severely limit alignment and adjustment of the dropout.

And continuing with weld quality, if you are going to run an external BB, it is adamant you face the BB as more welding can creep onto where the surfaces mate; crucial you face it.

Lucky for me my "lbs" faced my BB and headtube for only 15 bucks.

Bryan D
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the info.
    Are you running geared or SS? ( I plan on running geared)
    With the drop outs slid forward...how is tire clearance?

mtbr member
    I am running single-speed, but I have performed a dry run without the chain and the slides slammed most of the way (again the welds) and tire clearance was not an issue with my CST 2.2s. If you are running wider tires then you might have some issues however.

What tires are you running?

Bryan D

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll probably have Nokian studs on most of the time to use on frozen snowmobile trails.
    The biggest tire I have is a Rampage...but really like Bontrager ACX 2.2s that I have.

Like I said ...it's going to be a winter bike...just ordered the frame from bikeisland and throwing it together with stuff I have laying around including a Fox F29 G2 fork.
    I have a Lenz Lev 4 that I ride...but want to save it from the winter salt getting to the trail head...and I really don't need full suspension on snowmobile trails.

Do you have a rough idea what the frame weighs?

mtbr member
    Sorry, no clue on the frame weight. E-mailed bikeisland and bikesdirect and they are just as lazy as I am in getting it weighed.

Post pics when you are done!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well...I'll try to break my busy schedule and weigh it before I build it.
    I figure for $200...and I have all the parts laying around...it will be a good winter and dirt road bike( when it get's too buggy and hot in the summer...I have some dirt road loops with 4k of climbing)

mtbr member
    Hey Mayor,

Did you get around to measuring the frame weight?

I was doing some chain adjustments and found a new gripe with the frame. The 3 bolts on each side really chew up their clamping area; steel-bolt vs aluminum and it is quite obvious who wins. Going to be more careful when tightening the bolts from now on.

Still loving it though.

Bryan d

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ended up getting a Canfield Yelli Screamy. finishing the build now while it dumps snow outside.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well even though you already answered your own question, I feel like chiming in anyway for anyone who comes across this thread later:

I've had mine for about 6 months and have never taken it easy on it (it's my abuse bike, heavy trail riding, Dirt Jumping, some urban fr) and it has shown no signs of giving out. The welds on MY frame look good, but I'm sure the QC there isn't the best. I noticed the Sliding Dropout is quite a bit more difficult to get good tension with than track ends. But I love mine, seems to take a beating.

Oh yeah. the frame weights about 5lbs. a lotta bit heavy for an aluminum frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0