• 08-19-2009
    gdpolk
    How are the wheels on the Fantom Team?...Vuelta XRP Team Editions?
    I have saved up for quite a while and will be buying the Fantom Team as soon as they are in stock again. Then the next bike will be either a Ti road bike since I have no roadie or a Ti Fly 29er but that doesn't matter much. I already know that I will be selling off the XTR rear derailleur and shifters in lieu of X.0. I like Sram's 1:1 ratio as it isn't quite as sensitive to being dirty as Shimanos 2:1 cable pull ratio. I will also be looking to add an Easton CNT riser bar and either a carbon seat post and stem or a Thomson seat post and stem.

The only other components that may be a problem are the wheelset. What has been your experience with the wheels? Do they hold up well and the hubs engage quickly when you mash down?
  • 08-19-2009
    ljsmith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpolk

The only other components that may be a problem are the wheelset. What has been your experience with the wheels? Do they hold up well and the hubs engage quickly when you mash down?

I have two sets of these wheels. In general a 1600g low spoke count wheelset is not going to be too durable. However I found that the wheels are pretty strong. I have put over a 1000 miles on one wheelset and they are still perfectly true. I weigh 190 and I ride XC and trail. So I am not doing any crazy jumps or drops on them. My friend was so impressed by them that he bought a set for his bike. I actually like mine so much that I just installed a set of ceramic bearings from Boca bearings. The only thing I see as a problem is that the alloy freehub is easily damaged if you cassette it not very tight. I damaged on of my freehubs, and unfortunately the only replacements are steel ones. Which while they are much stronger, are about 80g heavier.
  • 08-19-2009
    S.O.B.
    I also own two of these wheelsets. One on my 2008 Fantom Team and one on my 2009 Soul Cycles SS. I originally purchased a strong, tried and true Mavic 717/XT hub wheelset for the SS but ended up selling them and getting a 2nd set of the Team Superlites. It is hard to beat the combination of weight, strength and price.
    I will say that twice I have broken spokes over the last year. Both were on wet rides where I slid into the side of a rock one time and then a gnarly tree stump. I would like to think that any spokes would have bent or broke, but you give up some strength for the weight, and the bladed spokes certainly are not meant to take that type of force from a horizontal angle.
    I also have replaced (& upgraded) the bearings in the rear wheel of the original set that came on my Fantom Team as it recently felt just a bit rough (though probably still fine).
    I am 5'8" 162lbs and I hit small to medium jumps and drops and hit roots and rocky sections hard. I have now done a few XC races on these wheels as well and have complete confidence in them. I have not had a problem with the wheels going out of true at all and could not be more pleased with them thus far.

I know I come of sounding like the Sham-Wow infomercial guy; but like you, I was originally skeptical of the wheelset on this bike, but have turned out pleasantly surprised.
  • 08-21-2009
    trebor_strebor
    i have close to 2K miles on a set and they seen to actually be fairly good wheels. I have broken 2 spokes on the rear. One I don't know when/how it broke. The other I was cranking through a rocky section on Squirrel Gap in Pisgah and popped off a rock sideways with the tire and the spoke went "boioioioinnngggg" when it snapped off at the J-bend. I kept on riding it for the remainder of the day.

i replaced those spokes and am still rolling right along.
  • 08-21-2009
    arm017
    I don't mean to steal the forum, but I hope my questions and experience can help to answer your question. I was actually about to start a thread about this, but it is fairly close to your question.

I have a question to other vuelta wheelset owners: My team superlites just as everybody else has commented seem to be ok, but I do have a concern with them. I have less than 200 miles on them, my front wheel actually got out of true after some fairly simply singletrack (50 miles maybe). However as I true my wheels, they seem to be out of true at the weld. Like where the weld is on the wheel, I simply cannot true it out no matter what I do with the spokes. You almost cannot even call it a wobble when you see it on the stand, but it is noticeable to me. Has anyone else experienced this or noticed this?

Should I bring them back to my shop (Cycle Spectrum) who actually sold me my Fly Team Ti for some warranty work? Or Just ride on throwing my OCD to the wayside? Mike, have you heard anybody talking about this? I know you stand by Vuelta, and I really do like them, but would appreciate any body else's experience.
  • 08-23-2009
    ljsmith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by arm017
    IShould I bring them back to my shop (Cycle Spectrum) who actually sold me my Fly Team Ti for some warranty work? Or Just ride on throwing my OCD to the wayside? Mike, have you heard anybody talking about this? I know you stand by Vuelta, and I really do like them, but would appreciate any body else's experience.

Since you live close to a Cycle Spectrum, it seems like a no brainer to take them in and have them look at them. I don't have any out of true issues at all with a lot of miles. I also see no problems at the weld area.