How are all the MOTOs, WINDSORs or DAWES holding up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

How are all the MOTOs, WINDSORs or DAWES holding up?

Hi. I'm new to MTB and I'm seriously thinking of getting either the dawes HM1500, moto 600HT, or windsor cliff 4900 (or maybe even a trek 3700disc). I just wanted to chime in and see how everyone's rigs are holding up and handling abuse. I think BD uses quality components and I'm pretty sure that most of the prices can't be beaten. Any weak points on any of these models that I should be skeptical about? Any info you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'll be doing mostly trail/XC riding, no really hardore stuff yet.
    Thanks and sorry for being a NOOB!
    Erik

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I asked myself the same question that you did for a year... I made a wrong decision in buying a trek 4300 disc for $600..it was so stupid decision.. it was not a bad bike, but for $600 I had bought something for less or better comments on bikesdirect... ..after one year and checking this forum . I bought a fantom pro 29 sl... and it is excellent bike... i recommend bikesdirect.. very good customer services

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got the 700HT a few months ago and so far I am very pleased. Everything is solid, assembly was minimal, and it required minimal adjustments. I made a few upgrades (saddle, grips, stem, & seat post), based on personal preferences. The only real problem was the seat post which was a bit too short, which appears to be a common complaint, but with the cost of the bike I am still ahead of the game with these upgrades. I have rode this bike hard on some technical rocky trails with no problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My 300ht is holding up great. At 259 too my door I really dont think I couldve gotten a better deal anywhere. Kind of wish I got the 400ht for the disc brakes but I got frame and fork mounts so I can ad those later.
    If my bottom of the barrel bike has kept me happy im sure any of the other bikes in their line will do the same and more for you

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Buy the Moto 600HT from Bikesdirect.com... you can't go wrong! I have both a Moto HT and a Moto FS and extremely happy with both. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. I just gotta figure out whether I wanna get a dawes HM1200, cliff4500, or step up to the cliff4900 (I know this has been covered many times!!!). Decisions, decisions. I'm waiting for my income tax to come in then I'll be pulling the trigger. Can anyone recommend a cheap bike computer that works good.
    Thanks,
    Erik

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I bought a motobecane aluminum CX bike from bikesdirect last summer and i could not be more pleased with it.

On wuss patrol
    Dawes Bullseye here with about 200 miles combined on/off road in the last month and it is pretty solid. Only issues have been slightly out of alignment rear caliper tabs and the wheels holding true. I ride a 21", am a larger guy and this thing has held up to some technical rocky/rooty trails quite nicely. I now am commuting/offroading with some gears and a suspension fork and it makes a fine hard tail. Takes about thirty minutes to turn it back into a minimalist rigid SS. Versatile reliability.

Update: Now has about 350 miles, getting some air time, ridden hard and no performance issues. A pic.

Last edited by Glide the Clyde; 02-02-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

S*it Happens!
    I had a Motobecane Fantom Elite HT and I do have a Motobecane Mirage Pro road bike. Never a issue with anything...they are great bikes!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

you never can tell
    Jul 2010
    I've been riding my Fantom HT Trail since mid-summer. Love the bike. Changed seat, seat post, & pedals (preference) - want to change the grips. Currently using it as a commuter w/ road slicks on it, but the knobbies will go back on in a few months or so.

I like the looks of the 600HT (matte black) and HM1500 (orange), myself.

You know my steez...

I'd recommend a Motobecane any day

I built a Motobecane Outcast 26 SS last year.

It was super affordable at $170 for the frame. I initially bought it because of the low price since I wasn't sure if I would like a singlespeed but; once I got it together the bike FAR exceeded my expectations and is now one of my favorite bikes. It's fairly light, it's fast and it looks good too.

I also own an Ibis, an Orbea and a Masi. For the money, the Moto cant be beat.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

ride for fun
    ive already put my phantom pro sl 29 through more abuse than any trek could have handled, and no major issues , meanwhile friends who dont ride as hard and have treks are on their 3rd frames (i never miss a chance to rub that in )
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    My Fantom Comp HT has been pretty good since I bought it in 2006. It was an oddly equipped bike: 22" wide flat bar and an 80mm RS Pilot fork. It now carries a 27"/2" riser bar and a Recon 120mm fork which made it a 'new' bike and fit the geometry much better. The original brake and shift cables/housing were terrible and were replaced with some Ripcord. All in all, I don't regret the purchase and just love it as I tear down the trails as fast as my riding buddies on their FS bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0