Hmmm I had a moto when I was a kid- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Hmmm I had a moto when I was a kid

So, I remember when my dad got orders and we moved to Germany in 1984. That summer I bought my first road bike. It was a Motobecane. A lugged steel frame. I believe it had a mix of Suntour and Single or something on it. I was disappointed as I got no help from my parents for the purchase as I really wanted to Cannondale R600 but just didn't have the funds. I rode that bike for a solid year and then the local shop I got it from helped me sell it and I finally got my Cannondale.

In any case, the Moto of old no longer makes bikes and is completely separate from Motobecane USA. The ones we see and own today. I did a quick search and Wikepedia came up with this:
    Motobécane was a French manufacturer of bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, and other small vehicles, established in 1923. "Motobécane" is a compound of "moto", slang for motorcycle; "bécane" is slang for "bike."
    In 1981, Motobécane filed for bankruptcy and was purchased by Yamaha and reformed in 1984 as MBK (pronounced "emm bay kah"); the French company continues to make motorscooters.
    It has no relation to Motobecane USA, which imports bicycles from Taiwan manufactured to their specification by Kinesis Industry Co. Ltd. under the Motobécane trademark.

After reading that I really wish I would have hung on to that stupid bike. When I bought it, it was already 2 years old and was probably one of the last handmade lugged frames that Motobecane ever made. Needless to say, I am happy with my new one though the slider design could be improved. Wouldn't mind having a ti frame though. Why don't they make a Ti frame with paragon sliders or an ebb? That would rock and I would quickly be in debt.

mtbr member
    The old Moto does have some history. Maybe if Mike is lucky his new Moto will develop one, too.

Quick question, where were you stationed in '84? I was lucky to have been stationed over there as a dep and then two more tours in the military.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Low Rep Count
    I was a dep back then myself. We lived in Worms and I went to highschool in Mannheim (near Heidelburg). I would love to go back and take my family some time. My wife and I keep saying that we are going to go over and watch a stage or two of the tour one day. Sorta our kids are gone present to ourselves.

mtbr member
    A nice central location to be stationed. Hope you got to see the sights when you were there.

As a dep I did my jr year in Kaiserslautern, then my senior year in Wiesbaden. While I was in K-town I tried to get a trip to the French PX because they had such good prices on Peugeots. Didn't work out so I settled on a cheaper version through the PX in Vogelweh. It's been rebuilt twice and my brother still has it in his basement.

My first tour in the military I was stationed at Giebelstadt near Würzburg. I was in the Heidleberg/Manheim area many times between '80-'85.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Low Rep Count
    Small world. I went to school in Mannheim for 8-11h and then came back to the states and graduated out in CO.

I remember having our prom in the Heidleburg castle. That was pretty cool. Yep, we went all over the place while we were there. October fest in Munich and Frankfurt, snowboarded in the Black Forest, been to Italy, Rome, Spain (spring break in spain with the school trip-think college spring break in Daytona), France, Loundon... Was on the strip in 88 when Greg Lemond won the tour by 8 seconds. It was ridiculous that day! I think that is why I want to take my wife back to see it in person. Total different feel compared to seeing it on tv.

mtbr member
    I was stationed at Ft Carson '86-'89. rofl

When I graduated we used the Kurhaus in Wiesbaden. Most of my vaca traveling was north. Netherlands and northern Germany where I have quite a few relatives and friends.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Low Rep Count
    That is too funny. My dad rotated back there when we left Germany. I graduated hs at Doherty! My mom still lives out there and works at Peterson AFB. My dad unfortunately died about 10 years ago. I don't get out there much though simply because of the cost and having to take the whole family. Normally my mom just flies out here to see my sister and I both in one shot.

I graduated in 90 and was there until 91 and then went to school up in Boulder for a couple of years before going in the Army myself.

mtbr lurker
    I was born in K-town in 89, if I remember correctly we lived on Fliegerstraße, and I just did study abroad in Mannheim where I lived across the Neckar right next to Herzogenriedpark. I really enjoyed it I just wish I could have done some mountain biking over there.

mtbr member
    I went to K-town HS for the '72-'73 school year. Then Wiesbaden HS for '73-'74. You make me feel my age.

Back when I was in the K-town area I was technically a roadie I suppose. Peugeot 10 speed with skinny tires and 'rat traps'. Rode the heck out of that bike.

On my tour in '89 (Stuttgart) I picked up yet another Peugeot but it was a 3x7 hybrid. The tires were almost knobby and were a bit fatter. Then I was doing some roads (for commuting to work) but mostly farmer trails, etc. I don't recall seeing many mtbs then. The few I did were mostly the 'new' Cannondales people got from the PX.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Low Rep Count
    Back in 89 you probably saw some of the old 46ers or 64's. I think that was around the time frame that Cannonodale put out their 26" front, 24" rear. Hell on top of that some of them were rocking bio-pace rings. If you could not make it up a hill with one of those it was time to buy a moped!

Sorry for the age thing, born in 71 here. My dad was stationed in Augburg when I was little I think back when I was around 4-6yrs old. Can't really remember exactly when this was and can't remember too much about the place..

mtbr member
    1SPD I was blaming Drew69's "I was born in K-town in 89" comment.

@Drew69, 3 of my 4 kids were born in Germany. The two oldest in Würzburg, #4, in Bad Windsheim (near Nürnberg) and #3 in Colo Spgs.

1SPD, as far as the Cannondales, for what I was used to seeing they were pretty wild looking and some were pretty expensive. Of course it's all perspective...
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Low Rep Count
    Dang! Now I'm the old one! Just turned 40 a couple weeks ago.

Yep, back then I remember seeing a couple of pink ones. Mine was a wierd green color and my dads was an electric blue. We swapped forks at one point on them just to be different.

Had rat trap pedals on it in the beginning but then Look came out with their clipless pedals and my dad and I bought eachother a pair for Chirstmas the first year they came out. No tension adjustment what so ever on the first models that I recall. Just all white with a black spring plate on the back. WW didn't exist back then so I can only imagine how much those suckers weighed. Then again, all wheels had 36 spokes back then so the bike probably weighed in at 25 lbs which was considered light in those days. Just scary.

Members who have read this thread: 0