How much for a LBS to put together motobecane pieces from BD- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How much for a LBS to put together motobecane pieces from BD

I've been looking for a HT 29er and there is nothing even close to BD prices for the Motobecane 29ers. So I'm tempted to get one, but I'm sure I won't be able to put all the pieces together, since I have no experience doing that, so even if I'm able to I would do bad work...

So I believe I would have to get a LBS doing that for me... do you guys know if this is possible? I've look over the web but there is price for things like tune-up, individual pieces installation. Anyone have any idea if someone would do that for me, or if there is any chance for someone with no experience doing bike services to be able to do it?

DynoDon
    Most shops will put it together and adjust it, probably from $30 to $60. Its not that hard to put together, the adjusting, tightening, checking things good is the stuff a GOOD bike shop can do for you. Ask around, maybe buy some things like a helmet, shoes, gloves, multi tool, camelback, tire irons, pump, shorts, etc. if you don't know how to work on a bike you will be a regular customer until you learn, ask around to find a good shop, one you want to do business with.
    Watch them when they do work for you, go to Youtube for tips, buy Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Its so easy a caveman could do it, follow this link.
    http://tinyurl.com/4y7ehla

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X
    Its so easy a caveman could do it, follow this link.
    http://tinyurl.com/4y7ehla
    LOL that was awesome

mtbr member
    Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
    Purchased it before I even got my bike to get some basic knowledge about repair,etc.It is a very nice addition to my tool box.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback... seems like I would be able to put it together, maybe I will need some specific tuneup and I can take the bike to the LBS in that case!

btw, nice link Admin_X

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81
    thanks for the feedback... seems like I would be able to put it together, maybe I will need some specific tuneup and I can take the bike to the LBS in that case!

btw, nice link Admin_X
    I just put one together yesterday. 2 hours, but I torqued every fastener on the bike and it took me a little bit to tune the brakes and the front derailleur. I haven't worked on a bike in a very long time, and it was a breeze.

5mm allen wrench, phillips screwdriver for the derailleur tuning, 18t torx for the disc, and a 15mm open end wrench for the pedals is about all you need.

AZ
    banned
    Put anti sieze or grease on the pedal threads when you build, they can gaul or sieze otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Got my Moto Fantom Comp DS two weeks ago. The bike comes almost fully assembled. The seatpost, the handlebars (the grips, shifters and brake levers were attached and the lines were run), the front disc brake caliper, the front tire (and skewer), and the pedals were the only pieces that were not assembled.

I have a good amount of tools, but it only took a few pieces. Two good torque wrenches (3-30Nm and 16-140Nm) and four socket bits (T-25 Torx, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm Allen). For the disc brake caliper bolts front and rear (just the two that hold the caliper to the frame), the disc rotor bolts front and rear, and the pedals, I recommend Locktite Threadlocker Blue (NEVER use red!!).

I swapped out the seat (for a Selle SMP Pro), the pedals (for DeoreXT's), and the chain (for XTR). The chain required only a chain tool to install. Zip ties took care of the cyclocomputer and GPS mount.

Have fun with it!!

Members who have read this thread: 0