Honest Question about Moto Frame weight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Honest Question about Moto Frame weight

Hey all... Hard to believe that this hasn't been covered, but I've dug through just about every thread and I haven't seen this simple question addressed-

Moto Fly Team 29 Ti frame weight is something like 3.61 lbs
    According to Wrenchscience, the Moots Mooto X 29er is 4.24 lbs.

I know these are different frames. And there probably lots of reasons why this comparison is dumb. But the question stands: How did Motobecane shave 0.63 lbs of titanium off the frame? Im just curious how they did it. If anyone has experience with this frame, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'm most interested in getting the facts out there. I've read many, many opinions about flex, ride quality, and reliability of these frames. But I haven't gotten much insight on how this frame differs in design.

Frankly I might be more willing to buy the bike if the frame were half a pound heavier.

Thanks for clearing up my ignorance on this! I may contact bikesdirect and ask them directly.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Simple... 50% of the price of a moots frame goes toward stuffing the downtube with $100 bills to alleviate the annoying pinging that happens when pebbles fly off your front tire. The insulation also adds the extra weight. Duh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hah! But you get those bucks back when you resell your moots frame.

Anyways, I looked it into it a bit more and perhaps the Mooto X is on the higher end of ti 29er frame weights. There are other independents that come in at about the same weight as the moto Ti 29er. So i guess the real question is why the moots is 4.24 lbs???

mtbr member
    Thicker walled tubing?

Beefier welds?

More material due to the different geometry?

Take your pick.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jrat2010
    Hah! But you get those bucks back when you resell your moots frame.
    Uh... how do you figure you'd get the money out without cutting the frame apart ? Seems to me that you'd have to pass it on to the next owner.

Seriously though, the moto frames cost about $700 when you deduct the ebay value of the reba race it comes with. I'm very confident a used frame in good shape would get a solid $500 on ebay. Even if I got $300 after a few seasons use I wouldn't be upset since the initial investment wasn't that much.

As you probably noticed, I don't think anybody thats been on these forums has broken their moto ti frame yet, and they've been out for 2 solid years I believe. So if they do anything with the tubing to reduce the weight it doesn't seem to be a problem. For the record, my small frame was 3.22 lbs on a postal scale with the seatpost clamp.
    Last edited by 92gli; 06-15-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0